Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.26.2014, 08:41 PM   #1441
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Public Enemy
Yo! Bum Rush The Show
1987, Def Jam
Picture it: Def Jam Recordings, 1987. The label is riding high on several fun party jam singles released from the Beastie Boys' debut the previous year. LL Cool J has just released his Bigger And Deffer album which spawns the huge hit single ballad "I Need Love." Though Simmons and Rubin had released Slayer's Reign In Blood, on the hip hop front nothing could have really prepared listeners for what was about to drop on Yo! Bum Rush The Show. While Cool James certainly had lyrical chops exhibited on tracks like "I'm Bad," Chuck D was basically the anti-LL. Forget the sensitivity of "I Need Love." Chuck wanted to tell you about a so-called "Sophisticated Bitch." And while Flava Flav may have been the group's theatrical hype man, he was miles away from the frat-boy silliness of the Beasties. There's no time to party when you're concerned with having "Too Much Posse." Public Enemy's debut isn't perfect. But it is a fully formed mission statement. This was a group with a defined personality. Nothing sounded like PE before PE, and this goes for their debut single, appropriately titled "Public Enemy #1" with its long droning notes. Chuck D and secret weapon Hank Shocklee developed the Bomb Squad sound on this record, kicking things off with "You're Gonna Get Yours" featuring skittering layers of sounds and Terminator X scratching cars skidding out. As if the crunchy guitars of "Sophisticated Bitch" weren't heavy enough, PE got Vernon Reid to come in and do a face-scorching solo. While the record has its moments of minimalism, it is largely influenced more by musique concrete than the old two turntables and a mic. While it's not the masterpiece that the string of follow-ups would be, Yo! Bum Rush The Show is required listening for those interested in just how game-changing a debut album can be.

Cypress Hill
Cypress Hill
1991, Ruffhouse
Cypress Hill's self-titled debut was a surprise hit thanks to the inclusion of "How I Could Just Kill A Man" in the movie Juice. And for good reason. Cypress Hill is an exceptionally confident record. In fairness the group had spent nearly three years working on it, so perhaps it shouldn't be shocking that they had enough time to really perfect their sound. But that's the point. Like 'em or not, they sounded very different from anything else in 1991. Off the bat absolutely nobody sounded like B-Real's nasally assault on your eardrums. But somehow it worked when weighted by Sen Dog's booming low end. But the real star of this album is DJ Muggs. He created a well defined niche that when you hear it can only be described as Cypress Hill's own. The funky bass grooves, the obnoxious horns. Opener "Pigs" is a brilliant nursery rhyme style take on the classic "Fuck The Police" track, but things don't stay so light-hearted. Dig the tracklist as it progresses from there: "How I Could Just Kill A Man," "Hand On The Pump," Hole In The Head." It's violent stuff. The record isn't perhaps as flawless as early adopters make it out to be. Sen Dog is severely under-used for instance. Mugg's interludes here fit the mood, but don't add much to the sequencing. And there is a tendency to be a little monotonous with the upbeat drum breaks during some patches. Yet much of that is outweighed by the good merits. Mugg's fantastic samples are a high point, be it "Duke Of Earl" or the same track that A Tribe Called Quest sampled on "Vibes And Stuff." And there's also those moments when the group slow themselves down enough to actually feel as stoney as they often talk. "Stones Is The Way Of The Walk" and "Latin Lingo" are two high points with lower than average BPM's for this record. Somehow taking it slow seems to actually accentuate the hyper-intensity of some of these tracks. Plus, I always love when rappers are sure enough of themselves to release albums without relying on guest-shots, so props there. While I don't fully feel that this is the classic that it's often referred to as, I do think it's an impressive debut of one of the more unique groups to ever gain a sustained level of attention in the mainstream.

Three 6 Mafia
Da Unbreakables
2003, Hypnotize Minds
The sixth (or seventh, or like 20th depending on how you count them) Three 6 Mafia album is one of those albums of theirs that completely defines the sound of their post-horrorcore work. In a way it's almost a stereotypical Three 6 album with it's creepy club bangers and the hopping from sex, drugs and violence themed tracks. There are only a handful of songs here that I'd call absolutely great. "Bin Laden" is a definite stand-out for instance with its gloomy beat and the sound of crickets (seriously, crickets) on the chorus that just add to the scary nocturnal atmosphere. While a bulk of the album has a bit of a same-ness to it all, that's not necessarily a bad thing. For one thing there's not a single track I'd say was bad. Basically everything here is damn good. Those few great songs however do much to make the really good stuff feel lesser. But all in all it's a solid record that would serve as a fantastic soundtrack to a night of debauchery. And while the 19 tracks may feel a bit long, remember that this is the sort of album meant to be thrown on in the background at a party and allowed to simmer for a long while.
Old 11.26.2014, 10:31 PM   #1442
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
well one could say he did back in the Graduation days where he defeated 50 Cent, but that was a fucking great album to "sell out" with.

I think the 50 thing was mostly media nob-gobbling. I don't know though. I thought that album was a response to a challenge made by Bono when Kanye was opening for U2 around the Late Reg. Period. Bono didn't think rap had achieved "stadium status" and wanted to hear a hip hop album that had the bombast and epic pop quality of a big rock record.

Kanye certainly delivered, and beat Curtis's ass to boot. And if that was his sell-out album, it was oddly placed... Everything that followed has been the antithesis of commercial hip-hop.

And yeah, Graduation slays.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2014, 07:57 PM   #1443
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I straight love Graduation.
Old 11.28.2014, 10:16 AM   #1444
noisereductions
invito al cielo

watched this:

Old 11.28.2014, 01:04 PM   #1445
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/shady-xv-eminem-in-2014/ a great read about how much.this guy sucks.even by rap standards

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2014, 01:46 PM   #1446
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/shady-xv-eminem-in-2014/ a great read about how much.this guy sucks.even by rap standards

Eh. He's not rapping about anything worse than Eazy-E ever did. Personally he doesn't do much for me, well I dug most of the Marshall Mathers LP and that's pretty much it. However, it can't be denied the guy can rap.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2014, 01:51 PM   #1447
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
She has a point though, eazy e never had the chance to grow up. Also let me be the one to deny it, guy cant rap for shit.. he is the larry bird of rap and like isiah thomas im gonna call him out, "if he was black he'd be just another good guy"

Old 11.28.2014, 02:31 PM   #1448
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
She has a point though, eazy e never had the chance to grow up. Also let me be the one to deny it, guy cant rap for shit.. he is the larry bird of rap and like isiah thomas im gonna call him out, "if he was black he'd be just another good guy"

Nah. I've said this before and I'll say it again: that bit on No Love is as good as pretty much anyone out there.

Old 11.28.2014, 03:06 PM   #1449
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Meh.. I just never liked the tone of his voice let alone his cadence and delivery not to mention the absolute lack of content bearing any kind of meaning. Than again, perhaps parody rap was never intended to have substance

Old 11.28.2014, 03:17 PM   #1450
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Meh.. I just never liked the tone of his voice let alone his cadence and delivery not to mention the absolute lack of content bearing any kind of meaning. Than again, perhaps parody rap was never intended to have substance

Again like Eazy E? And besides, Eminem has done parody and serious more than enough to make the idea that he's 'parody rap' moot.

Old 11.28.2014, 03:42 PM   #1451
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
just watched Wu-Tang's performance on Letterman, so cringey. think i'm gonna avoid their new album.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2014, 03:43 PM   #1452
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Again like Eazy E? And besides, Eminem has done parody and serious more than enough to make the idea that he's 'parody rap' moot.
Em himself already admitted he has nothing to talk about anymore on his recent single, "Guts Over Fear":

And the window is closing
And there's nowhere else that I can go with flows
And I'm frozen, cause there's no more emotion for me to pull from
Just a bunch of playful songs, that I make for fun
So, to the break of dawn, here I go recycling the same old song
Old 11.28.2014, 03:59 PM   #1453
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Actually eazy e snuck in potent social commentary on issues like racism, poverty, and police brutality. That is why Eazy E was invited to have lunch with George Bush I at the White House.. what the fuck did Eminem ever do aside from act like an ass?

Old 11.28.2014, 04:38 PM   #1454
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Actually eazy e snuck in potent social commentary on issues like racism, poverty, and police brutality. That is why Eazy E was invited to have lunch with George Bush I at the White House.. what the fuck did Eminem ever do aside from act like an ass?

No it wasn't. It was because he donated money to the party (anti-censorship money thing) and the republican party invited Eric Wright (not Eazy) not cos he was a rapper, but rather a party donator. The whole thing was an accident and even Eazy acknowledged that.

Sure N.W.A talked about that social issues, but the Eazy Duz It album? Nah. None of the stuff Eminem has ever said had been worse than what Eazy said.

I've already said I'm not Eminem's biggest fan but I'm not blind to the fact that he can have his serious moments, whether it be White America or Stan.

Old 11.28.2014, 04:49 PM   #1455
louder
invito al cielo

didn't Ice Cube and MC Ren write all of Eazy's lyrics?
Old 11.28.2014, 04:52 PM   #1456
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've already said I'm not Eminem's biggest fan but I'm not blind to the fact that he can have his serious moments, whether it be White America or Stan.
Sing for the Moment is powerful.
Old 11.28.2014, 05:01 PM   #1457
noisereductions
invito al cielo

and "Toy Soldiers."
Old 11.28.2014, 05:13 PM   #1458
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Meh to this thread.. enjoy the crap rap bitchez

Old 11.28.2014, 05:32 PM   #1459
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
just watched Wu-Tang's performance on Letterman, so cringey. think i'm gonna avoid their new album.
watched it again, so i must add - the hook (especially the choreography) and Cappadonna's verse were awful, everything else was still pretty good though.
Old 11.28.2014, 05:35 PM   #1460
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
and "Toy Soldiers."
agreed, one of his few mature songs. it blows my mind how he was able to predict Proof's death.

by the way, last time i gave MMLP a spin i wasn't feeling it at all and had to turn it off four songs in. Relapse is my fav Em album.
63707172 73 747576 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth