Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lets Talk More About Sonic Youth Songs!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.15.2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
In honor of Rob's excellent thread here are a few more questions that hopefully lead to more songs!

1. What Sonic Youth song makes you feel the most aggressive?

2. What's your favorite Sonic Youth cover of another artist's song?

3. What, if any, Sonic Youth cover do you wish they hadn't messed with?

4. What's you favorite cover of a Sonic Youth song by somebody else?

5. What's your favorite Sonic Youth instrumental?

6. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think shines above the rest of the album it's on?

7. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think doesn't belong on the album it's on (no bonus tracks, real albums!)?

8. What's your favorite Sonic Youth song with a guest star?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2009, 10:54 PM   #2
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Genetic. that song kicks anyone's ass

I'm Not There.

None .

Yeah Yeah Yeah's Diamond Sea. not that bad.

Kim's Chords. absolutly perfect.

6. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think shines above the rest of the album it's on?
Free City Rhymes.

7. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think doesn't belong on the album it's on (no bonus tracks, real albums!)?
I could live without Panty Lies.

In The Kingdom #19
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Shoot

Superstar

not really sure what this is asking

Haven't heard many (if any, honestly)

Kim's Chords

Sweet Shine (no pun)

I dunno... all of the album tracks (even the weaker ones) seem to fit in with the overall album sound

Death Valley 69
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 02:03 AM   #4
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
1. What Sonic Youth song makes you feel the most aggressive? The Ineffable Me

2. What's your favorite Sonic Youth cover of another artist's song? Superstar

3. What, if any, Sonic Youth cover do you wish they hadn't messed with? Blonde Redhead (DNA)

4. What's you favorite cover of a Sonic Youth song by somebody else? N/A

5. What's your favorite Sonic Youth instrumental? Silver Sessions (all, as a concept) or Radio-Amatoroj from SYR3

6. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think shines above the rest of the album it's on? Pink Steam (Rather Ripped)

7. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think doesn't belong on the album it's on (no bonus tracks, real albums!)? Kim Gordon And The Arthur Doyle Hand Cream (Sonic Nurse)

8. What's your favorite Sonic Youth song with a guest star? Mats Gustafsson on Lightnin' 7'' Single
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Kill Yr Idols
I'm Not There
I don't know.
Haven't heard any
Intro
Washing Machine
Death Valley '69. Only because it doesn't flow and overlap like the other tracks do.
Death Valley '69
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 03:04 AM   #6
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Youth Against Fascism

I'm Not There

Probably Bubblegum

Cat Power - Schizophrenia Is Weighing Me Down

Anagrama

The Diamond Sea

Kim Gordon + Arthur Doyle Handcream

Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
1. What Sonic Youth song makes you feel the most aggressive? ORANGE ROLLS

2. What's your favorite Sonic Youth cover of another artist's song? I'M NOT THERE/SUPERSTAR/WITHIN YOU

3. What, if any, Sonic Youth cover do you wish they hadn't messed with? HOTWIRE MY HEART (CUZ IT FUCKIN RUINS SISTER)

4. What's you favorite cover of a Sonic Youth song by somebody else? WINNER's BLUES by CHRIS LAWRENCE cuz i just heard it...

5. What's your favorite Sonic Youth instrumental? ANAGRAMA immediately popped into mind but obviously my mind meant RIM THRUSTERS (..or maybe DEATH TO OUR FRIENDS)

6. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think shines above the rest of the album it's on? NYC GHOSTS & FLOWERS

7. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think doesn't belong on the album it's on (no bonus tracks, real albums!)? oops i already said HOTWIRE MY HEART... hmm possibly CONTRE LE SEXISME, i see what they were trying to do but making it the opener probably turned people off what was already a challenging (but rewarding) album...

8. What's your favorite Sonic Youth song with a guest star? i think DEATH VALLEY '69 is pretty fucking cool. any song that makes me want to sing both parts when i hear it deserves some recognition.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 03:26 AM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
White Cross, 'Cross the Breeze, Inhuman
I Wanna Be Yr Dog
Victoria
Kim Gordon's Panties by Rapeman is sort of a Sonic Youth cover. My cover of Star Power is a recording I made that I actually listen to for entertainment. Weird. I usually prefer not to listen to myself.
Providence
Bull in the Heather
Chapel Hill- should have been a B-side
Either Kool Thing or Death Valley '69 kind of a toss-up. I like both songs for different reasons.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:02 AM   #9
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I Wanna Be Your Dog (Yes, it's a cover blah blah)

Superstar I guess
Some of the stuff of Whitey Album
When my band did Schizophrenia
Lee is Free
Diamond Sea, due to it's length and awesomeness and mediocrity of some of the other tracks on Washing Machine
Winner's Blues doesn't fit EJSTNS, it's a shame as it is such a great song.
Providence
Old 01.16.2009, 04:47 AM   #10
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Incinerate

Into the Groovey ("Get into the Groove")

Santa Doesn't Cop Out on Dope by Martin Mull (Even though I've never heard it the thought of it is kind of painful)

n/a--never heard one

SYR 8 (Andre Sider Af Sonic Youth)

n/a--can't think of one

n/a--can't think of one

Panty Lies
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:27 AM   #11
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
mote. kill your idols. death valley69.

moist vagina.

the Simpsons theme.

Vitamin String Quartet's Shadow of a Doubt.

The Good and the Bad. It's great.

MH! hard question. I guess my favorite from each album (I don't want to bore you with my favorite song from every album)

sympathy for the strawberry, maybe.

mote. death valley.

ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 06:45 AM   #12
repeater
bad moon rising

repeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's asses
No II pt 1-4

Personality Crisis

can´t think of any

Mudhoney: Halloween

Anagrama

Pink Steam

Kim Gordon and the Arthur...

Death Valley ´69
repeater is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 06:48 AM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
ihateyouth - can you change your sig please? You're scaring the kids.
Old 01.16.2009, 07:16 AM   #14
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl

Who's the guest-star here?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 07:51 AM   #15
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Stereo Sancity + Brother James (live circa Nurse tour, shit this is the most powerful stuff i've ever been exposed to in a live gig by any band - 2005)

probably Superstar, but i also really like the bunch of Fall covers.

didn't like the Dylan one, but i'm not into covers really. so i don't care.

dunno, don't care.

anagrama by far

don't have a clue, all their albums including RR sound well balanced to me.

i don't really dig Rats or Sleepin' around.
and never liked Goo, the song.

little trouble girl
Old 01.16.2009, 07:53 AM   #16
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Who's the guest-star here?

Jim Sauter and Don Dietrich.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 07:57 AM   #17
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
3. What, if any, Sonic Youth cover do you wish they hadn't messed with? HOTWIRE MY HEART (CUZ IT FUCKIN RUINS SISTER)

abso-bloody-lutely. I always thought i was the only one to think this was totally out of place on Sister. Well said.
Old 01.16.2009, 08:03 AM   #18
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Yeah it really bothers me, that song.
Old 01.16.2009, 08:16 AM   #19
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
O.k., my answers

1. What Sonic Youth song makes you feel the most aggressive? "Brother James" (one of my top 5 songs too!)

2. What's your favorite Sonic Youth cover of another artist's song? "Ca Plane Pour Moi"! ("Today Yr. Love, Tomorrow the World" is really close though)

3. What, if any, Sonic Youth cover do you wish they hadn't messed with? "Within You Without You" is really pretty mediocre and not up to the standards of SY or the original song.

4. What's you favorite cover of a Sonic Youth song by somebody else? I was going to say "Schizophrenia" by Wixel, but then I remembered "Becuz" by William Hooker which just totally rules!

5. What's your favorite Sonic Youth instrumental? "Invito Al Cielo"

6. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think shines above the rest of the album it's on? "Or"

7. What's a Sonic Youth song that you think doesn't belong on the album it's on (no bonus tracks, real albums!)? "Sunday" though it's one of my favorite songs just doesn't fit on A Thousand Leaves.

8. What's your favorite Sonic Youth song with a guest star? "Death Valley '69"
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 08:23 AM   #20
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
]1. What Sonic Youth song makes you feel the most aggressive?
Orange Rolls, Angels Spit

Superstar

Moist Vagina, but honestly, SY are real iffy with cover versions. Most of them aren't that great.

Halloween, by Mudhoney

Anagrama

NYC Ghosts and Flowers

Hotwire My Heart (sounds like fun to record, but compared to the rest of Sister?)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth