Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Nico's "The Marble Index" Appreciation Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2008, 08:51 AM   #1
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to this album for the first time in ages yesterday, and had forgotten how stunning it is. Anyone else here love this album too?:

Old 07.13.2008, 09:46 AM   #2
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I know how great Chelsea Girl is, so I'm most certainly interested in hearing this. Care to give a review?
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 09:58 AM   #3
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Julian Cope on The Marble Index: http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/1655
Quality stuff.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 01:04 PM   #4
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I love love love The Marble Index, but I personally slightly prefer Desertshore from that period. "Afraid" is one of the most flooringly beautiful songs ever. The entire Frozen Borderline set is basically heaven for me.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 05:22 PM   #5
sarramkrop

There isn't and never will be anything like it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 06:14 PM   #6
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
proof meet pudding; pudding meet proof.
check my post from May last year in sarramkrop's VU thread:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ble+ index%22

I nearly listened to the album the other day, but instead opted to listen to a performance of Nico with Tangerine Dream from 12/13/74 which took place at Notre Dame Cathedral...yep.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 06:30 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i listened to this a few years ago. it scared my balls.

15175 N. Mary St.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 06:45 PM   #8
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
proof meet pudding; pudding meet proof.
check my post from May last year in sarramkrop's VU thread:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13131&page=4&highlight=%22marble+ index%22

I nearly listened to the album the other day, but instead opted to listen to a performance of Nico with Tangerine Dream from 12/13/74 which took place at Notre Dame Cathedral...yep.

Well, well, well - sehr synchronicity-like Mr atari.

Tangerine Dream AND Nico? Ye gods, never heard of that collaboration before...
Old 07.13.2008, 06:48 PM   #9
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
My thoughts exactly.....pretty wild.
Old 07.13.2008, 08:41 PM   #10
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The FM broadcast is mostly (the first five) Nico and harmonium doing some Desertshore, but the boot's epic closer features Tangerine Dream. Oh, and I failed earlier to clarify that the show was at Notre Dame in Reims, not Paris.

Lookee
http://www.bigozine2.com/archive/ARr...nicoreims.html

When I went to a friend's house the other day he was playing some great-sounding early Tangerine Dream, and thus prompted the listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO
According to the wikipedia, on December 13, 1974, Nico was the support act at Tangerine Dream's infamous concert at Reims Cathedral in north-east France. The promoter had so greatly oversold the capacity of the venue that attendees could not move or reach the outside, eventually resulting in some fans urinating inside the cathedral hall. As a result, the Roman Catholic Church denounced these actions, ordered the rededication of the cathedral and banned future gigs on church property.
(although)
Years later, under the sponsorship of filmmaker David Lynch, Jocelyn Montgomery would try and rethread the path taken earlier by Nico. But within the confines of the Reims cathedral, the sincerity in Nico's delivery cannot be fudged or mistaken for anything else.
Old 07.13.2008, 09:51 PM   #11
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
I know how great Chelsea Girl is, so I'm most certainly interested in hearing this. Care to give a review?

Chelsea Girl is a great album, but by comparison it comes off as completely pop. Marble Index is one of the most haunting things ever put to wax and the stark minimalism just makes it more powerful. I think it's Cale's very best work as a producer. What we think of today as "gothic" music, minus the cheesey side started with this record.

Pretty good explanation on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marble_Index_(album)
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 10:27 PM   #13
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
One of my top twenty-five albums ever. Absolutely chilling and oddly gorgeous at the same time (especially during Ari's Song.) I could almost get a heart attack during Evening of Light. Can't believe this one was released in '68!

Also, everyone should get The Frozen Borderline compilation that came out last year if you don't have it. It has The Marble Index and Desertshore plus a few unreleased tracks and lotsa alternate takes. Real quality shtuff.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 10:34 PM   #14
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Chelsea Girl is a great album, but by comparison it comes off as completely pop. Marble Index is one of the most haunting things ever put to wax and the stark minimalism just makes it more powerful. I think it's Cale's very best work as a producer. What we think of today as "gothic" music, minus the cheesey side started with this record.

Pretty good explanation on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marble_Index_(album)

I thank everyone for putting in their insight into this album. I'm most certainly gonna try finding it & giving it a listen.
-George Carlin
Old 07.14.2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm with all of the pant-wetting. I quite often come back to the Marble Index when I start thinking that there's not much point to 'experimental' music. Gorgeous, and one of the rare rock albums that does things that other rock doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 02:18 PM   #16
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks will look for it.
Old 07.14.2008, 02:20 PM   #17
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

This was the first thing I listened to today, & was blown away. Everything is beautifully arranged, & haunting at times. "Facing The Wind" stood out the most for me.
-George Carlin
Old 07.15.2008, 07:54 PM   #18
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I went to a newish local record, dvd and cd store today and in the used cds is a copy of The Marble Index...no foolin'. It was eight bucks, but seeing as I downloaded mine lossless last year, I didn't buy it. I even had my copy with me today for listening on the laptop.
Old 07.24.2008, 07:35 PM   #19
Society_In_My_Hole
little trouble girl

Society_In_My_Hole is a jewel in the roughSociety_In_My_Hole is a jewel in the roughSociety_In_My_Hole is a jewel in the roughSociety_In_My_Hole is a jewel in the rough
I love this album, wish I had it with me right now... I have Chealse Girls but Marble Index is just pure AMAZING!
Society_In_My_Hole is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2008, 08:18 AM   #20
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Only listened to it once, I should give it another go.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth