Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mattress Live on What's This Called? for St. Patrick's Day!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.16.2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
This St. Patrick's Day, Saturday, March 17th, from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (That's 7-8 PM in Belfast!) tune-in to What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang on KPSU for a special live performance from Portland's most deranged crooner...

MATTRESS

A rare artist who manages to equally please fans of '80s new wave pop and experimental noise without compromising himself in the slightest, Mattress manages to lay down music that is infectious and disturbing at the same time. He's not afraid to be underground, but he doesn't take that as an excuse to sluff off writing good songs. In fact, creating ditties that stick to your brain like a well placed nail-gun is what he does best. Days after you've listened to one of his songs, you'll find the words still echoing in your head, and catch yourself humming sounds that you couldn't even explain if somebody were to ask.

Don't miss this in studio performance STREAMING LIVE RIGHT HERE!

or for Portlanders, on the good 'ol fashioned radio:

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus!

Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses

Playlist for St. Patrick's Day edition of What's This Called? with host Ricardo Wang, 3/17/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU. This week featuring special Live Guest: Mattress!

DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Artist - Song/Track - Album/Recording - Recording Label (if any) - link

Teleseen - "Native Yard #133345" - War - percepts - http://www.percepts.info
William Shatner - "Common People" - Has Been - Shout Factory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shatner
Joy Wants Eternity - "H. L. Mencken" - Must You Smash Your Ears Before You Learn to Listen with Your Eyes - indie - http://www.myspace.com/joywantseternity

MATTRESS LIVE ON WHAT'S THIS CALLED?

Childhood Friends - "Reality Decoder" - Scars - indie - http://www.myspace.com/forest friends

MATTRESS INTERVIEW

MATTRESS LIVE ON WHAT'S THIS CALLED?

Next Week: Chris from the ultra-pychedelic/experimental Portland based record label Beta-Lactam Ring Recordings will be joining me in the studio to preview some of the new discs he's putting out. There will be give aways, so this is not to be missed!
Old 03.19.2007, 05:08 PM   #3
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, I'll listen to that for sure! Thanks for posting this!
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

No problem, I'll make a point of posting my live guests on here when I've got them. Is he a friend of yours by any chance?
Old 03.20.2007, 05:56 AM   #5
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
I've had some contact with Rex Mattress. I first learned of him because I'm a big James Squeaky/Argumentix fan, and I got the Argumentix/Mattress collaboration CDR when it came out on oms-B. When James released the "El Dorado" CDR on his Below PDX label, my girlfriend started singing the title track over and over because she loved it so much. Now she has designs on starting her own DIY label, and she wants the first 7" to be feature Mattress.

Recently, I've been in touch with Rex to help him schedule a tour stop in my area on May 5th. He's actually pretty well-established here in Davis as a radio star, so it would be a fun show here.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth