Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Artists in 2010s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.15.2016, 05:11 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
You're a tough nut to crack, p_green.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2016, 05:20 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I think what he is saying is, and it mirrors what Kim Gordon has said, that the whole 2 guitars, bass, drums, thing is DEAD and BORING.

It is hard to do anything new with the old Rock format, unless it is to meld some other non-rock genre into rock. The kids now hear rock instrumentation and it grates on their ears for it is the sound of every shit ass commercial on TV every fucking movie out of hollywood, etc. I used to feel the same way about folk/acoustic instrumentation, psychedelic "rock", big band music. In the late 70's early 80's those sounds were used to advertise to the old folks, and as a kid I HATED THEM

the kids nowadays want to cry everytime they are forced to hear another goddamn The Who track used as a soundtrack to a TV show or a commercial.

In 20 years the boom bap of Hip Hop will be heard the very same way....
Old 01.15.2016, 05:41 PM   #23
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a list of bands (pretty much all rock bands) that at some point in the last 10 years, or now, did a good or great job of blending melody/song writing, with dischord/weirdness/fuzz:

Far Out Fangtooth
Times New Viking
7 Year Rabbit Cycle
Religous Knives
Bardo Pond
Degreaser
Naked on the Vague
Cruel Summer
Helen
Eat Skull
Joshua Jugband 5
Major Stars
Aural Fit
The Oh Sees (and CastleFace Records)
TV Ghost
Talk Normal
Sic Alps
Teenage Panzerkorps
The Mantles
Tractor Sex Fatality
Human Adult Band
Wooden Shjips
Up-Tight
Suishou No Fune
LSD March
Kurt Vile & The Violators
Tyvek
Spacin'
Home Blitz
Dial
Mayyors
MV&EE
Puffy Areolas
Ty Segall
Magik Markers (Their Drag City releases)
Total Control
Peaking Lights
Kitchen's Floor
Pocahaunted
Factums
Blank Realm
Slug Guts
Wet Hair
White Hills
Circle Pit
Sky Needle

I hope you check them out and enjoy them!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2016, 11:11 PM   #24
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://youtu.be/0LoFcPDJvQI

Autechre "Ae" Live Dublin 19/12/14

these guys are making some of their best music, 25 years into their career. check the latter half of the set for some outright gorgeous sound realms.
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2016, 01:24 AM   #25
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Here are some new finnish ones that sound little bit SY (I really love these)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgMFmr1OQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBlh9nARFZs
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2016, 11:20 AM   #26
Niklas
empty page

Niklas has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thanks everyone for all suggestions! I will check out all the bands you mentioned.

Some of you seem to be skeptical about alternative rock music (2 guitars, bass, drums etc.) and instead talk about electronic music and hip hop. That's ok with me, but then, who are the Sonic Youth of the electronic and hip hop scene then?
Niklas is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2016, 12:29 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas
Thanks everyone for all suggestions! I will check out all the bands you mentioned.

Some of you seem to be skeptical about alternative rock music (2 guitars, bass, drums etc.) and instead talk about electronic music and hip hop. That's ok with me, but then, who are the Sonic Youth of the electronic and hip hop scene then?

Dude. I have no idea how to answer that. Like, for real. I'm not even sure where Sonic Youth stands in their own world/worlds. I tend to think of them as the Fab Four of the underground, but I'm not exactly objective.

Sonic Youth is, honestly, a pretty big name in music even if they never had a platinum album or top ten single. They made critically acclaimed music for three consecutive decades and kind of influenced everyone who followed in their general genre. So if you're going by that, I suppose a case could be made for Aphex Twin as the Sonic Youth of electronic music. But that just kinda feels like Severain talking about Severian shit.

A case could also be made for Autechre, Fridge (way underrated but seminal as hell... Wouldn't have Four Tet without this group), DJ spooky, Black Dog...

It's a super weird thing to try to pin down. Sonic Youth themselves had a tremendous influence on electronic and ambient music. But they were never futurists.

As for hip-hop, that's even more difficult. As a massive hip-hop nerd and obsessive follower of pretty much all the different variations of the genre, I have no quick and easy answer to the question, "who's the Sonic Youth of hip-hop?" I'm not even sure how to start addressing that question.

Easiest answer is probably Public Enemy. But it's not like that's breaking news or anything.
Old 01.17.2016, 06:16 PM   #28
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Fridge were a 2nd tier example of what was pretty wide spread style of music in the late 90s, and speaking of the 90s autechre's 90s music is fairly enjoyable, but ever since confield I've found their music to be the most boring stuff I've ever heard.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2016, 08:42 PM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
besides. old SY still sounds pretty goddamn awesome. why bother with copy cats. unless there's a major personallty behind it and it blows your balls off.....why bother?

Massive understatement, but you're right. Early SY records ("early" is a bit relative with them, but let's assume you're talking about the '80s material) are more exciting to me on the umpteen-thousandth listen than most of the best new records are the first time around.

But I feel that way about Goo as well. And large chunks of both Dirty and Experimental Jet Set. And certainly everything from Washing Mashine - Nurse. (Love Ripped and the Eternal too, but in a different way).

But I digress... you're right. Sonic Youth still sounds so amazing that I only have a trivial curiosity about who might be the "new" version of them. Mostly because there is no new SY. If, at any time, there was, it probably would have been a role shared by Unwound, early '90s Pavement, late '90s Modest Mouse and early 00's Radiohead. But no single band has ever come close to being a full-fledged "new/next" Sonic Youth.

Quote:
has anyone heard Daydream Nation lately? it's like it never left the record player. it still creeps up the spine with feel good menace.

though im more a Sister type of person.

Yes! In fact, I listened to it while driving through a blizzard just ― an hour ago. And I listened to it twice throughout the week.

It still sounds more powerful and relevant and glorious than virtually any other record I can think of. It still manages to push more serotonin ("Teen Age Riot"), dopamine ("Cross the Breeze"), and adrenaline ("Eliminator Jr") into my neruoreceptors than any pharmaceutical.

I'm more of a Sister kind of guy too. Always have been. Mostly because Sister represents a band in transition, from art-rock infused hardcore and schizo-punk to something far more seamless and unique. Sister shows a becoming the best band in the world. With Daydream, they were already there. They were in top form, and the record works like one uninterrupted epic thought. There's no growth taking place before your eyes on Daydream Nation. So even thought it's a perfect album, I have always leaned toward Sister as my "favorite."

But you're totally right. Daydream Nation is still, nearly three decades after its release, every bit as gripping, intelligent and seminal as it ever was. It also puts most music from just about any genre to shame.
Old 01.18.2016, 02:00 AM   #30
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Massive understatement, but you're right. Early SY records ("early" is a bit relative with them, but let's assume you're talking about the '80s material) are more exciting to me on the umpteen-thousandth listen than most of the best new records are the first time around.

But I feel that way about Goo as well. And large chunks of both Dirty and Experimental Jet Set. And certainly everything from Washing Mashine - Nurse. (Love Ripped and the Eternal too, but in a different way).

But I digress... you're right. Sonic Youth still sounds so amazing that I only have a trivial curiosity about who might be the "new" version of them. Mostly because there is no new SY. If, at any time, there was, it probably would have been a role shared by Unwound, early '90s Pavement, late '90s Modest Mouse and early 00's Radiohead. But no single band has ever come close to being a full-fledged "new/next" Sonic Youth.

Yes! In fact, I listened to it while driving through a blizzard just ― an hour ago. And I listened to it twice throughout the week.

It still sounds more powerful and relevant and glorious than virtually any other record I can think of. It still manages to push more serotonin ("Teen Age Riot"), dopamine ("Cross the Breeze"), and adrenaline ("Eliminator Jr") into my neruoreceptors than any pharmaceutical.

I'm more of a Sister kind of guy too. Always have been. Mostly because Sister represents a band in transition, from art-rock infused hardcore and schizo-punk to something far more seamless and unique. Sister shows a becoming the best band in the world. With Daydream, they were already there. They were in top form, and the record works like one uninterrupted epic thought. There's no growth taking place before your eyes on Daydream Nation. So even thought it's a perfect album, I have always leaned toward Sister as my "favorite."

But you're totally right. Daydream Nation is still, nearly three decades after its release, every bit as gripping, intelligent and seminal as it ever was. It also puts most music from just about any genre to shame.
As a matter of fact I have never search new Sonic Youths. I think the starter of the thread wants SY-influenced new bands, but anyway the most interesting music to me has always been music that has at least something I have never heard before. Donīt want any hate posts for this, but I havenīt ever liked Pavement just for the reason it sounds too SY to me ( Yes , itīs not SY copy, I think the ones I`ve heard are much more melodic songs than most of the sy songs, but anyway I havenīt heard anything interesting from that band). Those examples I put have something in common with SY, but I think they also have something personal in their stuff (I donīt still quite understand why some music hit to me and some not, well I think at the moment the music that is Beefheart influenced is most likely hit to me, but anyway I donīt like math rock at all).

I claim I still am at least almost as excited about some new records as I was earlier in my life. It is very rare these days, but it happens. Of course I think you just canīt have as strong emotions in the age of 40 as the age of 10 or 20, but I claim I have much stronger emotions than most of the 40 years old people. But I donīt believe I can be excited about totally new music, it has to has some elements from the music I listened in the age of 10-30.

About DDN, it really havenīt ever been the biggest SY record to me. I really love it of course, but I donīt think it is even near the greatness of Sister and EVOL. Itīs quite the same level as Goo & Dirty to me. Of course I loved it quite immediately then when I heard it (it was my second SY-album after Goo).
Old 01.18.2016, 11:34 AM   #31
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
regarding electronic music, between the original 90s Warp stalwarts (Aphex, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher), there should be quite enough music to busy yourself with. that's if you're not necessarily looking for something that sounds like sonic youth, but music or bands that make high quality music who've always been relatively 'under the radar', and who've been somewhat consistent for the last few decades.

you can't go wrong with Aphex Twin, his 00s work alone (Drukqs is peak) is totally worthwhile. you've got the Analord series (2005-06) along with the two Tuss eps (2007), which are pretty much timeless. similarly, there's Cylob, you can find most of his music on Bandcamp/iTunes. there's a certain pure-ness to Cylob's music, and he uses a lot of odd-sounding, microtonal tunings. With Aphex, you have Syro, which is 80% dope. it came out just last year, preceding a massive dump of unreleased tracks onto soundcloud, and two minor eps.

Autechre is a strange bird, some people can't stand their music post-Confield, but i believe albums like Draft, Untilted, Quaristice, and Oversteps are their best material. in this way they're similar to sonic youth, where people's opinions/'favorites' vary widely. try out ep7, or lp5.. or amber. each album is good.

Boards of Canada, they're not so active, but the music is excellent. not gonna try to 'sell' it or describe it here.. it's some special shit.

Mortte Jousimo, you mentioned Beefheart.. have you given U.S. Maple a chance?
Old 01.18.2016, 01:39 PM   #33
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
Mortte Jousimo, you mentioned Beefheart.. have you given U.S. Maple a chance?
I have listened Trumans Water & Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, loved them. I will try Maple too.
Old 01.18.2016, 05:20 PM   #34
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
you can't go wrong with Aphex Twin, his 00s work alone (Drukqs is peak) is totally worthwhile. you've got the Analord series (2005-06) along with the two Tuss eps (2007), which are pretty much timeless. similarly, there's Cylob, you can find most of his music on Bandcamp/iTunes. there's a certain pure-ness to Cylob's music, and he uses a lot of odd-sounding, microtonal tunings. With Aphex, you have Syro, which is 80% dope. it came out just last year, preceding a massive dump of unreleased tracks onto soundcloud, and two minor eps.

I like you, friend.

Quote:
Autechre is a strange bird, some people can't stand their music post-Confield, but i believe albums like Draft, Untilted, Quaristice, and Oversteps are their best material. in this way they're similar to sonic youth, where people's opinions/'favorites' vary widely. try out ep7, or lp5.. or amber. each album is good.

I don't understand the caveats people have with Autechre. They've always been one of my favorite institutions in electronic music, and I believe Exai was one of their finest records. Hearing someone refer to them as "boring" just does not register with me at all.
Old 01.18.2016, 05:25 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, in defense of Fridge, I honestly don't think it's accurate to imply that they were a commonplace group with anordinary sound. I think they're hugely underrated.

Maybe I should say Kieran Hebden instead. Anyone who's heard his work with Steve Reid knows that he's anythjng but commonplace. And like Sonic Youth, his music (depending on which moniker he's working under) combines several genres, including post-rock, electronic, dub, jazz and ambient.

Fridge is dope.
Old 01.18.2016, 05:27 PM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
combines several genres, including post-rock, electronic, dub, jazz and ambient.
You do too.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 03:04 AM   #37
The Real McCoy
little trouble girl

The Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard sucka
Quote:
I just stick with the classics.

fuck all the new stuff. listen to electronic music and hip hop. its more modern. anything guitar based these days is derivative and boring.

Hip Hop's a complete joke today. It imploded up it's butt years ago. And don't bother posting a list of lame, parody acts that absurdly try to emulate the greats of yesteryear.
The Real McCoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 11:47 AM   #38
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real McCoy
Hip Hop's a complete joke today. It imploded up it's butt years ago. And don't bother posting a list of lame, parody acts that absurdly try to emulate the greats of yesteryear.

Not gonna lie, a lot of today's rap and hip-hop music is total shit.

But that's true of every genre. It's true of just about everything, really. Most things are boring and ordinary, whether you're talking about music, film, literature, shoes, websites, automobiles or human beings.

So I guess I don't really get why you seem to think hip-hop is somehow unique in this. If conforms to the same bell curve (the very definition of "normal") as anything/everything else. Still, at any given time, those artists that make up the top 5% are absolutely Fucking killing it.

In my opinion, hip-hop has generally had a much better decade than most genres, both in germs of quality and quantity of music.
Old 01.20.2016, 03:49 PM   #39
selkcip
bad moon rising

Quote:
U.S. Maple were really good live. took me years to match the face from that band to the Captain Beefheart nerd in High Fidelity.

like, "where have I seen that guy before".

Mort, check those guys out. Long Hair in Three Stages.
i'd argue that all of their successive albums are better than Long Hair... just an opinion though.

my two favorites (acre thrills and talker) are linked (youtube) on the previous page..
Old 01.20.2016, 04:08 PM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Hip Hop is the only pop music genre that still creates new sounds and new ideas. Rock music is dead. DEAD. Something new is brewing, which will be neither hip hop nor rock, nor anything else we have ever seen.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth