Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yeah so I saw Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band live the other night + new LP to come '09
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2009, 07:36 PM   #1
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Sunday night saw Yoko Ono resurect the Plastic Ono Band for the first time in what... 30/40 years and perform the first ever UK gig under that name. At London's Royal Festival Hall she played a variety of material, new stuff and stuff from as far back as the first Plastic Ono Band record in 1970. She was joined on stage by Sean Lennon, Ornette Coleman (original member of Plastic Ono Band) Cornelius, Antony (minus the Johnsons) and Mark Ronson. It was a brilliant night actually, and has to be one of the best gig I've ever seen. There was alot of Yoko-love going down in that room from a country thats often seen her as scapegoat for most misfortunes John Lennon or Beatles related.

She is too release a new record under the name Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band, the first since Feeling The Space in 1973.

Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band: Between My Head And The Sky
Waiting For The D Train(2:46)The Sun Is Down! (Cornelius Mix)(4:49)Ask The Elephant!(2:57)Memory of Footsteps(3:30)Moving Mountains(3:00)CALLING(8:15)Healing(4:25)Hashire, Hashire(3:35)BETWEEN MY HEAD AND THE SKY(5:33)Feel The Sand(6:02)Watching The Rain(5:30)Unun. To(3:16)I’m Going Away Smiling(2:53)Higa Noboru(5:44)I’m Alive(0:22)

New studio album will be released on September 21, 2009 on Sean Lennon’s label, Chimera Music.

From Fluxus and performance-art pioneer and Two Virgins to chart-topping dance-music heroine (inspiring punk rock along the way!), Yoko Ono has been an innovative and influential force on music and art, while simultaneously campaigning for peace on the world’s stage. At 76 years young, Yoko continues to kick ass — and is preparing to release Don’t Stop Me!, a career-defining album made with her new Plastic Ono Band. The record is a gorgeous, mind-melting blend of styles, restating and sharpening themes while plunging into the always-mysterious future.
The sessions happened at NYC’s Sear Sound, the same studio that used to house the old Hit Factory, where Double Fantasy was recorded. Sean Lennon produced the sessions with Yoko and acted as musical leader for a group evenly divided between Japanese avant pop musicians, and downtown Manhattan improvisers. In the former category was Yuka Honda of Cibo Matto, and the current group led by Keigo “Cornelius” Oyamada – Yuko Araki and Hirotaka Shimmy Shimizu. Ms. Ono had been so happy with a performance they’d done together in Tokyo in January, she invited them to New York to record. In the latter category we find Shahzad Ismaily, Erik Friedlander, Michael Leonhart, Daniel Carter and Indigo Street, a group of brilliant instrumentalists.
As Sean says, “Yoko unleashed a deluge of new songs, writing about 16 songs in 6 days, the most prolific day peaking out at 6 songs written and tracked in an afternoon. The recording session was like a tornado of inspiration. Some of the best lyrics on the record Yoko actually ‘freestyled’ as if she were a lyrical divining rod.”
The results are pretty amazing…

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 07:44 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. that's something I wouldn't have minded seeing. Did she do anything from the earlier albums? I'll definitely be picking up the new one.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 07:50 PM   #3
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, Open Your Box, Why, Touch Me (I think), we even had a 6/7 minute rendition of Fly! With Sean Lennon getting noisy with some slide guitar. Impressive stuff...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 06.17.2009, 07:53 PM   #4
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Oh yes and Don't Worry Kyoko (Mommy's Only Looking For Her Hands In The Snow). That was brilliant, very powerful.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 06.17.2009, 08:29 PM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It took me ages to get over the whole Yoko= Satan Lady Macbeth thing (I was one of those who always scapegoated her in the way you described) but having done so, I've become a far bigger fan than I would've ever imagined possible. Still can't quite bring myself to forgive her for the part she played in creating 'How Do You Sleep?' though.
Old 06.17.2009, 08:38 PM   #6
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
This song

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dm_mu_dp_trk14

Is incredible to me...Why aren't more people hearing this?
Old 06.17.2009, 08:58 PM   #7
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It took me ages to get over the whole Yoko= Satan Lady Macbeth thing (I was one of those who always scapegoated her in the way you described) but having done so, I've become a far bigger fan than I would've ever imagined possible. Still can't quite bring myself to forgive her for the part she played in creating 'How Do You Sleep?' though.

Ha ha, I've never actually come across How Do You Sleep?, he aint half venting some spleen on that one. What was Yoko's part in it?

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 06.17.2009, 08:58 PM   #8
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
This song

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dm_mu_dp_trk14

Is incredible to me...Why aren't more people hearing this?

S'pretty cool, the originals better though.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 06.17.2009, 09:08 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Ha ha, I've never actually come across How Do You Sleep?, he aint half venting some spleen on that one. What was Yoko's part in it?

Yoko's role in it is pretty unclear but some people present during the rehearsals and the recording say she was really pushing Lennon to make it as hurtful as possible. She certainly had a dislike for Paul that continues on-and-off to this day. Saying all of that, George Harrison's willingness to play guitar on it hardly puts him in a great light either (although I believe relations between him and Paul were also quite strained at the time). Either way, a bad moment for all involved, I'd say.
Old 06.17.2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I'm so fucking proud of this thread. I'm 47 and I was brought up by parents who hated Yoko, for all of the usual ignorant reasons.

Fuck I love Fly.
Old 06.17.2009, 09:47 PM   #11
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Um, have you seen the film Imagine? What part did she play in this, then?
Old 06.17.2009, 11:15 PM   #12
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
That's pretty awesome.. mm london.
Old 06.18.2009, 12:12 AM   #13
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Was Yuka Honda there, as originally planned?
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 07:31 AM   #14
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

I suspect she'll be back soon, after the success of this gig (she told the audience she had been "a little scared" at first) and seeing as she might want to perform the new album. Who knows...

~~Record of the moment~~

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth