Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Soundgarden Album?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2009, 11:29 AM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Last week, Cornell spoke to Rolling Stone about Michael Jackson’s influence on a generation of rockers, and told us Soungarden have been talking — not about touring or recording, but about the band’s legacy. “The only thing that we have talked about is trying to put together an album of B sides and maybe a box set with some unreleased tracks we have,” Cornell says. “This is something we first talked about 10 years ago. We all feel it’s time to do that, and we have a lot of fans out there, and we have a lot of new fans discovering our music, and I think the catalog and the legacy of the band has been ignored by the record label and previous management, so we decided to get together, and start working towards putting something like that out.”

Cornell was steadfast in his denial that a tour would be happening this time next year, adding that such talk has been nonexistent. His main Soundgarden-related focus? Getting those B sides out. “We did so many B sides, and we were always miffed by the concept that the largest part of our audience was in the U.S., and yet, we were always churning out B sides for other territories, so they would buy the local release instead of the import. That’s what I am the most excited about, to get that collection out so every one knows its there and has access to it. I think a box set would be good, too.”

While Cornell — whose rockier Howard Benson remix of Scream track “Long Gone” is still going strong — has often said that he likes the way Soundgarden left things off, at their height and before the music started sounding forced, nowadays, he seems to be singing a slightly different tune. “I’ve always said nothing is impossible,” he explains. “I never wanted to be one of those people who tries to predict the future. I don’t want to know what I will be doing two years, five years from now. I want to be open to anything, but nothing has changed in terms of our attitude toward it. It takes somebody to really stand up and say, ‘We should do this, we have to go do this, let’s go do this,’ and so far, no one has raised their hand to do that. Still, it’s not impossible.”
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 04:50 PM   #2
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Plz no thanx
Old 07.11.2009, 06:10 PM   #3
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
no, god. no.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
If they must release something, a b-side collection would be better than anything new to be sure. How sad he thinks they stopped before the music "started sounding forced".
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 07:00 PM   #5
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Cornell is such a fucking asshat.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 08:42 PM   #6
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Cornell — whose rockier Howard Benson remix of Scream track “Long Gone” is still going strong — has often said that he likes the way Soundgarden left things off, at their height and before the music started sounding forced

Ho ho.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 10:36 PM   #7
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Never knew there was such disdain for the band on here, cant see why. Soundgarden were one of the more creative bands of the whole grunge groups and evolved with each record. Even Down on the Upside was good, pretty noose, burden in my hand, ty cobb and blow up the outside world were way better than ANYTHING on tv or radio nowadays. This "forced" accusation is bullshit.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 10:40 PM   #8
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I don't have any disdain for Soundgarden. Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are fine albums and Kim Thayil is a pretty great guitarist. I just think Cornell is a dickhead.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 11:26 PM   #9
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Soundgarden, like Alice In Chains and to a much lesser degree Pearl Jam, was a great band whose sound has been pirated by mediocre "modern rockers".

I hope they do get back together again. Alice In Chains have a new album on the way (first person to say they should change their name because Layne Staley's dead like all the twats on YouTube gets neg rep), so it'd be great for Soundgarden to come back too, and show all the Nickelbacks and Puddles of Mudd of the world how it's done.

Alice in Chains/Soundgarden world tour FTW
Old 07.12.2009, 05:39 AM   #10
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss

(first person to say they should change their name because Layne Staley's dead like all the twats on YouTube gets neg rep),

alice in chains should change their name because layne staley is dead.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2009, 07:33 AM   #11
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Alice in Chains should just fuck off and hope the world forgets that they ever existed.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
Alice in Chains should just fuck off and hope the world forgets that they ever existed.

Yep. Like take a leaf out of Layne's book.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i can't think of something more horrible.

alice "we're better without layne" in chains and soundgarden with chris "and now to get your groove on, a special timbaland remix of 'spoonman' featuring nelly furtado...kim, stop glaring at me!! remember, if you punch me you don't get paid" cornell.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i can't think of something more horrible.

alice "we're better without layne" in chains and soundgarden with chris "and now to get your groove on, a special timbaland remix of 'spoonman' featuring nelly furtado...kim, stop glaring at me!! remember, if you punch me you don't get paid" cornell.

Yeah, what he said. I loved both bands when I saw them in tiny clubs in Seattle before they got in the hands of big record producers who made them into overblown shit.

I remember hearing Soundgarden on KCMU's local music show in '86 and they played a couple songs that they said influenced them at the time, and they were a Chrome and a Meat Puppets tune off of II. The original tunes they were playing in those days showed those kind of influences too.

Alice on the other hand had been a butt rock band before they discovered what Green River and the like were doing and started doing cooler stuff. But they still put on a great sweaty metal/punk/pop hybrid show before the word "grunge" had stuck and all the songs on Facelift were way better in the club than when the lame slowed down and digitally pumped up album finally came out and made them superstars.

I know I suck for the "I saw them when they were good and now they suck" attitude, but the fact is, it's true. Mudhoney at least put out a few good records that got national recognition (though their major label output wasn't great either, it was at least more boring than overdone).

Get hold of the Deep Six compilation. The "Seattle Sound" was fairly represented on that. Buy the Solid Action comp by the U-men who were the best Seattle band ever. Green River's output is decent too, though always a shadow of what they were like live when Mark was tripping his brains out and rolling around in the crowd like the child of Iggy that even Iggy says he was. The best major label album by a Seattle band, Nirvana excepted of course, is probably by Heart.
Old 07.13.2009, 09:45 AM   #15
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
hendrix murders heart (and soundgarden).

Oh, I agree, but Hendrix never released an album as a Seattle act. Of course Seattle doesn't draw attention to that, but he more than had to leave to get recognized.
Old 07.13.2009, 12:48 PM   #16
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Yeah, what he said. I loved both bands when I saw them in tiny clubs in Seattle before they got in the hands of big record producers who made them into overblown shit.

I remember hearing Soundgarden on KCMU's local music show in '86 and they played a couple songs that they said influenced them at the time, and they were a Chrome and a Meat Puppets tune off of II. The original tunes they were playing in those days showed those kind of influences too.

Alice on the other hand had been a butt rock band before they discovered what Green River and the like were doing and started doing cooler stuff. But they still put on a great sweaty metal/punk/pop hybrid show before the word "grunge" had stuck and all the songs on Facelift were way better in the club than when the lame slowed down and digitally pumped up album finally came out and made them superstars.

I know I suck for the "I saw them when they were good and now they suck" attitude, but the fact is, it's true. Mudhoney at least put out a few good records that got national recognition (though their major label output wasn't great either, it was at least more boring than overdone).

Get hold of the Deep Six compilation. The "Seattle Sound" was fairly represented on that. Buy the Solid Action comp by the U-men who were the best Seattle band ever. Green River's output is decent too, though always a shadow of what they were like live when Mark was tripping his brains out and rolling around in the crowd like the child of Iggy that even Iggy says he was. The best major label album by a Seattle band, Nirvana excepted of course, is probably by Heart.

Whatever, dude...I'm of the age where hearing "Would?" and "Outshined" on the radio (actually I first heard that song and "Rusty Cage" in Road Rash for PSX) affected me pretty deeply.

I do have a CD compiled by Charles Peterson that came with his Screaming Life book. It has Green River, Tad, and an early Soundgarden song called "Entering"...
Old 07.13.2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Whatever, dude...I'm of the age where hearing "Would?" and "Outshined" on the radio (actually I first heard that song and "Rusty Cage" in Road Rash for PSX) affected me pretty deeply.

Sure, I feel the same way about "Don't Stop Believing" and "Juke Box Hero". However, I won't try to claim those are examples of good music...
Old 07.13.2009, 09:51 PM   #18
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
this is potentially awesome news.

other than that, i wish chris would just shut up. 97 percent of everything hes done since SG has been total shit. he'll be remembered as being a member of SG before anything else, and probally after all his post-SG material has been long forgotten.

i dont know much about this "music sounding forced" business...unless, of course, hes stating that they just werent enjoying themselves anymore and wanted to end it before releasing something that would have amounted to garbage...but fuck, ive always felt SG were one of the best bands to come out of that scene.

they get a bad rep...im not sure why. probally because chris had to go off and become a fuck-tard.

im convinced that most people that talk shit havent really listened to their body of work...they were totallllllly one band that understood the need to "evolve".

their influences were all over the place. a little zep, a little punk, metal, noise, drone, eastern vibes....it was all there. totallllllly a band routed in experimentation if there was ever such a thing

i like them more than dinosaur or the pixies. haha....how is that for an unpopular opinion.

kim thayil was amazing. i still say he needs to do something other than the occasional collaborative stuff. i know this guy could do a noisy/droney/weird rock album that would totally kill.

i miss kim

i agree
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth