Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Music snobs: songs/albums that are popular but nonetheless not bad
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2007, 02:16 PM   #21
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSam
Hope that's sarcasm ^^
I'm going for the beastie boys.

I Hope Its Not
Old 07.19.2007, 02:28 PM   #22
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Neil Young, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Who...
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 09:45 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
oh I forgot: weezer.

i can get into pretty much any pop punk band that isn't MEST.. i also love surf music, dick dale and such, ventures, which are VERY popular... uhhh.. soundtrack work by danny elfman and howard shore and other popular musicians heard by MILLIONS.. i like that.. i also dig gwen stefani's solo stuff...

I dunno. if you dislike something, if you don't give something a chance just because a few people tend to like it, you're a fucking idiot. that last justin timberlake album was great! it had GLITCH BEATS on it and robot vocals! inspiring. it had moments of robotic glitch future-pop. truely nuts. lots of good madonna stuff too. i loved britney spears's "Toxic". i loved the last nine inch nails album. stuff like aphex twin is also popular.. come to think of it, i dig tons of popular things.

...yeah. i think more radical and amazing things come out of the underground, obviously shit like polvo, thinking fellers union local # 282, renaldo and the loaf, etc. aren't on the radio.... but when bands like wolf eyes get offered spots on lollapalooza, boredoms are comissioned to play with 77 drummers in new york, rhys chatham and glenn branca are both on tv playing with huge symphonies.. is there really even an "underground" any more? every noise musician you like is a click away on soulseek or information on wikipedia, so yeah.. pretty much everything you can think of is known by many many people.. there are still tons of little bands around, but yeah.. i don't think it's stretching it too much to say that it's impossible in this age to be a music snob.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 09:47 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ps: get crazy with the Cheez Whiz

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 12:37 PM   #25
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...yeah. i think more radical and amazing things come out of the underground, obviously shit like polvo, thinking fellers union local # 282, renaldo and the loaf, etc. aren't on the radio.... but when bands like wolf eyes get offered spots on lollapalooza, boredoms are comissioned to play with 77 drummers in new york, rhys chatham and glenn branca are both on tv playing with huge symphonies.. is there really even an "underground" any more? every noise musician you like is a click away on soulseek or information on wikipedia, so yeah.. pretty much everything you can think of is known by many many people.. there are still tons of little bands around, but yeah.. i don't think it's stretching it too much to say that it's impossible in this age to be a music snob.

well put

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 12:48 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Girls Aloud
Sugababes
S Club 7
Atomic Kitten

Zing to the above. Although I'm not sure Atomic Kitten did more than one good thing.

What about the RnB stuff, your Missy Elliots, Jay-Zs, Rihanna, Mis-teeqs (God I love that band), Usher (handful of singles), Shaggy (silly but fun), R Kelly (Ignition is a dancefloor filler, don't care what you say) or that sort of thing?

Some of you may have noted that I'm quite a fan of Avril Lavigne and MCR, both of which are incredibly good at the whole pop thing.

Abba gold remains one of the few albums I've ever heard that everyone should own.

And, having only heard the actual albums lately, Alisha's [sp?] Attic did nothing but great albums.

And I like Cradle of Filth.

And other things probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 12:51 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
One of those other things that I'm an absolute idiot for forgetting is The Carpenters who are amazingly brilliant.

And Edith Piaf, she's mahoosive.

And Herb Alpert.

And the continued existence of Happy Hardcore.

Contrary to atsonicpark's things, I haven't heard anything I thought was amazing from the (so-called) 'underground' for ages now, but I keep hearing things that are incredibly/ moderately popular that make my face explode in excellentness.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.31.2007, 01:08 PM   #28
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Despite some of the negative opinions of many on this board, I do like me some Mars Volta. It's rare to find a band that puts latin sound to the whole rock thing (at least for me) and TMV do it well. Concertina is beautifully haunting and indignant. Eunuch Provocateur, Drunkship Of Lanterns are both amazing tunes.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 03:28 PM   #29
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
U2 up to and including Achtung Baby
Led Zeppelin
Edith Piaf indeed
Serge Gainsbourg
Early Pink Floyd
Early Metallica
Björk
The Smiths
Nina Simone
Radiohead
The list could go on for very long (including many bands revered on this board).
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 05:30 PM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
U2 up to and including Achtung Baby
Edith Piaf indeed

I was going to write in French and then realised my French is appaling (ma Francais c'est trés mal). Any recommendations on the French chanson front? I only really know Jacques Brél and Edith P and another chap I heard the other day whose name escapes me. Oh, and Serge, but I'm not too fussed about him.

Quote:
Old 08.01.2007, 03:06 AM   #31
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I was going to write in French and then realised my French is appaling (ma Francais c'est trés mal). Any recommendations on the French chanson front? I only really know Jacques Brél and Edith P and another chap I heard the other day whose name escapes me. Oh, and Serge, but I'm not too fussed about him.

Françoise Hardy
Jacques Dutronc (her husband)
Léo Ferré
Barbara
Serge Reggiani
Michel Polnareff
Dominique A
Jean-Louis Murat
Silvain Vanot
Alain Bashung (especially Fantaisie militaire)
Old 08.01.2007, 03:26 AM   #32
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
How about Francois Breut?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2007, 04:08 AM   #33
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
This is stupid, Sonic Youth is popular. The Velvet Underground is popular. Cat Power is popular. etc. If you mean mainstream success, then there are a lot.

When I see thread slike these I think of bands that are mainstream, but which 13 year old girls to 45 year old mainstream radio rock listeners listen to. Sonic Youth and the Velvet Underground etc are not those types of bands.
Old 08.01.2007, 04:20 AM   #34
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
This is stupid, Sonic Youth is popular. The Velvet Underground is popular. Cat Power is popular. etc. If you mean mainstream success, then there are a lot.
When I see thread slike these I think of bands that are mainstream, but which 13 year old girls to 45 year old mainstream radio rock listeners listen to. Sonic Youth and the Velvet Underground etc are not those types of bands.

I don't know that many people that know Sonic Youth actually.
Old 08.01.2007, 04:33 AM   #35
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I never get you indie kids. I like whatever rocks my boat, not what is trendy or is obscure. Some of it is, some of it isn't. Who cares enjoy music you BASTARDS!!!

here here
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2008, 01:51 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Françoise Hardy
Jacques Dutronc (her husband)
Léo Ferré
Barbara
Serge Reggiani
Michel Polnareff
Dominique A
Jean-Louis Murat
Silvain Vanot
Alain Bashung (especially Fantaisie militaire)

Resurrecting the thread for a 'thanks' - people should check out this list. All about the chanson, innit?

Quote:
Old 03.16.2008, 01:58 PM   #37
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
As the music industry grows older, the amount of good popular music goes down. When was the last time a band as good as the Beatles played in front of stadiums of screaming fans and were everywhere you looked?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2008, 02:19 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
As the music industry grows older, the amount of good popular music goes down. When was the last time a band as good as the Beatles played in front of stadiums of screaming fans and were everywhere you looked?

If I liked the Beatles I'd point to Radiohead.

I've probably said it before, but in my meagre experience I've noticed that history tends to erase the details of popular consciousness. I've met kids younger than me who are totally in awe of the mid- to late-90s when I grew up. Because of Blur and Pulp and the like. History tends to forget the Sleepers and Rialtos and Republicas of this world, and I am convinced the same must have been true in the 60s (or whatever decade).

Quote:
Old 03.16.2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i find these kind of threads tedious but people seem to love them
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2008, 02:22 PM   #40
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I've met kids younger than me who are totally in awe of the mid- to late-90s when I grew up. Because of Blur and Pulp and the like.

i don't know whether to laugh or despair
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth