Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NME's 100 Greatest Albums of All Time (2003)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Boring? Hahaha. Please. It is a complete deconstruction of rock, melding blues, jazz, poetry, prog, classical. Filled with some of the greatest works ever written by man. An important record in every respect and I'm willing to bet that entire genres can be traced back to that record as a starting point. To hear that when it first came out would've been a major shock to ANYONE's synapses, and the fact that it still holds up 40 years later is quite telling.

A landmark album and easily one of the most important albums of all time. And it's not even my favorite Beefheart album!
GO BE A FUCKING CRITIC PLEASE.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:20 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone's a critic. The minute you listen to a record and have an opinion about it, you're being critical.

I'm not a critic by your definition, though, I'm just informed. Rob called an amazing album boring... I find that silly!

So.. uh.. I'M STICKING OUT MY TONGUE AT YOU.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 03:20 PM   #23
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
We should try and organise some kind of proper poll for SY board members. Christ there's enough of us that we could surely come up with say a top ten 'greatest' albums or something. Have every provide their top five, have points from say 8 for number 1, then graduate it down to 1 point for number 5. Set a deadline, add em all up and then bingo. The Official SY Gossip Ten Greatest Albums of All-Time.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 03:21 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah demonrail sure, I'll get right on that.

Old 08.01.2008, 03:22 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Boring? Hahaha. Please. It is a complete deconstruction of rock, melding blues, jazz, poetry, prog, classical. Filled with some of the greatest works ever written by man. An important record in every respect and I'm willing to bet that entire genres can be traced back to that record as a starting point. To hear that when it first came out would've been a major shock to ANYONE's synapses, and the fact that it still holds up 40 years later is quite telling.

A landmark album and easily one of the most important albums of all time. And it's not even my favorite Beefheart album!

and it carries the stank of the biggest turdmesiter to ever strap on a guitar and have a child named Dweezil.

everything you stated above has been stated by every single ardent fan of PROG BULLSHIT from Fripp fanatics to crimson nuts to YES idiots to all them fucking shit ass bands. fuck that shit.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:23 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
We should try and organise some kind of proper poll for SY board members. Christ there's enough of us that we could surely come up with say a top ten 'greatest' albums or something. Have every provide their top five, have points from say 8 for number 1, then graduate it down to 1 point for number 5. Set a deadline, add em all up and then bingo. The Official SY Gossip Ten Greatest Albums of All-Time.

this is a genius idea. GENIUS
Old 08.01.2008, 03:24 PM   #27
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Everyone's a critic. The minute you listen to a record and have an opinion about it, you're being critical.

I'm not a critic by your definition, though, I'm just informed. Rob called an amazing album boring... I find that silly!

you may be informed but what you write sounds like it came straight out of any mainstream "music" magazine.

don't get your panties in a twist. just making an observation.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:24 PM   #28
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and it carries the stank of the biggest turdmesiter to ever strap on a guitar and have a child named Dweezil.

everything you stated above has been stated by every single ardent fan of PROG BULLSHIT from Fripp fanatics to crimson nuts to YES idiots to all them fucking shit ass bands. fuck that shit.

Get off the fence rob, please. If you don't like it just say so.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 03:25 PM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well I'm not a Yes nut or a crimson nut or whatever you said, I just find the album in question completely inspiring and have for a good 6 years. I'm sorry it's not your thing... but even albums I don't necessarily enjoy, I can at least tell the culturual significance of. I'm not the biggest fan of Marquee Moon -- despite some of the amazing guitar interplay, I find some of it a bit boring... however, I'm not going to say "duh it's not an important record cuz it's BORIN'." Of course it's an important record, and it doesn't bother me in the least when people say so.

Old 08.01.2008, 03:26 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I just listened to two tracks off it again, just to refresh my memory of this bloated hippie-stank fucking wank-a-thon, straight from the bowels of everything that sucked shit about music in 1968, tweedle-lee-dee stop start ZAPPA-esque LSD fried idiocy
Old 08.01.2008, 03:26 PM   #31
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

it's trendy to call things boring nowadays.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:27 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Also, Cantankerous, if you can find a mainstream "music" magazine with tastes or observations like mine, please PLEASE let me know so I can apply for a job there... Because, yeah, I gurantee that 90% of the shit I talk about you won't find in any magazine.

Don't get your boyshorts in a twist, just an observation.

Old 08.01.2008, 03:27 PM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well I'm not a Yes nut or a crimson nut or whatever you said, I just find the album in question completely inspiring and have for a good 6 years. I'm sorry it's not your thing... but even albums I don't necessarily enjoy, I can at least tell the culturual significance of. I'm not the biggest fan of Marquee Moon -- despite some of the amazing guitar interplay, I find some of it a bit boring... however, I'm not going to say "duh it's not an important record cuz it's BORIN'." Of course it's an important record, and it doesn't bother me in the least when people say so.

and it IS an important record, no doubt.

I was not refering to you liking YES but that what you said about trout mask has been said endless times to be by fanatic YES fans, or King Crimson fans
Old 08.01.2008, 03:27 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Rob, there's nothing hippy or wanky about it. They spent a year writing those avant blues masterpieces. Listen to "veteran's day poppy" or "steal softly through snow". Beautiful compositions.

Old 08.01.2008, 03:28 PM   #35
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Also, Cantankerous, if you can find a mainstream "music" magazine with tastes or observations like mine, please PLEASE let me know so I can apply for a job there... Because, yeah, I gurantee that 90% of the shit I talk about you won't find in any magazine.

Don't get your boyshorts in a twist, just an observation.
i didn't say you had the same taste, i'm saying you write like them, fucktard.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:29 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I just listened to hair pie bake 2

don;t get it. don;t like it.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:29 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Demonrail, I have a good idea regarding your idea.

Have everyone list their top 10 records...

And give them a point value. For example, my # 1 album would get 10 points, my # 2 album would get 9 points, my # 3 album would get 8 points, etc.

Then, have someone keep track of what albums get the most points.

Since there'll probably be a TON of records listed, may just take the top 30 or so and we'll narrow it down to a top 10.

Old 08.01.2008, 03:31 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I don't understand how my writing can "sound" like it came from a mainstream music magazine when I'm writing nothing that would actually come from a mainstream music magazine. Again, it goes back to my original point, I'm INFORMED about shit, that's the only thing I have in common with a mainstream music writer -- I know what I'm talking about. No fucking biggy.

Also, Rob, Hair Pie Bake 2 is the worst song on the album and doesn't sound a thing like any of the other songs. There's that song and a couple of the acapella songs on there that I'm sure you wouldn't like but I think it's fairly easy to "get" the two songs I mentioned.. or "Ella Guru".

Old 08.01.2008, 03:31 PM   #39
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I just listened to hair pie bake 2

don;t get it. don;t like it.
there's nothing to "get"

i don't know why people waste their time trying to "get" things (and before anyone else takes it upon themselves to misinterperet what i'm saying, i'm NOT saying that you ARE wasting your time trying to "get" anything)

i like trout mask replica okay but it would definitely get boring after repeated listenings

Quote:
I don't understand how my writing can "sound" like it came from a mainstream music magazine when I'm writing nothing that would actually come from a mainstream music magazine.

Also, Rob, Hair Pie Bake 2 is the worst song on the album and doesn't sound a thing like any of the other songs.
i'm going to go make a sandwich because i would find it more entertaining to watch butter burn in a frying pan than read this whiny spew.
Old 08.01.2008, 03:32 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Could I ask that you make more comments about criticism rather than comments about records? Because this is actually quite a well-reasoned and cogent post. Not that your comments about records aren't appreciated, they're just a bit... earnest, for my taste (and my taste is, as we've established, that of a cunt).

I was nattering about Trout Mask Replica the other night, as it happens. It's one of those records, like the White album and the like, that are pretty much indispensible to the rock lexicon, like them or not. Part of the problem with the album is that, by being what it is, it ends up eluding criticism 'they're playing like they can't play' or 'it's just spazzy blues' have the same effect if they're said positively or negatively. 'It's over-rated' can be applied to any album with enough cultural currency - be it Trout Mask Replica or Slippery when Wet. For my part, I enjoy the album, and that took me a fucking long time. And, unlike a lot of the pantheon of 'all-time greats', its influence (or its explicit influence) has been minimal. No-one's made a record that's quite like it, or those that have made some unimportant guff.

It does go on for about a million years too long though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth