Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page oh shit, new Ariel Pink song rules even harder
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2010, 11:45 AM   #61
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
got to love the holes in the tights........
Old 05.20.2010, 10:06 PM   #62
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
bonus track for Before Today.

its awesome.

its called 'Shades Away'

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzgnxn1yg2z

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2010, 10:20 PM   #63
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
^

you are awesome
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2010, 03:43 AM   #64
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
he has been plastered casted by cynthia plaster caster!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2010, 01:23 AM   #65
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm sure they'll give it, oh, a 7.9. Sounds about right, since pretty much every band who is actually good but whose label doesn't shower them in payment for ads 24/7 gets around a 7. On the other hand, if we start seeing a bunch of ads for his label/this release on p4k, it'll get an 8.5.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14324-before-today/

I'm actually really surprised you were wrong. kudos to pitchfork.

PS What a great record. This is said about a lot of albums, but it REALLY gets better after every damn listen
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2010, 03:41 AM   #66
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
an album getting a 9.0 on pitchfork is like finding an lp you really really want and have never heard before and can't find for download, but you realise someone has left a maggoty turd inside the jacket, and it still costs £35. you might take the chance but it's very very offputting.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2010, 06:32 AM   #67
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
8.5.. 9.0.. close enough! Lemme guess, his label had ads, or he was covered in the news or their video section a lot before release? If so, that means that they've been scanning the internet for leak hype, and they saw they couldn't miss the boat on this release, they had to give it an official rating of 9 or more, so people don't accuse them of missing out like they did with Kurt Vile, or so I've heard elsewhere on this board...

In all seriousness, it's a great record -- definitely deserves a 9, and honestly it's one of the few of the year I can see myself listening to well into next year. It's kinda nice that a band who actually KNOWS HOW TO WRITE SONGS (with, you know, progressions, parts that make sense and connect in intelligent and interesting ways... an understanding of dynamics and relationships between instruments... songwriting, ah, how I missed thee), and HAS RHYTHM (not faceless directionless drone skronk # 325o352o352 hipster moaning asshole releasing 2520250825 things a week to constantly be in your face) is getting so much positive attention. While the album has some immediately accessible songs and sections, it doesn't reveal its true beauty until quite a few listens, and the fact that it's almost sorta, y'know... I won't say "challenging", but, you know, maybe "not obvious" and "not completely simple", er.. gives me hope. I'd like to see a band like his get popular, really. One of the only times in history I can think of someone benefitting from better production, and having a big band, and not sounding like complete overpolished shit. I liked his no-fi stuff before, but his album is addictive as hell.

Seriously though, this stuff's good. I can't express it enough. Get this record.

Old 06.07.2010, 06:24 PM   #68
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Adam, Ariel's on 4AD, home of The National, TV on the Radio, Atlas Sound, etc,, basically everything p4k jizzes on, no way would they give this a bad review.
Old 06.07.2010, 06:51 PM   #69
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, there ya go then

There is a good possibility they actually find the record good, but I really think their reviews aren't motivated by the actual quality of a record. I don't think most "major publications" (online or print) are motivated by actual opinions. That's why most critics think the same exact thing about every single movie and album and so on... there's very few trustworthy critics left.

Old 06.07.2010, 07:29 PM   #70
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I mean I would imagine they probably like the record, a 9.0 is a pretty glowing review, they could've gone with anything a 7 or higher and it'd have been perceived as a good score so...whatever. But just saying, no way would they have trashed it.
Old 06.07.2010, 07:43 PM   #71
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Well, there ya go then

There is a good possibility they actually find the record good, but I really think their reviews aren't motivated by the actual quality of a record. I don't think most "major publications" (online or print) are motivated by actual opinions. That's why most critics think the same exact thing about every single movie and album and so on... there's very few trustworthy critics left.

I think your thing about the newsfeed/pre-release hype is the reason. Just searched Ariel Pink on P4k, they had announcements and links going back to months ago regarding Before Today. They've been monitoring this one for sure.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2010, 08:14 PM   #72
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Arieola pink?

Hey, Bytor, where is your sig from?! That looks awesome!

Old 06.08.2010, 05:10 PM   #73
moppity
little trouble girl

moppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's asses
I'm gonna buy the new album today. Really excited about it. I played some Ariel Pink to my flat mate last night, and he said it made him feel uncomfortable (in fact he said it reminded him of watching Twin Peaks). I love that.
moppity is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 06:01 PM   #74
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
I feel like I missed something. Ariel Pink does nothing for me.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 08:40 PM   #75
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Oh shit, this album leaked in April? I haven't been keeping up with leaks, but I have had my eye on this single since it showed up. I am gonna see him in July at Bimbo's hopefully.

Where is the leak, I've tried getting it via mediafire, but no luck.
Old 04.13.2011, 01:56 AM   #76
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Looking back on Before Today, Butthouse Blondies and Can't Hear My Eyes are easily my favorite tracks of the bunch.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth