Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2015, 12:00 PM   #38561
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
gmku's pet peeve of the week: uptalk.

Yep. I'm particularly annoyed when I hear it from professional broadcasters. Happens on NPR all the time, which I find unacceptable.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2015, 01:02 PM   #38562
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
i feel like not going out of the house, until i get it right. abstracts.
no worries- i will get out of the house.
also called and well, day job is going ahead. dunno when, but probably no sooner than in a month.
so i m feeling like going on a consuming spree - art material and/maybe books.
and cross fingers, they ll gimmie house as last year to go into that sea place. alone. i dont want anyone to visit me. well...for no more than 2 days in a row.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2015, 02:17 PM   #38563
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
My father passed away in March, after a short battle with cancer. I've been thinking about the grieving process, wondering how I fit into it, because, in short, I don't feel much grief.
Old 05.06.2015, 02:38 PM   #38564
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think there are any rules about this stuff.

But the fact that you'd even ask is curious. So, you feel guilty you don't feel bad? Do you WISH you felt worse?

Anyway, you'll carry this around forever, and two months is not a long time, so you never know how this'll play out. I just recently started missing my father who died 10 years ago, which was an unexpected change in my previously lukewarm feelings. So as far as I can tell, not caring now doesn't always mean not caring forever.
Old 05.06.2015, 02:57 PM   #38565
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Good points, evollove. I know it's fresh, early. I see my siblings mourning, feeling sad and nostalgic. I feel nothing like that. One sister keeps asking me about stuff I might want from my father's house, mainly things like old letters I'd written to him, Christmas cards he kept from me, that kind of thing. Maybe it's because I am basically not very sentimental myself, but the stuff means nothing to me.

So maybe I ask because I feel weird that I'm not reacting like them. Sure, a little guilty about it. A little guilty about feeling annoyed to find that they don't see the faults in him that I saw--his pettiness and stinginess, narrow-mindedness. I want to tell my siblings that more than anything, in some ways, my father showed me how NOT to live. He showed me the fallacy of living your life in the past, of being stingy, of being rude to waiters and waitresses and people who served him, including nurses and doctors.
Old 05.06.2015, 03:00 PM   #38566
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My father passed away in March, after a short battle with cancer. I've been thinking about the grieving process, wondering how I fit into it, because, in short, I don't feel much grief.

everyone is different. Grieve or do not grieve, at your whim. I lost my father at 17 after 3 years of illness, and two near deaths, and when he finally passed it was more of a weight off my chest and a knowledge that he was not suffering anymore....

Some people do not grieve for years.

Others grieve for years.
Old 05.06.2015, 03:01 PM   #38567
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what i wanna know is if the dog was as stoned as rob!

that rental car was HOT-BOXIN'/Clam-Bakin'! I am sure he was.
Old 05.06.2015, 03:07 PM   #38568
gmku
invito al cielo

Yep. True. I think also I was prepared. I knew he was dying, I visited him frequently during his illness, and I had visited him frequently over the past few years before his death. He was becoming frailer and frailer with each visit, even before he was sick, and he was quite old, so in a way, I think I was just more prepared than my siblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
everyone is different. Grieve or do not grieve, at your whim. I lost my father at 17 after 3 years of illness, and two near deaths, and when he finally passed it was more of a weight off my chest and a knowledge that he was not suffering anymore....

Some people do not grieve for years.

Others grieve for years.
Old 05.06.2015, 03:07 PM   #38569
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
He showed me the fallacy of living your life in the past, of being stingy, of being rude to waiters and waitresses and people who served him, including nurses and doctors.

I'm going on very little here, but it very possible that after a few years, you'll feel a lot of pity for the guy. Not the same as mourning, but it's something.
Old 05.06.2015, 03:09 PM   #38570
gmku
invito al cielo

True. And I think I feel some of this already. I am angry at how he chose to live, but I also feel some pity for him, or regret, perhaps, that he could not see a way to live differently. He was SO stubborn. Incredibly stubborn. Even the hospice people told me they had never seen a man so stubborn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I'm going on very little here, but it very possible that after a few years, you'll feel a lot of pity for the guy. Not the same as mourning, but it's something.
Old 05.06.2015, 03:33 PM   #38571
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Grief is bizarre how it makes random appearances and affects you in different ways at different times.. but it can be very real. Like love, it is one of the mysteries of the human experiencethat is not easily explained away by neurochemistry or psychology.. its spiritual. Also even animals grieve.. elephants continue to visit the bones of dead family and spend time lingering there. They have even been seen crying.. literally!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2015, 10:41 PM   #38572
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
gmku- that's an interesting way at looking at grief, actually, talking about his personality... maybe that's just how it manifests in you, wishing he had an ability to change some in life. nothing wrong at all.
Old 05.06.2015, 10:43 PM   #38573
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
uptalk drives me up the wall. so many sorority chicks around here, every damn sentence. and when i have to take their order. "i'll have the... something?" and i can't tell if they really want it or not. it's funny if you're using it in a humorous/ironic way... i guess. some vocal tics/trends i'm a bit more forgiving of than others based on my own speech issues but uptalk, man.
Old 05.07.2015, 09:00 AM   #38574
gmku
invito al cielo

I can somewhat tolerate it out in the mundane world of shopping and casual conversation. Somewhat. At least it fits the inanity of the culture and so on. However, at work!? In serious business conversation!? Absolutely nuts that I hear it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
uptalk drives me up the wall. so many sorority chicks around here, every damn sentence. and when i have to take their order. "i'll have the... something?" and i can't tell if they really want it or not. it's funny if you're using it in a humorous/ironic way... i guess. some vocal tics/trends i'm a bit more forgiving of than others based on my own speech issues but uptalk, man.
Old 05.07.2015, 09:01 AM   #38575
gmku
invito al cielo

Thank you. I see that way, too, I guess. Maybe my grieving process, at least partly, is reviewing how he lived, how he interacted with me and others, and what I can learn, either good or bad, from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
gmku- that's an interesting way at looking at grief, actually, talking about his personality... maybe that's just how it manifests in you, wishing he had an ability to change some in life. nothing wrong at all.
Old 05.07.2015, 09:17 AM   #38576
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i think you guys are making too much of this? because it's not that annoying? i mean is it really annoying? maybe? you tell me? i mean the way people talk always changes? am i right? no? yes? i mean when you watch a movie from the 40s? do they talk like we do? i think they speak differently?

ha ha ha ha
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2015, 09:19 AM   #38577
gmku
invito al cielo

I like how things used to be. Don't make me change, dammit. It makes me grumpy.

Uh oh. That sounds a helluvalot like my dad!
Old 05.07.2015, 09:22 AM   #38578
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
wow, i just read your dad posts. dang.

you can't force feeling.

wait, let me do it in the contemporary version of the 80s valley girl.

you can't force feeling? it is what it is??
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2015, 09:25 AM   #38579
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
like yuknoooow whatever?
Old 05.07.2015, 09:29 AM   #38580
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
so grody
1429182918791919192619271928 1929 193019311932193919792029 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth