Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Makes me sad...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2006, 04:33 PM   #21
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
woah what the hell was all that about????
its pretty kool, but strange very strange!

Yeah it is! It's an interesting way to come upon Sonic Youth though. I watched it with my brother and he was like "haha, it says sonic youth for no reason". And I was all "what's sonic youth?". So he told me it was a band so I checked it out.
Old 07.21.2006, 04:43 PM   #22
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
I think RR is their best album since Goo personally, but it seems that's a pretty minority view. Sure, it uses very traditional structures (much as Goo did), but there's a lot of interesting stuff happening within that. I think its a well focussed statement.
Of course, its no Confusion... or Bad Moon..., but then again, what is?
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 04:49 PM   #23
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, Inhuman. I have to say, that's the best SY introduction you can possibly get.

And in response to the original post, I think everything you said is prefectly valid, except the career advice. They should not break up just because some fans think it would suit their musical needs. While everyone is entitled to their opinions (I liked RR, but not Murray Street or Sonic Nurse at all), they're the band, and they'll break up when and if they want to. Our opinions should not effect that. That's why they're legendary - They play what they want, regardless of how it affects their image or career. They may not be playing what we want them to, but oh well. It's their music, and they'll play it. That's why I like them. They don't sell out.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 05:09 PM   #24
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I put Murray Street on last night around midnight just to hear Sympathy for the Strawberry and after hearing the first notes of The Empty Page, I ended up listening to the whole album. I was planning on sleeping, but I spent my time just listening to it in my bed. I have had the same moments with all their albums.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 05:15 PM   #25
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
what do you want? sy to come out and give another evol or daydream. its not gonna happen guys!!!!! rr aint a great sy record but its still pretty good. its not half as bad as experimental anyway
Old 07.21.2006, 06:53 PM   #26
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
im starting to agree.

if even they made another daydream nation it would be like "gah! guys, stop while your ahead".

so its not that RR is bad (ive only listened to half) it just seems they are milking their career for more than its worth.
Old 07.21.2006, 07:16 PM   #27
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Balls
Old 07.21.2006, 08:10 PM   #28
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
first of all: I REALLY don't think they should break up!

I like Rather Ripped, but I deffinately think it has a weak point. All Music describes the albums as sounding like all radio-edits, and I think that's spot on. It's kinda like if you made an entire album out of the radio-edit of Sunday - still damn cool - but it would really be nice to have some more experimental moments. There are exceptions (Turqouise Boy, Pink Steam and to some extent Rats) and even some songs that are probably cooler with this more sparse treatment (Reena) but some of the tracks just scream for more noise! Come on, if Or had been on any other Sonic album it would deffinately have a 10 minute noise ending. Even Rats could do, with another burst of white noise. All that said, I think it's a kick ass album - just not as exciting or adventorous as you'd expect from them.
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 09:09 PM   #29
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
i mean could you imagine if the beatles where still togather, playing tours? it just wouldnt be the same. regardless the beatles rule my soul and it doesnt downgrade them as a band, but they knew when it was time

sometimes you just gotta know when to call it quits
Old 07.21.2006, 09:33 PM   #30
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
The Beatles are probably, for me, the only apt comparison...good call. They broke up right when they should have. If they had gone on to make complete albums of MOR early 70s rock, it would've been ridiculous, and completely tarnished their career (imagine if all of Paul's solo stuff had actually been Beatles stuff...some of it was okay but most of it was pretty hoaky. Would've been laughable after something like "Strawberry Fields" or "Helter Skelter"). They actually got a little too close to such stuff on Let It Be, and then broke up!

Regarding how they just "do what they want, and that's what makes them legendary": yes and no. It is that they always do what they want, but more importantly that they want to do is generally amazing. Rather Ripped is by no means amazing. Sorry. Take for example the breakdown on "Reena": we've heard better versions of that SAME EXACT THING at least 6 other times from them. Again, if what they REALLY WANTED TO DO, MAN was play racist California hardcore with ska inflections, would you say the same thing? I think it's easy to say it in the case of RR because it's such safe music.

Safe, and boring. Safe, and not beautiful. Safe, and not that rockin'. Safe doesn't have to be bad. It is in this case.
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 09:34 PM   #31
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
But it's not all about the fans, or even all about the music. When it comes to the question of them breaking up, it's all about them. It's their life and their happiness. If they're happy making shitty euro-pop dance beats from now on, it's their privilege to be happy doing it.

And putting racism into the mix completely changes the argument to an ethical debate. Music is not ethics.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 11:49 PM   #32
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Coco is growing up, they are aging gracefully and there are countless noise bands out there at this moment who would not have existed without Sonic Youth. In fact much of modern music would not exist without Sonic Youth. They have domesticated somewhat and this is the sound of thier sonic lives encapsulated and distilled within these 3 albums. We should be thankful at the very least that they still choose to make music from where it matters. The heart. Thankful that they have given us this opportunity to hear a differing viewpoint of the Sonic Youth sound. Which has always been what it was about, hasn't it? I remember Dirty being panned universally and criticized for being almost a parody of themselves. Truth is, from Goo onwards they've always been corporate ghosts, linking the mainstream and the underground. They incorporate hooks and melodies into their music and different viewpoints of noise and melody because that's what they've always done. What they always strove to do. My two cents.
Old 07.21.2006, 11:52 PM   #33
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Old 07.21.2006, 11:57 PM   #34
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I feel grateful they're still making music. Thank you, Thurston, Lee, Kim & Steve. Thank you, Sonic Youth.
Old 07.22.2006, 12:54 AM   #35
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
I'm not saying they should break up because I want them to. I'm saying they should break up because they don't really make good music anymore. Of course it's their right if they want to become a rote reggae band or a gang of yodeling mountaineers. Doesn't mean they should And yes, I am making a statement about what I think SY should do. And no, I don't think that violates what I love about them in the first place.
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 06:53 AM   #36
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
you would like something else then?
so find something else. start to explore if you're not satisfaied enough (did you allready). thats it. maybe it's time to check out some solo projects by members and you'll find what you're looking for.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 06:58 AM   #37
making the drama scene
bad moon rising

making the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's asses
e.g. this one:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4309
making the drama scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 11:40 AM   #38
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston Moore
"I guess we can be perceived as avant-garde because it's a term for music that is unorthodox or art that is unorthodox. Which is all very fine. We never really set out to win any popularity contests," Moore says. "But we've always had complete interest in pop music, melodic music. I find it more interesting to move away from the vanguard of extrapolated experimental noise music when it's such a popular musical style right now. I think it's more interesting for us to not delve into that right now but to do more direct, compact, sonic pop records.
"I always thought popular culture was sort of really there for avant-garde people to use in their work. Warhol always did that. I would think that in the same way that the mainstream needs the avant-garde to break ground, to shift thinking, then non-mainstream needs the mainstream to present the point against which it rebels.
"I really like blurring the distinctions," Moore says. "If you can do that, then that is really cool."

There you go.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 03:14 PM   #39
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
There you go.

Yeh, that's what I was trying to get at. A lot of the music that's most interesting to me allows artists to appeal to a more mainstream audience by using "pop" structures, while maintaining depth for those who want to find it.
That is so much more difficult to do than an album's worth of white noise.
Rather Ripped is a good example of that.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 03:18 PM   #40
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I just keep saying it sonic nurse is a masterpiece and RR kinda suckt.
They shouldn't break up, Jim should just come back...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth