Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth and Hole
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2008, 08:18 AM   #1
tjsween
empty page

tjsween has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
This is really gossipy. But does anyone know the details of what happened between Sonic Youth and Hole at Lollapalooza '95? Apparently they had some beef, which almost prevented Sonic Youth from participating in that Simpsons episode (Hole was originally slated to appear).

Courtney and Kim were all chummy on 120 Minutes (1992) after 'Pretty On the Inside' was recorded, but that was the last evidence I saw of them as friends.

Thurston and Lee later complimented Courtney's songwriting and Eric's guitar playing, but I know something happened around Lolla '95 that caused a rift. Anyone know?

These are two of my favorite bands, and it pains me to see drama.
tjsween is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 09:27 AM   #2
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.amazon.com/Online-Diaries.../dp/1887128204
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 10:00 AM   #3
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
possibly the truth was told to courtney about how everything she did since the start of side 2 on pretty on the inside has , and may i quote eric cartman here, "sucked big balls!"
Old 04.20.2008, 10:04 AM   #4
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
wasn't there some argument between Kathleen Hannah and Courtney Love? and Kim took Kathleen's side?

also, didn't Kim walk out of producing Pretty on the inside???
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 10:43 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"Lee Ranaldo also writes from the sonic perspective, of course in his more contemplative style usually except when he gets pissed off he shows it."

hahaha.

i love that.. the sonic perspective.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 11:13 AM   #6
tjsween
empty page

I was under the impression that Lee edited this -- maybe I'm wrong.

Since Hole was included, I assumed they may not have been totally pissed at Courtney.

But yeah, Courtney punched Kathleen backstage after she allegedly insulted her parenting skills. Those who say Kathleen never said anything to provoke her think Courtney took her frustration out on Kathleen because Kurt was once involved with her bandmate, Tobi Vail.

And Pauly, please no fallacious arguments, a la Courtney can't play guitar/can't sing, therefore Sonic Youth should loathe her.

The relationship between Courtney and Sonic Youth has always puzzled me.
Old 04.20.2008, 11:13 AM   #7
tjsween
empty page

Edited this, as in edited the tour diaries book.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth