Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.09.2017, 12:53 AM   #21601
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It kinda bombed at the box office I guess, but I attribute that to the R-rating, the cult nature of the fan base for the original, and on the runtime (2 hours and 44 minutes... it’s long, though it doesn’t feel long).

Anyway, I walked out of the theater thinking, “If that movie doesn’t get nominated for Best Picture, then the only reason is that the world will have ended before noms can be announced.”

But now I wonder... Forbes calls it a “total bomb” and the Rotten Tomatoes score is down from 98% to 89%.

STILL... I was absolutely blown away. I read a negative review from some bullshit website called “Little White Lies,” where the author seemed to have been watching a completely different film than the one I was watching. It comes up almost immediately if you Google the movie, but I’ve never heard of the place.

Anyway, key demographic is old nerds like us, but younger generations would be remiss to not soak this movie up.

I can’t even really process it all yet, but I think Debis Villeneuve is... (gasp) ... actually — possibly — better at cerebral thrillers than Christopher Nolan

I know... *my* Christopher Nolan! That’s not to say Blade Dunner 2049 is better than Dark Knight (not), but I think there’s a bit more finesse In Villeneuve’s VERY Nolan- and Kubrick-esque touch.

I will have more to say about this for sure. But in short ...

Blade Runner 2049 is not only my favorite movie of the year (keep in mind I have not seen Dunkirk), it’s the best attempt at rebooting a sci-fi classic. It leaves The Force Awakens in its dust. And Star Trek. And Fury Road.

But BR was never as big as those films, so it can’t be expected to outperform them. But anyone with a brain will find that the only negative about this movie is possible the backache you get from watching it in an uncomfy chair (worth it).

Deserves a Best Picture nod for fucking sure.

does the ghost of original Blade Runner haunts Blade Runner 2049?

“Blade Runner 2049 will be one of the great disappointments of 2017. Weekend box office was just $31.5 million, about half of what it should have been.
What went wrong? The only thing I can say is, October is not an Oscar month. With an 89 on Rotten Tomatoes, falling slightly from a 98, I thought more would have been made of this stunning film. But there was no New York premiere, no NY hoopla, and in LA Warner Bros. waited so long for a premiere that they got knocked out by the tragedy in Las Vegas. So the west coast premiere went off the record with red carpet.
Also, just Monday morning quarterbacking, there might have been a week of the original “Blade Runner” in theaters or on platforms so the audience didn’t feel lost. A lot of people felt that if they didn’t know the first movie they wouldn’t get this one. So only hardcore fans went to see 2049.
What a shame. You don’t need to see the original to enjoy “2049.” You can go and enjoy it for what it is. Denis Villeneuve has made his own masterpiece, with a great performance by Ryan Gosling and and amazing cinematography by Roger Deakins."

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/10/08...-huge-build-up

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 05:24 AM   #21602
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
watch the version without the voiceover
it's the best version
i forget the name-- there are many many many versions
but that one is the one
unless there are multiple versions of that lol

eta yeah go for the 2007 "final cut" i guess

which i havent seen i think ha ha ha (but now i wanna)

failing that go for the 92 directors cut

Must watch whichever version ends with the origami sheep. Period. I forget which version that is, but that is THE one.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 06:35 AM   #21603
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Must watch whichever version ends with the origami sheep. Period. I forget which version that is, but that is THE one.
wont spoil it but a sheep it is not

so yes 2007 final cut (just read last night) contains everything that should be there plus nothing that shouldnt
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 09:53 AM   #21604
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
wont spoil it but a sheep it is not

so yes 2007 final cut (just read last night) contains everything that should be there plus nothing that shouldnt

Whatever the fuck it is then. Shit. There’s an origami sheep in the new one.

What is it? Fuck.
Old 10.09.2017, 10:00 AM   #21605
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I'll probably see it, but am not too thrilled.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 10:56 AM   #21606
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Whatever the fuck it is then. Shit. There’s an origami sheep in the new one.

What is it? Fuck.
i'll tell you over PM later
Old 10.09.2017, 10:59 AM   #21607
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I always get Blade Runner confused with Brazil.

Only slightly trolling.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 11:18 AM   #21608
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Brazil was awesome! Had it all, shoe hats, ductwork, Central Services!

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 12:29 PM   #21609
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

one of my favorite movies ever

blew my mind first time i saw it

or was it the weed?
Old 10.09.2017, 01:22 PM   #21610
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

okay so i have the option of seeing the new blade runner "standard" "3d" "xd" and "3d xd" -- i think

wtf is this bullshit and which one should i choose?

no 3d for me-- fucking headaches and gimmicks

standard sounds like a sweet deal so far ha ha ha
Old 10.09.2017, 01:57 PM   #21611
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
okay so i have the option of seeing the new blade runner "standard" "3d" "xd" and "3d xd" -- i think

wtf is this bullshit and which one should i choose?

no 3d for me-- fucking headaches and gimmicks

standard sounds like a sweet deal so far ha ha ha

Just go standard. 3D is just gimmicky shit that's too expensive.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2017, 04:54 PM   #21612
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Just go standard. 3D is just gimmicky shit that's too expensive.

Agreed. I did standard and it was perfectly glorious and immersive. Great sound, great cinematography. I think 3-D would actually fuck the movie up.

Go see it though.

Not even Jared Leto could tarnish this thing. It’s just MOMENTOUS. Seriously. It is an epic and a half.
Old 10.09.2017, 06:49 PM   #21613
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a good question. I can't be arsed to read through 1085 pages of replies to see if it's been asked before.

What movies were big at the theaters, but in hindsight, are generally considered to be stinkers now?

Trying to counter naysayers that think Blade Runner 2049 is only as good as the box office totals.
Old 10.09.2017, 07:14 PM   #21614
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Here's a good question. I can't be arsed to read through 1085 pages of replies to see if it's been asked before.

What movies were big at the theaters, but in hindsight, are generally considered to be stinkers now?

Trying to counter naysayers that think Blade Runner 2049 is only as good as the box office totals.

Titanic?
Rush Hour?
Fast and the Furious?
Spider-Man?
ALL the Star Wars prequels?
Every Jurassic Park movie other than Jurassic Park?

Batman V. Superman was HUUUGE at the box office, but look at that.

Fury Road didn’t really become a blockbuster until it got the Oscar nom, then it returned to theaters and became a “classic.”

Blade Runner 2049 was objectively amazing form any and all perspectives. Yes, Gosling plays a quiet guy. He doesn’t always, but he did here. But the character was far from one dimensional or mute. This wasn’t “Kid” from Drive all over again.

People are idiots. I haven’t seen such an elegant film in the theater in ages.
Old 10.09.2017, 07:20 PM   #21615
Severian
invito al cielo

^^^

Also, that position would mean that the original Blade Runner isn’t actually that good. It was a hit, sure, but not a smash. It wasn’t Star Wars. So anyone arguing that the BRILLIANT new film is bad because it’s not making Avengers dough would have to apply that same reasoning to the original.

How much did Memento make?
Batman Begins?
No Country for Old Men?
Drive? Fucking Drive ass Drive?! HOW MUCH DID FUCKING DRIVE MAKE, NAYSAYERS?!!! WHAT ABOUT EX-MACHINA?

Fuck them.
Old 10.09.2017, 07:21 PM   #21616
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Agreed. I did standard and it was perfectly glorious and immersive. Great sound, great cinematography. I think 3-D would actually fuck the movie up.

Go see it though.

Not even Jared Leto could tarnish this thing. It’s just MOMENTOUS. Seriously. It is an epic and a half.
did a little research. looks like XD is the way to go. not 3D XD (which is a thing) but "just" XD (looks like im laughing on the interwebs) -- mega-screen, massive sound system, great projection... looks like the successor to the THX standard

http://1025kiss.com/cinemark-introdu...theater-video/

i might try that one
Old 10.09.2017, 07:27 PM   #21617
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
did a little research. looks like XD is the way to go. not 3D XD (which is a thing) but "just" XD (looks like im laughing on the interwebs) -- mega-screen, massive sound system, great projection... looks like the successor to the THX standard

http://1025kiss.com/cinemark-introdu...theater-video/

i might try that one

Awww man they didn’t offer that at the shitcan I went to.

I envy you sir.

Bring some ibuprofen for the old lower back if they don’t have cushy seats. Trust me. It doesn’t *feel* long, but that fucker is LOOOOOOONG.
Old 10.09.2017, 11:02 PM   #21618
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I actually like Titanic as an every now and then thing, and that's just fine.
Old 10.10.2017, 12:22 PM   #21619
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
I actually like Titanic as an every now and then thing, and that's just fine.

That is just fine! But it does qualify, right? I mean, it made tons of dough (still more than any movie ever?) and even won Best Picture, but it’s generally considered pretty crap. Not judging you or the movie, just trying to provide ammunition for your noble battle against Blade Runner 2049 naysayers who suck and are stupid.
Old 10.10.2017, 01:35 PM   #21620
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That is just fine! But it does qualify, right? I mean, it made tons of dough (still more than any movie ever?) and even won Best Picture, but it’s generally considered pretty crap. Not judging you or the movie, just trying to provide ammunition for your noble battle against Blade Runner 2049 naysayers who suck and are stupid.

Nah, Titanic as a film is just fine. There's some good stuff in that and James Cameron actually did a good job of a film that could have easily been an absolute mess. If you'd said Pearl Harbour you'd have a point.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
58198110311071107810791080 1081 108210831084109111311181 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth