Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ethnic, Racial, Religious, etc. Identity
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.17.2010, 10:18 AM   #101
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
thank god for consumerism and a wealth of jobs because there are no slaves anymore and people dont have to work for food and shelter?
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 10:36 AM   #102
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
thank god for consumerism and a wealth of jobs because there are no slaves anymore and people dont have to work for food and shelter?

I just love yr comebacks

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 10:41 AM   #103
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb's Crunchy Delights
there are lots (EDIT: a fair few) of other examples of jesus preaching hate

on slavery: Titus 2:9 "Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again"

sure he preached love more. maybe the hate just when he was feeling a bit pissed? skipped breakfast or somesuch

I've been thinking...yr right jesus did not come to bring peace to the earth. He came as a wake up call to those who needed it so that we could all find peace in death (new life). So I guess alot of it comes across as hatefull to some...but he was just calling it as he saw it. Sometimes people don't like the truth.

Old 02.17.2010, 12:03 PM   #104
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
maybe he had moodswings or something.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 12:05 PM   #105
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Possible, he had visions and such

Old 02.17.2010, 12:05 PM   #106
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
thank god he's dead.
Old 02.17.2010, 12:07 PM   #107
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

he's alive. rebirth

Old 02.17.2010, 12:11 PM   #108
ni'k
invito al cielo

i doubt it.
Old 02.17.2010, 12:18 PM   #109
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Old 02.17.2010, 12:28 PM   #110
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
all of my favorite songs are about jesus and heroin.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 12:44 PM   #111
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

me too

Old 02.17.2010, 01:12 PM   #112
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
it's all very nice and interesting, but nothing is going to change the fact you were born a white boy probably named brian.
you're the one acting like there is something wrong with that.
sister if you can't see it then I'm done trying to explain. What is wrong with my cultural identity? Why does it trouble you so? What, am I supposed to work at the Gap, shop at Kohl's, eat at Red Robin, attend a local Presbyterian congregation where I play cheesy rock guitar in the church band, marry a boring plain jain white girl and name my kid Todd to appease your misconceived notions of who I-man is supposed to be?

When did I ever use such prejudice to judge you? Have I ever told you what culture your supposed to follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've known a lot of white guys that didn't act it. mostly, it was for attention.

not a single-one of the attention grabbers actually went so far as to attend an Ethiopian church.

in the very least, Ras has a sincere dedication toward the cause of promoting one-love.

respec'

seriously. most Ethiopians don't even go to Ethiopian Church as much as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
True that. He earned his stripes and I think it is very couragous of him to take his route, considering the fact that he must get shit about it daily in real life as well as on here. I have learned more about my faith from him than any priest or church.

thank you

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 01:34 PM   #113
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
sister if you can't see it then I'm done trying to explain. What is wrong with my cultural identity? Why does it trouble you so? What, am I supposed to work at the Gap, shop at Kohl's, eat at Red Robin, attend a local Presbyterian congregation where I play cheesy rock guitar in the church band, marry a boring plain jain white girl and name my kid Todd to appease your misconceived notions of who I-man is supposed to be?

At the risk of either fanning the flames or putting words into knox 'cunt' knox's mouth, the problem is largely not where you identify culturally. There's plenty of people who identify with cultures outside of their ethnicity, and the subject is vastly more complex than being reduced to skin-colour, relating, as it does, to a multitude of socio-economic factors. No, the problem is that you constantly - and I'd say largely unwittingly - identify white culture in entirely negative terms. Personally, I identify quite heavily with people like Oum Kalsoum or Munir Bashir, and I've been working quite hard on learning maqams and so on. I'm well aware that my relationship to Arabic culture is largely due to its esoteric nature - it's largely absent to me, except as rendered through British Arabs and ex-pat Arabs in Britain. But while this privileging of one culture is fair game, doing so at the expense of cultures closer to me isn't. Your situation is necessarily different - you say you live in a heavily black area, so the saturation of 'black' culture (obviously, culture shouldn't really be identified by colour) is expected. But the negation, or the stereotyping of 'white' culture in negative terms, is what gets people's backs up - regardless of their ethnicity. There's a (likely just) moratorium on identifying 'black' culture negatively, but the upshot of this should never be that 'white' culture be rendered as something to be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 01:35 PM   #114
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, incidentally, Jains are rarely white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 01:35 PM   #115
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

moar like, thank god for consumerism because now people don't know they're slaves anymore and they pay for their own food and shelter instead of the slave master doing so

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 01:41 PM   #116
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
At the risk of either fanning the flames or putting words into knox 'cunt' knox's mouth, the problem is largely not where you identify culturally. There's plenty of people who identify with cultures outside of their ethnicity, and the subject is vastly more complex than being reduced to skin-colour, relating, as it does, to a multitude of socio-economic factors. No, the problem is that you constantly - and I'd say largely unwittingly - identify white culture in entirely negative terms. Personally, I identify quite heavily with people like Oum Kalsoum or Munir Bashir, and I've been working quite hard on learning maqams and so on. I'm well aware that my relationship to Arabic culture is largely due to its esoteric nature - it's largely absent to me, except as rendered through British Arabs and ex-pat Arabs in Britain. But while this privileging of one culture is fair game, doing so at the expense of cultures closer to me isn't. Your situation is necessarily different - you say you live in a heavily black area, so the saturation of 'black' culture (obviously, culture shouldn't really be identified by colour) is expected. But the negation, or the stereotyping of 'white' culture in negative terms, is what gets people's backs up - regardless of their ethnicity. There's a (likely just) moratorium on identifying 'black' culture negatively, but the upshot of this should never be that 'white' culture be rendered as something to be avoided.
perhaps my rhetoric is bit harsher then my experience.

I do not have an affinity with the "white" culture that I am supposed to be. I do not like it, I do not enjoy it, I do not naturally gravitate towards it. I-man is a Rastafari since creation, and I fall towards it like a stone falls to the earth, having nothing do with race. OF COURSE, rastafari is a black nationalist movement so I have been caught up in 'whiteness' being its antithesis.

In regards to Ethiopianism, I have fallen head over heals in love with Ethiopian culture as an expression of my deep Christianity. In fact, did you know that from my conversion to Ethiopian Christianity, I actually found an affinity with my European Christian roots that as an American I had no knowledge of? I LOVE cathedrals, I love the historiography of European Christianity, I love to get in touch with Orthodoxy and roots Catholocism, as they relate to the current way I express my faith through the vehicle of Ethiopian christianity, its foods, its calender, its rituals, its songs, its clothing, its mannerisms, etc etc.

I guess all y'all have been acting defensively, assuming that when I mash on white culture, I am mashing on y'all, which is not the case I assure y'all.

another fundamental difference, is that where you might like elements of Arab culture, I LIVE Rastafari and Ethiopian culture, it is more than mere fascination. I LIVE this culture. I AM a Rastafari. I am Tewahedo Orthodox. This is culture. These are MY culture. I am also of European ancestry and have white skin, this is my geno/phenotype, irrelevant to culture. Perhaps what is hard for y'all out in SYG to understand is how I could possibly and truly BE a part of a culture which generally treats folks like us as outsiders, and that is as much a mystery to me as you. I was openly accepted, and I am a functioning member of these communities, not as an outsider who infiltrated, but actually the opposite. Technically, I am infiltrating white-american culture

Old 02.17.2010, 02:05 PM   #117
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
when I mash on white culture, I am mashing on y'all. I assure y'all.

other than that, I don't really care.

there's a good chance that I won't like you, regardless of coloUr.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 02:10 PM   #118
ni'k
invito al cielo

wait i had to EDIT that out because i realised i couldnt give a fuck whatsoever
Old 02.17.2010, 02:12 PM   #119
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
wait i had to EDIT that out because i realised i couldnt give a fuck whatsoever
\
seriously, I have been wondering why I have to explain myself so damned much here, because why do so many folks at lest feign to give a shit or even worse, dedicate so much time talking pure shit! I must have posted my autobiography across countless threads and as it has been said, it is beating a dead horse.

Old 02.17.2010, 02:21 PM   #120
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
You cannot separate love and hate. Humans are hard hearted and alot of things in the bible take that into consideration. In the society of the time in which that was written it was common for people to have servants. Some were not slaves persay, but people that worked for food and shelter in a time that did not have consumerism and a wealth of jobs for a large population. Also it is symbolic of God being the master and we are the servants and that for our lives to be as peacefull as possible in this world it is best that we obey what he has told us. Because after all, sin usually harms the sinner more than anyone else.
i used the kjv because i like it, but i haven't found anybody who disputes that it's slaves that he means and is specified in other translations.

if jesus was so caring and thought we should all be kind to each other and consider everybody to be equal, why didn't he condemn slavery in spite of the prevailing attitude of the time?

you can separate love and hate. one's kissy kissy and the other's punchy punchy

Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth