Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Captain Beefheart Instrumentals
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2011, 02:27 PM   #21
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck em.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2011, 02:28 PM   #22
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I've spent more money on music in my life than anything else. Maybe, music gear.
Old 02.03.2011, 03:31 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Captains Holiday is quite horrible, I think itīs his worst song. Maybe he truly was on holiday when that song was recorded?

Quote from Don Van Vliet, via (now out of print, so pick up a copy before this thing costs $500; it's really really worth it -- it's nearly 900 pages long and is fucking extensive, tells some hilarious / embarassing / heart wrenching / tearjerking / wonderful / stupid / ridiculous / unholy stories via JOHN "Drumbo" FRENCH, who is smart and talented as hell -- I had no idea he played many drum and bass parts on the later material AS WELL AS playing guitar on every song on DOC... did you guys know that he played the guitar parts on Odd Jobs, Seam-Crooked Sam, and Thousandth and Tenth Day of the Human Totem Pole, on the original version of Bat Chain Puller? These are the most fucking complex songs ever. Technically, he might not have been as talented -- i.e. "the ability to play lots of notes really fast" -- as someone like Gary Lucas, but as far as having a musical memory and a great EAR, John was the man, and you know, he actually helped Beefheart compose just about every Beefheart song ever, except some of the stuff on DECALS, which Zoot did; some of the stuff on SAFE, which RY did; and most of the stuff on ICE CREAM, which Lucas did) BEEFHEART: THROUGH THE EYES OF MAGIC........

"Look at this song!" Don exclaimed, pointing at a song called Captain's Holiday. "I didn't even play on this one... I didn't go to the studio that day, so they did a whole song without me, and it ended up on the record!"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2011, 06:05 AM   #24
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Quote from Don Van Vliet, via (now out of print, so pick up a copy before this thing costs $500; it's really really worth it -- it's nearly 900 pages long and is fucking extensive, tells some hilarious / embarassing / heart wrenching / tearjerking / wonderful / stupid / ridiculous / unholy stories via JOHN "Drumbo" FRENCH, who is smart and talented as hell -- I had no idea he played many drum and bass parts on the later material AS WELL AS playing guitar on every song on DOC... did you guys know that he played the guitar parts on Odd Jobs, Seam-Crooked Sam, and Thousandth and Tenth Day of the Human Totem Pole, on the original version of Bat Chain Puller? These are the most fucking complex songs ever. Technically, he might not have been as talented -- i.e. "the ability to play lots of notes really fast" -- as someone like Gary Lucas, but as far as having a musical memory and a great EAR, John was the man, and you know, he actually helped Beefheart compose just about every Beefheart song ever, except some of the stuff on DECALS, which Zoot did; some of the stuff on SAFE, which RY did; and most of the stuff on ICE CREAM, which Lucas did) BEEFHEART: THROUGH THE EYES OF MAGIC........

"Look at this song!" Don exclaimed, pointing at a song called Captain's Holiday. "I didn't even play on this one... I didn't go to the studio that day, so they did a whole song without me, and it ended up on the record!"

It was just my thought, kind a funny, itīs true!!! I really think itīs the only Beefheart song I dislike totally and so it even isnīt Beefheart song.

About Drumbo, it was quite funny to read in Beefheartīs wikipedia pages Drumboīs telling how the house is build if it is build as Beefheart makes songs. But somehow the Magic Band couldnīt make as great music without Captain. I havenīt heard that stuff, but no-one hasnīt say it is as good or even greater.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2011, 12:01 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
which songs? you mean, Mallard? Or the reformed magic band? the reformed magic band didn't have any original songs. As for mallard -- the first mallard album, with art tripp and drumbo and zoot horn and rocket morton and so on.. that is actually a damn good album. The second mallard album isn't even as good as UNCONDITIONALLY GURANTEED.

Drubmo released a new cd a few years back called CITY OF REFUGE.. it has gary lucas on it, I beleive, as well as rocket morton,ella guru, zoot horn rollo, etc.. all songs written by drumbo. It's got some damn good songs on it. There are at least 4 songs on that disc that are as good as, oh, CLEAR SPOT, or something. But all in all it's not the most consistent release in the world, but I do dig it.

drumbo did some stuff with henry kaiser that is worth a listen also.

Old 02.06.2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
which songs? you mean, Mallard? Or the reformed magic band? the reformed magic band didn't have any original songs. As for mallard -- the first mallard album, with art tripp and drumbo and zoot horn and rocket morton and so on.. that is actually a damn good album. The second mallard album isn't even as good as UNCONDITIONALLY GURANTEED.

Drubmo released a new cd a few years back called CITY OF REFUGE.. it has gary lucas on it, I beleive, as well as rocket morton,ella guru, zoot horn rollo, etc.. all songs written by drumbo. It's got some damn good songs on it. There are at least 4 songs on that disc that are as good as, oh, CLEAR SPOT, or something. But all in all it's not the most consistent release in the world, but I do dig it.

drumbo did some stuff with henry kaiser that is worth a listen also.

I meaned reformed Magic Band. I have heard the album they made isnīt very good. I have known they formed Mallard in the seventies, but never heard any songs from them. Never heard about that Drumboīs solos. I have to listen the Mallard and Drumbo material some day.
Old 02.06.2011, 07:33 PM   #27
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Btw, I forgot "One Red Rose".

I can't believe noone's mentioned that one yet..
Old 02.06.2011, 07:47 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I meaned reformed Magic Band. I have heard the album they made isnīt very good. I have known they formed Mallard in the seventies, but never heard any songs from them. Never heard about that Drumboīs solos. I have to listen the Mallard and Drumbo material some day.

I guess I'm confused, because it's basically just perfect (mostly instrumental) versions of old Magic Band songs. There really isn't anything to it other than that. It's nothing less than stellar, considering it's just the same musicians palying the same awesome songs they've been playing for 40 years. Granted, no Captain on top ranting away kinda sucks, but it helps to highlight the music.

BTW, everyone, my new # 1 is the 2nd half of VETERAN'S DAY POPPY. I'm going to just call it (instrumental part of vdp). Hell, Black Sabbath would have given it its own title!

Old 02.07.2011, 04:46 AM   #29
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I guess I'm confused, because it's basically just perfect (mostly instrumental) versions of old Magic Band songs. There really isn't anything to it other than that. It's nothing less than stellar, considering it's just the same musicians palying the same awesome songs they've been playing for 40 years. Granted, no Captain on top ranting away kinda sucks, but it helps to highlight the music.

BTW, everyone, my new # 1 is the 2nd half of VETERAN'S DAY POPPY. I'm going to just call it (instrumental part of vdp). Hell, Black Sabbath would have given it its own title!

I thought they made whole new material that wasnīt very great. Well, maybe I have to listen it too.

I am just listening Mallard from youtube and I have to say I was very suprised! Very great band, of course not as great as Beefheart at his best, but I think that material I have listened is much better than for example Unconditionally-material. Somebody has said to me, that Mallard has kind of country influences, but I think there is not that much of them (well maybe in that "Desperato" song is), I think theyīve gone more seventies prog-rock direction and that was a great direction to me!!! Definetely I try to search both Mallard albums (I like also the second lp-material).

By the way, have you got original Beefheart vinyls? I have only Lick my Decals, Mirror Man, Bluejeans and maybe Doc (Thereīs only plain paper-bag inside of it, maybe Iīm wrong but I remembered my friend had a version thereīs some Beefheart drawings on the paper bag). Mirror and Bluejeans are not in best condition, there is that kind of gatefold in Mirror man, there is a hole in front cover and a little piece left over it someday in the past (they were second hand already I bought them). Trout mask is seventies reprise-re-release, in covers it is said "Straight" but the labels are "Reprise" and the lyrics are not with. The rest of my vinyls are all re-releases, Unconditionally is from the seventies, the rest are eighties or newer pressings.

About Veteranīs day, I have always liked a lot a that song, itīs just so great ending of the album!!!
Old 02.07.2011, 08:11 AM   #30
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Strictly Personal is also from the seventies, so called "Rock-file" cheap re-release. I feel still pity, because in one music shop there was I think English original Strictly Personal vinyl (there was that hilarious picture from the band on the gatefold). It wasnīt really expensive, but then my financial situation was very bad. But you can quess Iīve never seen that album on the original covers anymore! Of course the music is the most important, but that "Rock-file" -release just look as cheap as it has been.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth