Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Nurse Appreciation Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.04.2006, 03:06 PM   #21
foldback
bad moon rising

foldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to all
This will probably always stand as my favorite SY album. Their show at the Avalon in Boston in 2004 is probably still the best show I've ever seen, so the memory of Unmade Bed, Paper Cup Exit, Stones and Pattern Recognition lingers pretty loudly.

Long Live Sonic Nurse, I guess, would be the central thesis of this post.
foldback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 04:04 PM   #22
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
i dont what it is that makes me love this album, but i do.
stones, dripping dream, and paper cup exit are my faves
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 04:05 PM   #23
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i saw them on the nurse tour, it was quite spectacular.
i love you golden blue is my favorite.
Old 08.04.2006, 04:07 PM   #24
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Pattern Recognition was impressive live, too. Lee leaned out into the crowd with his Orange Jazzblaster. It was sex.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 06:15 PM   #25
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Its probably the Sonic youth album thats affected me most emotionally, Unmade bed, Golden Blue, Stones, Dude Ranch Nurse and Paper cup exit really struck a chord with me at the time. I had a chance to see them at Brixton Academy in September 04 which was before id bought Nurse, i wish to god i had done now as if it happened now it would probably be the greatest gig ever for me.
Ive STILL not seen Sonic youth play!
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 07:49 PM   #26
Asim
little trouble girl

Asim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to all
Same song x10. Poor production, too. One of SY's worst albums.
Asim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 08:30 PM   #27
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim
Same song x10. Poor production, too. One of SY's worst albums.

nah you could level that criticism at any SY album.
But sometimes the feel of an album just doesnt grab you (I still dont feel Washing machine)
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 10:26 PM   #28
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Appreciated
Old 08.04.2006, 11:01 PM   #29
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback
This will probably always stand as my favorite SY album. Their show at the Avalon in Boston in 2004 is probably still the best show I've ever seen, so the memory of Unmade Bed, Paper Cup Exit, Stones and Pattern Recognition lingers pretty loudly.

Long Live Sonic Nurse, I guess, would be the central thesis of this post.

Fuck yeah! That show was great! Remember how they opened up with Burning Spear and Thurston was going crazy with the guitar, scraping it agaiunst the walls and the amps? Amazing.

And remember his little spiel about Peter Frampton? Very funny.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 12:15 AM   #30
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Possibly my favorite since Washing Machine.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 09:39 AM   #31
foldback
bad moon rising

foldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Fuck yeah! That show was great! Remember how they opened up with Burning Spear and Thurston was going crazy with the guitar, scraping it agaiunst the walls and the amps? Amazing.

And remember his little spiel aboyt Peter Frampton? Very funny.
That opening (with Thurston trying to, I don't know, throw his guitar through the ceiling?) was one of the craziest things I've ever seen in person. It was something like 7 solid minutes of noise before "the Burning Spear" really got going, too. It was like a jet took off in that place.

The Peter Frampton bit (how he saw him in 1974 "and he sucked!") was funny, as was Lee saying "We took his beer." Any and all Simpsons references at shows are OK by me.

Another fun story from this show: I was standing along the raised part in the back so that I could see over everyone's heads, and during the last 20 minutes of the show (more or less from "Unmade Bed" on), there was what I think was a NAMBLA couple stitting in one of the booths in front of me. The guy had to be about 50, glasses, cowboy shirt and jeans, the kid about 8, and... man, I don't know, it was just creepy as hell. They didn't act like father/son or uncle/nephew, the guy was acting like this kid was his date, and was sort of singing the words to some of the songs (Unmade Bed, for example) to him... I was weirded out for a while there. They also had matching rings on their left ring fingers. Creepy.

What the hey, here's the setlist that night:

Sonic Youth
Boston, MA
08-14-2004

Burning Spear
Pattern Recognition
Disconnection Notice
Mote
New Hampshire
Sugar Kane
Dude Ranch Nurse
Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream
Stones
I Love You Golden Blue
Paper Cup Exit
White Cross
1st encore:
Unmade Bed
Pacific Coast Highway
2nd encore:
Expressway to Yr. Skul
Old 08.05.2006, 09:50 AM   #32
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
7/31/04

I Love You Golden Blue
Rain on Tin
Pattern Recognition
Unmade Bed
Paper Cup Exit
Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream
Stones
Schizophrenia
Mote
New Hampshire
Dude Ranch Nurse
Kool Thing
--
Plastic Sun
Sugar Kane
--
Teen Age Riot
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 10:24 AM   #33
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
The Toronto show at the kool haus was awesome. Unmade Bed had the crowd jumping, it was just so awesome to see so many people digging all the new songs from a band with a heavily worshipped back catalogue.

I remember Thurston asking the crowd what the 'hot read' was in town, and then joking that Lee was a '[Nicholas] Sparks fan'

They also screwed up on Dude Ranch Nurse when Thurston got the wrong guitar for the song. He apologized and gave Kim a hug with smiles all around.

Silver Rocket was excellent, with excellent use of their light blocks. During this song Sunburned Hand of the Man stood bowing on the side of the stage.

I Love You Golden Blue
100%
Pattern Recognition
Unmade Bed
Skip Tracer
Mariah Carey
Stones
New Hampshire
Paper Cup Exit
Silver Rocket
Dude Ranch Nurse
Drunken Butterfly
--
Disconnection Notice
Sugar Kane
--
Spressway
Expressway
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 12:45 PM   #34
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
it's such a lovely album to listen to at while driving at night.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:03 PM   #35
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
this was the set list when i saw them on his tour
I Love You Golden Blue
Stones
Pattern Recognition
Unmade Bed
Eric's Trip
Teenage Riot
New Hampshire
Mariah Carey
Paper Cup Exit
Dude Ranch Nurse
Brother James
--
PCH
Expressway

I dunno about this album though, its not one of my favourites, for me certain sonic youth albums really stand out like 'sister', 'evol', 'daydream nation', 'washing machine', and 'Murray Street'.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:07 PM   #36
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a big fan, but I just haven't been able to get into it. I love the artwork, though. I'm listening to it now and am not quite sure why I didn't like it in the first place. I think it just doesn't stick out as anything spectacular to me. Still good.

Dripping Dream has always been really bizarre to me. "Mother Africa awake your son" is just not something I expect to hear from them.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:23 PM   #37
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
It's one of my favorite albums.
Pattern recognition rocks for me.
Old 08.05.2006, 01:27 PM   #38
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I'm not a big fan, but I just haven't been able to get into it. I love the artwork, though. I'm listening to it now and am not quite sure why I didn't like it in the first place. I think it just doesn't stick out as anything spectacular to me. Still good.

Dripping Dream has always been really bizarre to me. "Mother Africa awake your son" is just not something I expect to hear from them.
the art on the LP is better because you can see it more clearly.
Old 08.05.2006, 01:30 PM   #39
foldback
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
the art on the LP is better because you can see it more clearly.
Of course, the art is always better on the LP

Be kind, people. Buy big, buy vinyl.
Old 08.05.2006, 01:32 PM   #40
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

my favorite is the painting of the blonde nurse on the back cover. i wonder who did those paintings?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth