Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page January 2014 at The Stone, NYC, curated by Thurston Moore.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2013, 06:36 PM   #1
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston Moore will be curating a residence at The Stone in New York City, from December 31st, 2013 to January 5, 2014. Some of the artists performing will be Gene Moore, Steve Shelley, Okkyung Lee, John Moloney, Samara Lubelski, Marc Edwards, Nate Wooley....

http://www.thestonenyc.com/calendar.php?month=3
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2013, 06:44 PM   #2
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Thurston Moore will be curating a residence at The Stone in New York City, from December 31st, 2013 to January 5, 2014. Some of the artists performing will be Gene Moore, Steve Shelley, Okkyung Lee, John Moloney, Samara Lubelski, Marc Edwards, Nate Wooley....

http://www.thestonenyc.com/calendar.php?month=3

Impressive. Thurston/Okkyung Lee/Steve, Francis-Marie Uitti & Marc Ribot, Marc Ribot Trio with Mary Halvorson: gotta get me recordings of all that, and if no recordings surface I will shoot myself in the face.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2013, 11:57 PM   #3
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
The Stone doesn't allow taping (or even taking pics), I think. Let's have hope, though.
Old 10.25.2013, 12:13 PM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
They finally put up the lineups, I posted about this months and months ago...at $15 a pop, I have to pick more carefully thanI used to. I can rule out anything with Nate Wooley, I can't listen to trumpet through distortion boxes.

this will be the sweet spot

Thurston Moore, Gene Moore, Daniel Carter, Gene Janas and Marc Edwards
Thurston Moore, Gene Moore (guitars) Daniel Carter (sax) Gene Janas (bass) Marc Edwards (drums)
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2013, 02:04 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
The Stone doesn't allow taping (or even taking pics), I think. Let's have hope, though.

Fuck yeah. About time somebody as the BALLS to enforce 1990s art/music etiquette. I am SO FUCKING SICK of going to shows and have to look over the tops of several hundred cell-phones recording the show and snapping pictures endlessly. Its like, "Dude, really, is it THAT fucking important for you to get a grainy, shit-sounding 45 second video clip of each song?" I admit, I have relished in some epically great YouTube bootlegs of some great live shows, but honestly, those are one person out of the several hundred recording. In other words, professional kind of bootleggers who would have pulled it off in the 1990s just the same. Propz to The Stone for sticking to their guns and telling phones/cameras to FUCK OFF. Lets respect the show, lets actually ENJOY the MOMENT rather than live for recording it. Lets treasure OUR ACTUAL MEMORIES rather than wasting the opportunity to develop some memories by trying to record every damned thing. When I first started going to shows in the 1990s, simply put, if you took a camera out, THEY'D CONFISCATE IT. Even worse if you were trying to video/audio record the show, they'd kick you the fuck out for that, if not worse! Bands used to get seriously offended at bootlegging, and further, I think everybody trying to be the concert photographers absolutely KILLS the mood. Fuck that. The Stone is setting a great example, I only wish other venues would follow.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2013, 03:35 PM   #6
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Fuck yeah. About time somebody as the BALLS to enforce 1990s art/music etiquette. I am SO FUCKING SICK of going to shows and have to look over the tops of several hundred cell-phones recording the show and snapping pictures endlessly. Its like, "Dude, really, is it THAT fucking important for you to get a grainy, shit-sounding 45 second video clip of each song?" I admit, I have relished in some epically great YouTube bootlegs of some great live shows, but honestly, those are one person out of the several hundred recording. In other words, professional kind of bootleggers who would have pulled it off in the 1990s just the same. Propz to The Stone for sticking to their guns and telling phones/cameras to FUCK OFF. Lets respect the show, lets actually ENJOY the MOMENT rather than live for recording it. Lets treasure OUR ACTUAL MEMORIES rather than wasting the opportunity to develop some memories by trying to record every damned thing. When I first started going to shows in the 1990s, simply put, if you took a camera out, THEY'D CONFISCATE IT. Even worse if you were trying to video/audio record the show, they'd kick you the fuck out for that, if not worse! Bands used to get seriously offended at bootlegging, and further, I think everybody trying to be the concert photographers absolutely KILLS the mood. Fuck that. The Stone is setting a great example, I only wish other venues would follow.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. In the past few years I've seen Dylan, Cat Power, The Nels Cline Singers, Fred Frith, Springsteen, Television, The Breeders, Kurt Vile and of course Sonic Youth, Chelsea Light Moving (before they had the name) and my man Lee R. & The Dust, and there's nothing, nothing more wretched than the PUTRID OCEAN of cellphone cameras in front of the artists - well, assclowns yelling completely stupid requests, mysoginistic bullshit and constant shout outs to the performer ("Bob! Bobby! Dylan!" - yeah, asshole, I forgot who was on stage) come in at a close second.

On his tour with St. Vincent, David Byrne would address the crowds before the shows started to ask them exactly what you express: don't experience the whole show behind the lens of a tiny crappy screen; live in the moment and cherish it (David and Annie did allow taping, though). Recent Prince shows, from what I've read, are truly zero-tolerance events: pull a camera and you're OUT of the venue, period.

Having said all this, and acknowledging the right The Stone has to implement whatever policy in this regard suits it best, I was just hoping for some recordings because I will NOT have any chance whatsoever to attend those shows unless I suddenly win the lottery or get a truly sweet loot from robbing a liquor store or something. An ideal alternative would be that, with the permission of the artists involved, The Stone itself could offer professional-quality lossless recordings for sale via their website and the profits would help both the venue and the performers. Am I asking too much? Yeah, OK, probably...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.29.2013, 02:23 PM   #7
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
" The Stone itself could offer professional-quality lossless recordings for sale via their website and the profits would help both the venue and the performers. Am I asking too much? Yeah, OK, probably..."

Exactly how is that going to happen? Magic? You do realize there is no there there. There's no staff. A volunteer works the door. Who is going to sell it? There's no staff to fulfill orders. Who will drag professional equipment to and from the Stone for no compensation
Old 10.29.2013, 06:10 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
. Who will drag professional equipment to and from the Stone for no compensation

Deadheads?

Old 10.30.2013, 09:41 AM   #9
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

if it is not permitted they won't be showing up - the Dead were pro taping so people would bring top level gear to those shows - in the taping quad
Old 10.30.2013, 11:16 AM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
if it is not permitted they won't be showing up - the Dead were pro taping so people would bring top level gear to those shows - in the taping quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Damn it Henry, give me the tape!"

Old 10.30.2013, 02:14 PM   #11
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
" The Stone itself could offer professional-quality lossless recordings for sale via their website and the profits would help both the venue and the performers. Am I asking too much? Yeah, OK, probably..."

Exactly how is that going to happen? Magic? You do realize there is no there there. There's no staff. A volunteer works the door. Who is going to sell it? There's no staff to fulfill orders. Who will drag professional equipment to and from the Stone for no compensation

OK, "professional" was too strong a word for me to use. I'm not talking about some high-tech reel-to-reel built into the huge-ass computer that defeated Garry Kasparov. There's gotta be some kind of soundboard into which a common portable DAT recorder can be plugged, no? And if there isn't, fuck it - the other day I was listening to Mars' Live At Irving Plaza, the LP Thurston and Byron Coley released last year, taped in 1978 (!) by Brian Eno "on some kind of prototype cassette recorder" (!!) and it sounds GREAT.

As for fulfilling orders, there's not much to it these days. You don't even need to hook up with kungfustore or greedbag - just set up a PayPal account, upload the files for free to SendSpace and with the SS Wizard software (also free) make sure people don't download it more than twice. Compensation? I'd do it for a can of Coke and some french fries.

Old 10.30.2013, 02:39 PM   #12
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
There's gotta be some kind of soundboard into which a common portable DAT recorder can be plugged, no? And if there isn't, fuck it.

There's a board but typically not much is plugged in, just things like keyboards or vocals that need a direct feed.

If someone were to get permission from Thurston they could do a high quality recording.
Old 11.04.2013, 03:09 AM   #13
maropi
bad moon rising

maropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
There's a board but typically not much is plugged in, just things like keyboards or vocals that need a direct feed.

If someone were to get permission from Thurston they could do a high quality recording.

I was there three times this August (Fred Frith week), and the people in the Stone recorded themselves all three shows.

I believe they may record everything, and from time to time they choose one of their recordings for their CD releases (they sell them at $20 at the venue).

http://www.thestonenyc.com/support.html

There were 1-2 more releases at the venue, if I remember well...
maropi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2013, 04:26 PM   #14
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maropi
I believe they may record everything, and from time to time they choose one of their recordings for their CD releases (they sell them at $20 at the venue).

http://www.thestonenyc.com/support.html

And of course some recordings make it onto Zorn's Tzadik label and site:

http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=0004

Old 11.05.2013, 04:51 PM   #15
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
And of course some recordings make it onto Zorn's Tzadik label and site:

http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=0004

my friend recorded that, gave them the recording gratis.

There is no there there - there is no soundboard crew or bar crew - its one guy working the door and helping out the bands.

I just wish they hadn't raised their prices to $15.
Old 11.05.2013, 05:33 PM   #16
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
nice lineup! what is jim o'rourke up to, these days, by the way?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2014, 11:42 AM   #17
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Here's a review of the kick-off gig on Tuesday:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...LEFTTopStories
Old 01.02.2014, 07:25 PM   #18
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
here's hoping the White Out set is taped!

this looks good coming up there

THE STONE RESIDENCIES
ANNIE GOSFIELD
APRIL 29—MAY 4
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2014, 01:12 PM   #19
tesla69
Banned

I see T is playing at the Burroughs centennial thing there in April

4/17 Thursday (KM)
8 pm
Medeski, Martin and Dunn
John Medeski (piano, organ) Trevor Dunn (bass) Billy Martin (drums)

10 pm
Thurston Moore
Thurston Moore (guitar)
Old 01.03.2014, 02:27 PM   #20
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
here's hoping the White Out set is taped!

Its tough to decide which to try and see: T with Tom Surgal alone @ 8pm or with the full White Out band @ 10pm...I'm not too enthused about waiting outside for an hour in 20 degree weather, which I assume is what it will take to get in tomorrow to see the caught on tape set with lee...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth