Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pick ONE record that most influenced/changed your life..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.21.2015, 07:50 PM   #81
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
It was a process of GeeZer working together with Ozzy. It wasn't like Geezer showed up with a notebook full of songs like John Lennon. Indeed Ozzy contributed more than say Jerry Garcia worked with Bob Hunter

To be fair though- Lennon was one of THREE motherfuckers who came to sessions with his own songs, and one of two in the band who ended up splitting 99% of the credit. He also wrote with Paul and George a great deal. So no, Geezer wasn't like Lennon, but Sabbath wasn't the Beatles.

And nobody thinks of Jerry Garcia was the Dead's chief lyricist.

I don't know much about Sabbath lyrics, but those are weird comparison points.

Anyway, I hope Ozzy wrote "Snowblind" because that's how I have always imagined it. That song, in particular... a little window into Ozzy's ... ahem... crazy brain.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2015, 08:07 PM   #82
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Jerry didn't write ANY of his lyrics.. he merely would tweak some things to better sing Hunter's work.. yet we also can't say Jerry didn't do anything to them because Hunter never had a working melody or delivery, Jerry would turn the poetry into song. Ozzy obviously did similar but he also would work with Geezer (at least on the first four records) on phrasing, content, or themes. Again it was a process.. Geezer later actually resented when Ozzy stopped doing that and left it for him to do solo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2015, 11:09 PM   #83
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
don't know. can say I've finally just wore out both bands. I've heard Zep and Sabbath so many times. they effect me here and there like Hendrix and The Beatles but, it's nothing i go for in my spare time. still love all those bands dearly. they're just apart of my growing up. now im grown and worried that they may never effect me like they once did but, they do just in small amounts. too much can be an overload. my concerns aren't innocent anymore.

i can still put on Dylan anytime anyplace though.
I don´t also listen nowdays much that I have listen a lot when I was young. Just because I still love them and I don´t want to get bored them. Never listened Dylan much and I don´t think I am going to listen him much, I think Basement Tapes will be the one I will listen the most (one great reason is the Band in it). I need to be in the Dylan mood when listening him and it doesn´t happend often.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2015, 11:22 PM   #84
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Jerry didn't write ANY of his lyrics.. he merely would tweak some things to better sing Hunter's work.. yet we also can't say Jerry didn't do anything to them because Hunter never had a working melody or delivery, Jerry would turn the poetry into song. Ozzy obviously did similar but he also would work with Geezer (at least on the first four records) on phrasing, content, or themes. Again it was a process.. Geezer later actually resented when Ozzy stopped doing that and left it for him to do solo
From that Paranoid document you got the picture Ozzy wasn´t then very capable at all in lyrics...of course there had to be working together with phrasing, I think Ozzy just couldn´t straight sing everything Geezer wrote...but of course I wasn´t there seeing what they were doing. The idea of Fairies wear boots came to Ozzy. If I remember right, it was one of Ozzy´s nightmares.
Old 09.21.2015, 11:27 PM   #85
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
John Bonham was the only reason i started to listen to LZ. he's up there with James Brown. you hear his drumming everywhere at least in the 20th century. you hear his footwork in Outkast songs.
I think Bonham was quite clumsy drummer. I think somebody has said about his playing it´s like a bear chasing the bees. But anyway I like it.
Old 09.22.2015, 06:43 PM   #86
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I don't listen to any Dylan but i never heard a Dylan cover i didn't like.dude just can't even sing his own songs

Old 09.22.2015, 06:52 PM   #87
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think Bonham was quite clumsy drummer. I think somebody has said about his playing it´s like a bear chasing the bees. But anyway I like it.
Not half as clumsy as Mitch Mitchell. Dude.. his drum solos cause cancer

Old 09.22.2015, 07:22 PM   #88
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
im in a good mood so I think ill let this pass.
pass my ass.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2015, 07:28 PM   #89
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I hope I'm not keeping you here from taking the kids to school. LOSER
Old 09.22.2015, 07:32 PM   #90
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
im in a good mood so I think ill let this pass.
Its true though..

Old 09.22.2015, 07:33 PM   #91
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Don't drive while you have kids, you fucking SEBADOH

Don't lose you're temper BOB DYLAN, that's you're fucking son
Old 09.22.2015, 07:36 PM   #92
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Your daughter came back to tell you she's fucking a massive NIRVANA!!!
Old 09.22.2015, 08:00 PM   #93
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Your daughter came back to tell you she's fucking a massive NIRVANA!!!
Could be worse, Frances Bean says she doesn't necessarily like nirvana

Old 09.22.2015, 11:12 PM   #94
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
blah blah, Genteel's just being a naughty boy.

feels good don't it?
He´s just sick & boring.
Old 09.22.2015, 11:17 PM   #95
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I don't listen to any Dylan but i never heard a Dylan cover i didn't like.dude just can't even sing his own songs
I think here´s Dylan cover you hate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Y7MnZ1S6Q
Old 09.22.2015, 11:29 PM   #96
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Not half as clumsy as Mitch Mitchell. Dude.. his drum solos cause cancer
Disagree totally. Maybe Mitch Mitchell is not also like Bill Bruford like most of the world´s drummers, but he really is much better than Bonzo. Here´s one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiO8giKD1-s

Really like also Mitchel´s solo in the begin of In From the Storm in Isle of Wight. Mitchel´s playing is quite clumsy in woodstock (too much drugs? on the other hand he play really great in the Miami Pop festival although the whole group had taken PCP).

One thing that is also better is that Mitchell´s solos are not long as hunger year like Bonzo´s (Moby Dick last in song remains almost 13 minutes).
Old 09.22.2015, 11:52 PM   #97
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

This is also quite horrible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBpE_trgrGk

Well, maybe not the soundtrack, but when you see singer Hector trying to be soooo Dylan...guitarist Hasse Walli really had learned his Hendrix...he´s the one who saw Hendrix in Finland in 1966 or 67, started his own band Blues Section after that gig and they made first important rock album in Finland.
Old 09.22.2015, 11:59 PM   #98
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
He´s just sick & boring.

Haha!

Very well put.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2015, 12:05 AM   #99
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Disagree totally. Maybe Mitch Mitchell is not also like Bill Bruford like most of the world´s drummers, but he really is much better than Bonzo. Here´s one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiO8giKD1-s

Really like also Mitchel´s solo in the begin of In From the Storm in Isle of Wight. Mitchel´s playing is quite clumsy in woodstock (too much drugs? on the other hand he play really great in the Miami Pop festival although the whole group had taken PCP).

One thing that is also better is that Mitchell´s solos are not long as hunger year like Bonzo´s (Moby Dick last in song remains almost 13 minutes).
Dude that Isle of Wight solo is exhibit A of shit drum solos..

I mean listen, i love Mitch, and i think he was one of few drummers who could really jam with Jimi. Indeed Buddy Miles didn't work out because he wasn't flexible enough. Indeed Jimi needed drummers who "follow" the guitar player instead of the more traditional other way assaround. Buddy couldn't "follow" Jimi and so they clashed. I think Bill Ward is perfect for Tony Iommi for the same reasons but Bill is much superior drummer to Mitch

Old 09.23.2015, 12:46 AM   #100
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Dude that Isle of Wight solo is exhibit A of shit drum solos..

I mean listen, i love Mitch, and i think he was one of few drummers who could really jam with Jimi. Indeed Buddy Miles didn't work out because he wasn't flexible enough. Indeed Jimi needed drummers who "follow" the guitar player instead of the more traditional other way assaround. Buddy couldn't "follow" Jimi and so they clashed. I think Bill Ward is perfect for Tony Iommi for the same reasons but Bill is much superior drummer to Mitch
No. Bill like Bonzo is clumsy bear. But they both do their job in their bands just great and I really enjoy it.

This text is from Mitchell Wikipedia sites:

Mitchell auditioned for Hendrix's band in October 1966, edging out drummer Aynsley Dunbar on the flip of a coin. His contribution to Hendrix's music is widely and deeply appreciated. In the studio, Hendrix would often record alone with Mitchell. On stage, the two fed off each other to exciting effect. Mitchell's ability to provide an inspiring rhythmic platform for the pre-eminent guitar groundbreaker of his day, stands alongside Ringo Starr's accomplishment of providing a vital, creative, but ultimately supportive role with the Beatles. Highly praised examples of his collaboration with Hendrix include the songs "Manic Depression", "Stepping Stone", "Little Miss Strange", "Fire", "Third Stone from the Sun", and Hendrix's signature "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

Mitchell came from a jazz background, and like many of his contemporaries in the London scene, was influenced by Elvin Jones, Max Roach, and Joe Morello.[9] He played in Hendrix's Experience trio from October 1966 to mid-1969, in the Woodstock band, (August 1969), and in the 1970 "Experience" version with Billy Cox on bass, known posthumously as the "Cry of Love band".

I think Mitch did quite Jazzy thing. Bill & Bonzo never did jazz and I don´t think they´re even capable doing it. Also, you remember that Bill can´t do anymore the things he did in the seventies (I think that was the main reason why he didn´t play in 13). Of course it´s from his age (also drugusing) but I think Bruford still does great work even they´re in the same age.

Of course you can like Bill more than Mitch, I prefer Mitch although really like also Bill. But it´s nothing to do the skills.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth