Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Play Within The Play
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.03.2007, 10:00 AM   #1
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I'm reading this book, A Frolic of His Own by Gaddis, and it has a play within the novel, written by one of the characters. It also has opinions written by judges and other things. I was thinking how much I liked the device. Like in Hamlet and other Shakespeare. I also immediately think of Pale Fire by Nabokov.

There's a rather terrible Wikiopedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_within_a_story). It claims that there are examples in music. This is what I'm trying to think of. I suppose it has to be dramatic music. I can think of some not very good examples: Stravinsky's A Soldier's Tale or the bar room pianist in Wozzeck. There has to be a good example in musical theatre or even in a rock opera or whatever. I guess that maybe something like A Little Help From My Friends might work too. I know it freed the Beatles to imagine performing as if they were a different band. Any other ideas?

What I really like is when the "play within the play" is in a recognizably different style from the rest. You know, right?
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 10:33 AM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Prof. PoppinFresh
empty page

Prof. PoppinFresh chews with a vagina dentataProf. PoppinFresh chews with a vagina dentataProf. PoppinFresh chews with a vagina dentataProf. PoppinFresh chews with a vagina dentata
I wrote a play. Does anyone want to read it?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth