Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Chicago Shows Reviews and Setlists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2009, 12:46 PM   #21
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Rupert....you goin' tonight? I think I might've saw you if you were the one I saw who got the setlist. I was up on teh balcony just chillin'.

Massage was definately the best.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 12:52 PM   #22
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
When Pantophobia and I were talking about which ones they'd leave out I
picked those two. I'd be surprised to see them this tour.

I actually thought they were gonna leave out Malibu Gas Station and Massage history.....but I guess I was wrong.
Old 06.28.2009, 01:09 PM   #23
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Yeah, I'll be there again tonight. Probably the same spot in front of Thurston.

I posted a full review of the show on my blog you can click on below. I also have two videos (almost full Tom Violence and just a bit of PCH) with two pictures if anyone is interested.

My predictions: Walkin Blue instead of What We Know; two from Rather Ripped, one being "Incinerate". Eric's Trip instead of Joni. And maybe Sugar Kane.

I also think they'll only play 8 off Eternal tonight.

Opener: Incinerate (?)... I got last night's right, but I'm sure most people figured they would open with the Trickster.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 01:13 PM   #24
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck I can't wait for next week.
Old 06.28.2009, 01:27 PM   #25
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

I can't wait for later!
Old 06.28.2009, 01:28 PM   #26
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

I don't know whether i should do balcony or floor tonight....probably floor to switch it up.
Old 06.28.2009, 01:33 PM   #27
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Is it me or did they mess up a little On Anti Orgasm and The Sprawl.
Old 06.28.2009, 01:36 PM   #28
cdollaz
little trouble girl

cdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's asses
That's kind of a disappointing set as far as old stuff goes. Pretty much taken from the same small group of tunes they have been doing the last few years. I was hoping they would break out some new old stuff. I would rather they just play the entire new album instead of the same old shit. Tom Violence, Bull In The Heather, Hey Joni, and PCH have been played to death the last few tours.
cdollaz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 01:39 PM   #29
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
what was teh merch like
mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 01:53 PM   #30
imsjry
empty page

imsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's assesimsjry kicks all y'all's asses
You forgot to mention Thurston cranking Chicago's-"Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is" through his amp. Loved it!

Most of the new songs sounded much better live with the exception of "Malibu Gas Station". Not sure why, but that one just doesn't gel live. Highlights of the show were "Antenna" and "Massage the History". Oh, and PCH was amazing.
imsjry is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 02:10 PM   #31
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsjry
You forgot to mention Thurston cranking Chicago's-"Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is" through his amp. Loved it!

Most of the new songs sounded much better live with the exception of "Malibu Gas Station". Not sure why, but that one just doesn't gel live. Highlights of the show were "Antenna" and "Massage the History". Oh, and PCH was amazing.

I really liked Malibu gas Station!

ps I couldn't hear what thurston was playing through the amp towards teh end of the show.

pps I never heard Tom Violence live so I fucking loved it.
Old 06.28.2009, 02:20 PM   #32
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Bull in the Heather again? I mean, really.

Yes Bull... needs to go. It needed to go a long time ago! It's just time filler now. It really all comes down to what's rehearsed I guess. And I'm not sick of Pink Steam yet. Instead of Bull they could beat Pink Steam to death for awhile now.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 03:11 PM   #33
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
sugar kane? that would be fantastic. they could rehearse it. i'd say it is easy to play, hahaha. never seen it live. would love it alright, but I doubt it.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 05:24 PM   #34
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
it's not out of the question, they brought back Sugar Kane when Jim was in the band
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 05:38 PM   #35
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like for Bull in the Heather to be retired for this tour. I really never found it that good.
Sugar Kane however..
mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 09:05 PM   #36
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that setlist sounds pretty disapointing...although I've never seen Tom Violence. I was really hoping to hear something off Washing Machine or Experimental Jet Set.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 10:02 PM   #37
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
A few things I'd like to see added... but, on the Bull In The Heather side of things, do remember - every show is SOMEONE'S first SY show (read: mine this Tuesday - aside from BAM which doesn't really count) ... and as predictable as BITH is, I kinda wanna see it - as it's long been a fav as far as their poppy side goes... but, if it's NOT there - we need something else good and classic (Sugar Kane would be AMAZING too)...

I just try to have some patience with stuff like that - every song is SOMEONE'S favourite, and every show is SOMEONE'S first...
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 10:44 PM   #38
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
which is why they should tear the place down with brother james!
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 10:59 PM   #39
Levitate Me
empty page

Levitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty disappointing compared to their other '09 shows, but oh well. I still can't wait to see them Tuesday.
Levitate Me is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 11:45 PM   #40
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Really? People are seriously complaining about that set list? Would you rather it be full of 'Kool Thing' '100%' 'Schizophrenia' 'Teenage Riot' 'Drunken Butterfly' and other songs that they truly HAVE played out over the past decade? I'd say in this set that 'Bull' is the only truly unwelcome tune (yes, I've warmed up to 'Tom Violence', and when it's not played every night it's actually pretty cool!). The only reason 'Bull' is unwelcome is NOT because they play it all the time (I could hear 'Brother James', 'Burning Spear', etc every night and never tire of them), but because it SUCKS LIVE.

Let's be realistic, people. Not only did they relearn ALL of 'Daydream Nation', so it makes perfect sense to carry some of those songs forward as 'old tunes in new set lists' (are people seriously complaining about seeing 'The Sprawl' or 'Hey Joni' on a fucking set list in 2009?!), but they also had to basically learn all of the new songs over again for the live translation. So, they kinda had their hands full with that, I'm not actually expecting to see any 'new old tunes' in the set list for a while. I'd be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting a 'Shaking Hell' or 'World Looks Red' this tour, which is fine because THEY STILL PLAY THOSE AMAZING SONGS!

Sorry, but touring for an album means playing the bulk of that album in the set list, which I'd hope we all want, and a handful of old tunes. I'm THRILLED to see 'PCH' and 'Hey Joni' and whatever else in the set list, over 'Schizophrenia' 'Skip Tracer' etc.. which are great songs but so overplayed. (And look, here I'm calling SKIP TRACER overplayed, I'd have laughed at myself 8 years ago if I ever knew I'd say that.)

Anyway... watch tonight's set list have 'Kool Thing' '100%' and all the rest.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth