Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Music the whole world knows, but most have nevery actually heard
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2008, 03:58 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

1) Bob Marley:

yeah, everyone knows jammin, but very few have ever heard the confrontation album. of course, marley is in the middle, there a lot of surprises out there of folks who know and love a lot of this music. sometimes it is as Macka B said, "and if them ever find some man on the moon i'm sure he will know a bob marley tune, everbody loves bob marley everywhere I go its the same old story, people of all nations they love the rastaman vibration.."

2) Jerry Garcia:

Jerry G is a household name, but I doubt few people have ever heard a jerry play a jimmy cliff song.... few have listened to the dead, even fewer have ever heard jerry g solo, but almost EVERYONE knows who they are, its sort of a shame, but it is the nature of the game when you are predominantly a live band..

3) Frank Zappa:

Many many people have heard this name, but they have absolutely know idea what it means, but then again, so do many zappa heads...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 03:58 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
also on this list:

Jimi Hendrix
the Beatles
Black Sabbath..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Tom Jones
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Johnny Cash. 6 years of good to shit albums. A whole lifetime of turds, with rare breaks of good songs, and then a late-career resurgence of good records (probably his finest period, consistency-wise)

Dolly Parton - save for a few 80s albums, utterly amazing. Little Sparrow!

Paul Roberson - not just 'old man river'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:25 PM   #5
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
The Velvet Underground - Everyone I know has heard of them, yet practically none of them have actually listened to them.

Tom Waits - I guess he's well known enough to qualify
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I get irratiuoally upset when people tell me they FUCKING LOVE Bob Marley but they have never heard any thing besides the Legend compilation. what the fuck????
if you love a band or a musician would you not try to get as much as you can from them? shit

confrontation, survival, Catch a Fire, Burnin, get thjem all people! they are fucking cheaop as fuck to get on CD, ussualy a soundsaver for less than $9.00
Old 10.14.2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
What annoys me about Bob Marley are the lame stoners who wear t-shirts of him and don't even know any of his songs.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, people who like Marley, but not enough to buy all his albums.

Yeah, fuckers.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:35 PM   #9
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Marley, I got SO PISSED the other day. A guy called into a radio station and requested, get this, "Red Red Wine by Marley."

AHHHHHHH!

I wanted to reached through the radio and strangle him.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 04:56 PM   #10
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I get irratiuoally upset when people tell me they FUCKING LOVE Bob Marley but they have never heard any thing besides the Legend compilation. what the fuck????
if you love a band or a musician would you not try to get as much as you can from them? shit

confrontation, survival, Catch a Fire, Burnin, get thjem all people! they are fucking cheaop as fuck to get on CD, ussualy a soundsaver for less than $9.00

I've been enjoying a bunch of his really stripped down early recordings that are on Trojan Records recently.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 05:02 PM   #11
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
da Yooof?
Old 10.14.2008, 05:09 PM   #12
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
da Yooof?

i was about to say, thanks to movies, tv, and interviews people know the name of the band

but how many have ever heard a single song? or even the NAME of a song or album?
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 05:11 PM   #13
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I doubt most people have heard any Miles Davis.
Yeah, I think the same would go for most jazz giants like Coltrane, Ellington, Mingus, Monk, etc.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 05:15 PM   #14
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
yes Coltrane is a good one.
Old 10.14.2008, 05:29 PM   #15
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

2) Jerry Garcia:

I'll admit to not knowing a single Grateful Dead song. Or even being able to name one song title or album title for that matter.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 05:38 PM   #16
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I'll admit to not knowing a single Grateful Dead song. Or even being able to name one song title or album title for that matter.

i actually heard "Casey Jones" on the radio the other night coming back from work, maybe my favorite Dead song, and i am not really much of a fan
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 06:06 PM   #17
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
SuchFriends, when are we going to finally expand your musical horizons?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 06:12 PM   #18
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome topic.....Such Friends, what is Zappa to you, then?
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 06:14 PM   #19
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Hippie
Old 10.14.2008, 06:16 PM   #20
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Actually he was an anti-hippie...

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth