Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Empty Page: Fiction Inspired by the Songs of Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.20.2006, 04:21 AM   #21
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wild
I'm surprised nobody went for Teenage Riot ...

I was surprised that no none picked The Diamond Sea. Many fans consider it to be SY Magnus Opus. I remember that most of us went for it as the best Sy funeral song.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 08:45 AM   #22
Peter Wild
empty page

Peter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's assesPeter Wild kicks all y'all's asses
There are dozens of great titles ... That's why they are such a great band for this. I have a real soft spot for Cinderella's Big Score too
Peter Wild is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 08:39 AM   #23
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
i once wrote a short story with a live cut of she is not alone as my soundtrack.. it was an eerie sci-fi piece...
Old 11.18.2006, 03:06 PM   #24
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
On December 13, the Serpent's Tail editor will be meeting up with Sonic Youth in Paris so the band can read the manuscript and ponder the introduction they'll be writing for the book which should be out on October 2007.
Old 11.18.2006, 03:26 PM   #25
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Moshe, for the info.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 02:56 AM   #26
Lee is Free
Administrator

Lee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Peter--that title should be "freezer burn/I wanna..." , not "freezer burns/..."-----

Looking fwd to the book--psyched that Mary Gaitskill chose Wish Fulfillment!

LR/SY
Lee is Free is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 09:18 AM   #27
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
isnt donna tarte the empty page?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 10:33 AM   #28
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
kick ass
Old 11.25.2006, 01:24 AM   #29
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.powells.com/blog/?p=1462

Muskrat Love: Fiction Inspired by Captain and Tenille

September 27th, 2006: Posted by Jess Walter

So I'm at work this morning, torturing the home keys, and listening to an old Tom Waits album (Rain Dogs). There's almost always music playing when I'm writing. I recently wrote a short story for an anthology called The Empty Page: Fiction Inspired by Sonic Youth. The book is the brainchild of a talented and tireless British writer and editor named Peter Wild, whose website Bookmunch is one of my favorite stops for book reviews.
Peter gathered an impressive group of authors (myself excluded) to write short stories that share titles with songs by Sonic Youth, the landmark alt-rock band. I chose a later song, "Rain on Tin," from the album Murray Street. Like the others, my story has nothing to do with the song except that it shares the same title.
The Sonic Youth book is one of a series that Peter is editing for a British press. The first book, Perverted by Language, features stories inspired by the English post-punk band The Fall (the only band I know named after an Albert Camus novel). He's also doing collections of stories inspired by The Smiths, The Ramones, Joy Division and The Velvet Underground.
Peter's spot-on taste in music and literature got me to thinking about which bands and musicians this kind of anthology would work for and which it wouldn't. For instance, at first glance, you'd think an intellectually-charged band like Radiohead would be perfect, but when you look at their song titles, there really aren't that many great story titles ("Paranoid Android"? "We Suck Young Blood"?).
Tom Waits doesn't work for an entirely different reason — so many of his songs are stories themselves. (Would you really want to try to improve the beginning of "Frank's Wild Years": Frank settled down in the Valley and he hung his wild years on a nail that he drove through his wife's forehead.)
The exercise also got me to thinking about some anthologies that will likely never see the light of day (please, feel free to suggest your own):
Ridin' the Storm Out: Fiction inspired by REO Speedwagon.
Good Vibrations: Fiction inspired by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.
Flirtin' with Disaster: Fiction inspired by Molly Hatchet.
Old 12.14.2006, 09:20 AM   #30
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I should also say: this is the 2nd book in a series of 6: the first (out next June) is called Perverted by Language: Fiction inspired by The Fall; the second is Sonic Youth .. after that, there'll be Ramones, Joy Division, Velvet Underground ...

Yeah, The Fall book should be fun. Apparently Mark E Smith has done one of the short stories himself...
Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 10:39 AM   #31
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
A couple of writers (Arthur Nersesian and Emily Carter) have still got to pick so maybe they'll set the record straight. I'm surprised nobody went for Teenage Riot ...

Maybe the contributor's thought that would be the obvious choice, so they may have chose to stay away from it. Either way, a VERY interesting project.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 11:58 PM   #32
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I didn't realize that there wasn't a Sister tune. I think I only noticed the WM thing was because there were so many EJST&NS ones that I paid more attention there.
Well EJS was Sonic Youth's highest charting album, surprisingly.
Old 07.12.2007, 03:34 AM   #33
Moshe
Super Moderator

Set to be published by Serpent's Tail in April 2008. Here is the cover:

Old 07.12.2007, 03:36 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
who?

what?

where?

when?

why?

how?!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2007, 03:43 AM   #35
Moshe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
who?

what?

where?

when?

why?

how?!
You are allowed to ask just one question.
Old 07.12.2007, 03:51 AM   #36
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Should be good! I hope it will be
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2007, 03:52 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
thurston moore - gary oldman
lee ranaldo - robert deniro
kim gordon - scarlett johannson (aged about 50 years)
steve shelley - steve baldwin after losing about 50 pounds

that's my story.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2007, 04:42 AM   #38
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
wow, a story inspired by Shadow of a Doubt... hope it's as fucked up as the song is
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2007, 06:28 AM   #39
mAraujo
little trouble girl

mAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to behold
Sounds good. Will I be able to buy this in Portugal?
mAraujo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2007, 11:11 AM   #40
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
That is cool. Death To Our Friends should be a good one.

No one choose a song from Washing Machine?!

I would have thouhgt The Diamond Sea would be brilliant for this kind of thing... Oh well.

Looks cool, I'll probably get it.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth