Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What would you like the next Sonic Youth album to sound like?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2007, 06:23 PM   #1
sarramkrop

Personally (and if i'll have enough patience for another one), it'd be interesting for them to do something less 'sonic' and more acoustic based, but not in the horrid tradition that this term has generally meant for bands suddenly switching from electric to more tamed atmospheres, causing the hidden limitions that high volume can sometimes hide to show. I have more in mind acoustic but in a twisted and subtle way, drony but with enough hooks that would demand repeated listenings.The fact that their side projects seem to work more than their more recent official albums in terms of showing a more refined texture in their sound could be a point of new start for them if applied to acoustic instruments.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I've been thinking about this and I sorta agree with you on the acoustic front.

I'd like to hear some really nice Lee songs, acoustic and quite 60s pop in a way. Subtle drumwork from Steve, Kim and Thurston holding it down but all quite mellow.

I'd also like to hear a sonic first- and I say this in all seriousness- I want Steve to sing a song. I bet he has a wonderful singing voice. Kinda like the thing Moe Tucker did for V.U... cute, innocent, amazingly good.

Kim and Thurston should duet on a song, not too different from 'sweet shine'.

Mostly mellow acoustic pop from another dimension with clever electric parts. Thats what I want.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 06:30 PM   #3
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i want a 90 minute cover of the human league's "don't you want me" complete with power drills ran through pedals in the background a la "burning spear".

i'm serious.

but i think an acoustic would be a new path. lee has always had a '60s vibe going (to me, at least) i think he needs to fully embrace.
Old 03.19.2007, 06:37 PM   #4
sarramkrop

Probably what i mean to say here is that it would be interesting to hear them working in a more toned down mode. I generally think that something like that could be pulled by them if Lee Ranaldo was more at the reins of an entire Sonic Youth album but who knows?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 07:31 PM   #5
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
The last album was a cross between Sister and Experimental Jet Set (bear with me here).

The next one should be a cross between Daydream Nation and Washing Machine. How stupendous would that be? Pull out the bass guitar, get really rocked up, and let the screechy sprawl just unravel!

Maybe that or a really great all-instrumental SYR-style record, but released as a major SY album and featuring a whole stable of their collaborators.
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 08:51 PM   #6
ohfuchsia
little trouble girl

ohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i want a 90 minute cover of the human league's "don't you want me" complete with power drills ran through pedals in the background a la "burning spear". .

that's fantastic!
ohfuchsia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I think they've been moving in a consciously "accessible" direction long enough. I'd like them to make the sort of break they did when they put out Washing Machine, which was kind of a return to being Sonic Youth first after the attempts at success of Dirty and EJT&NS.

This is not to say I'm putting down the accessible records, as there is much I still love about them. However, I'm ready for them to pull out the stops again. I won't say how, because I don't think it's my place as a listener to decide that. I want them to surprise the fuck out of me.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 10:00 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'd like them to play whatever they feel like doing.

that said, this last album was more about exploring vocal melodies, i think that, having touched that area, and taking into account that both thurston and lee are going to explore similar sounds on their forthcoming solo albums, they would get more into the music rather than the vocals, extending things up.

and, personally, i would like to see them explore something they have never done before. bring the experimental vibe on.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 05:46 AM   #9
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
like Murray Street. Not as polished as they sound now.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 05:52 AM   #10
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Something almost classical - One 80 minute instrumental piece, not improvised, moving through various phases and musical types to make a symphonic whole.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 06:06 AM   #11
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
NYC Ghosts And Flowers drony, partial improvised w/ lyrics by lee and w/ Jim O'Rourke's power electronics.
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 09:21 AM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
sonic o)))

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 09:29 AM   #13
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
You've got the band rehersing Daydream Nation right now with that material so fresh+new pieces might work in sync with that album or maybe be a complete riot against such long pieces or no take at all. Hmmm sweet confusion.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 10:40 AM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hm well mirror/dash played acoustic guitars when i saw them. so i think it's not farfetched. though it was mostly feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
sonic o)))

ha ha that would be kinda cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Something almost classical - One 80 minute instrumental piece, not improvised, moving through various phases and musical types to make a symphonic whole.

i think they used to call that "emerson lake & palmer"
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 10:49 AM   #15
michael-ebers
empty page

michael-ebers has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hm well mirror/dash played acoustic guitars when i saw them. so i think it's not farfetched. though it was mostly feedback.

ha ha that would be kinda cool

i think they used to call that "emerson lake & palmer"

More lee songs! like "genetic kiss" or "karen revisited", another "diamond sea" and some kim songs in the tradition of "the sprawl" or "dude ranch nurse". but actually, i love every album and i canīt believe that the would release a record that sucks!
michael-ebers is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:19 AM   #16
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
You've got the band rehersing Daydream Nation right now with that material so fresh+new pieces might work in sync with that album or maybe be a complete riot against such long pieces or no take at all. Hmmm sweet confusion.

thats true, them re-touring that album might make the music they are currently writing more like DDN songs??? It might.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 02:19 PM   #17
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
It would be cool for them to do another album thats a continuous piece, like BMR, but with a more soundscapey sound like Murray Street/Daydream Nation... I also want more lee songs!!! He's not done enough recently. Also, much dirtier production than on Rather Ripped, more crunchy and fuzzy. And an increase in noise levels. But really I don't care cos they will make a brilliant album whatever happens.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:22 PM   #18
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but he is doing other projects though. Thurston New Album is coming out too.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:31 PM   #19
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I just need to get the SYR stuff and other crap. Yeah Lee is doing some crap, but don't know when he will be releasing his solo stuff.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:48 PM   #20
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
I'd just like them to try something different because I find Sonic Nurse & Rather Ripped, a little too similar.

Over the years, I always felt there was a definite leap in sound between any two back to back Sonic Youth albums; i.e. Sister & Daydream Nation, or, A Thousand Leaves & Murray Street.

Obviously those kind of leaps are damn hard for any band to sustain for a 25+ year period.

Really though, once they continue releasing quality new material I'm happy. Personally, I reckon the band going back through the Daydream Nation era recordings will have positive dividends for the next record....

We'll see

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth