Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums in the 2000s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2008, 12:09 PM   #41
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Too many to name.
This.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 12:27 PM   #42
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You should be heavily taxed for saying that.

I am already heavily taxed.
most americans pay more than 40% of their income in taxes, when you add up sales taxes, income taxes, property taxes, luxury taxes, etc.
Old 06.26.2008, 12:32 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
there is no way to judge the "classic"ness of an album until a good amount of time has passed.

for example, the first violent femems album, loved by nearly all people who hears it while they were/are teenagers, and arguably a classic in underground american rock, took over 20 years to go gold, to sell 500,000 units.
. some things are not appreciated in their time, and others, like BAD BRAIN's Black Dot, are loved as the clasic they are by just a few thousand people, who then go on to spread the word and form their own bands and write music influenced by the album, thereby cementing that album's place in the miasma that is pop music history

Slint Spiderland is a more recent example.

all we can do now is take guesses at which albums of the last 8 years will be so influential and so valued by the music fans/us.

but I can guarantee you it will NOT be any fucking animal collective album!
Old 06.26.2008, 12:34 PM   #44
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
most americans pay more than 40% of their income in taxes, when you add up sales taxes, income taxes, property taxes, luxury taxes, etc.
not me!
Old 06.26.2008, 12:35 PM   #45
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
there is no way to judge the "classic"ness of an album until a good amount of time has passed.

for example, the first violent femems album, loved by nearly all people who hears it while they were/are teenagers, and arguably a classic in underground american rock, took over 20 years to go gold, to sell 500,000 units.
. some things are not appreciated in their time, and others, like BAD BRAIN's Black Dot, are loved as the clasic they are by just a few thousand people, who then go on to spread the word and form their own bands and write music influenced by the album, thereby cementing that album's place in the miasma that is pop music history

Slint Spiderland is a more recent example.

all we can do now is take guesses at which albums of the last 8 years will be so influential and so valued by the music fans/us.

but I can guarantee you it will NOT be any fucking animal collective album!
Repped for exactness.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 12:37 PM   #46
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"instant classic".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 12:39 PM   #47
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Rob really hit the nail on the head.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 12:58 PM   #48
sarramkrop

Quote:

Why are you telling me this?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:13 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Why are you telling me this?

because I deeply care about sharing all my intimacies with you, since you are the godhead, you are the alpha and the omega, you are the king of kings, the lord of lords, and I cannot stand it when you shun me.
Old 06.26.2008, 01:13 PM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
rep fight.

Old 06.26.2008, 01:22 PM   #51
sarramkrop

Quote:
because I deeply care about sharing all my intimacies with you, since you are the godhead, you are the alpha and the omega, you are the king of kings, the lord of lords, and I cannot stand it when you shun me.

I feel slighly violated by your post, Rob.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:26 PM   #52
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
This thread doesn't really seem to be about classic albums, just albums that people who are way into music (which most of this board is made of) will hold in high esteem. Maybe, "personally classic" albums.

Classic albums are going to be pop. The White Stripes and Franz Ferdinand probably won't be, because as famous as they are they feel a lot like a fad. But Year Zero (NIN) has a good chance, In Rainbows and Kid A (Radiohead) are probably going to be, Graduation (Kanye West) is pretty much guarenteed. Beyond that it's very hard to tell right now, but if by "classic" you mean CDs that most people will still listen to in 30 years, it won't be Animal Collective. Or Xiu Xiu. In the broader spectrum of things, not many people listen to them now.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:28 PM   #53
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
I feel slighly violated by your post, Rob.

that is how I feel when I listen to xiu xiu full blast, like I got mind raped.
it is a great feeling actually. I love to have my mind blown.
Old 06.26.2008, 01:29 PM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
This thread doesn't really seem to be about classic albums, just albums that people who are way into music (which most of this board is made of) will hold in high esteem. Maybe, "personally classic" albums.

Classic albums are going to be pop. The White Stripes and Franz Ferdinand probably won't be, because as famous as they are they feel a lot like a fad. But Year Zero (NIN) has a good chance, In Rainbows and Kid A (Radiohead) are probably going to be, Graduation (Kanye West) is pretty much guarenteed. Beyond that it's very hard to tell right now, but if by "classic" you mean CDs that most people will still listen to in 30 years, it won't be Animal Collective. Or Xiu Xiu. In the broader spectrum of things, not many people listen to them now.

I think that the only classic album by NIN will be preety hate machine, for it started their whole bullshit.
the other ones are just as valued by fans, but in the mass consciousness, it is pretty hate machine.
Old 06.26.2008, 01:33 PM   #55
sarramkrop

I find it much more interesting to discover that albums that are too soon deemed 'classic' influence legions of shite bands than wasting my time and energy deciding the ones that will be or won't be.

It's much easier to tell a band that has a future than being precise about the scope of (good or bad) influence that a record might have on other bands in the future. I find it also perversely amusing to read narrow-minded people so keen on pointless speculation.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:33 PM   #56
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think that the only classic album by NIN will be preety hate machine, for it started their whole bullshit.
the other ones are just as valued by fans, but in the mass consciousness, it is pretty hate machine.
Quality-wise, yeah. I think Downward Spiral will, too, because it revolutionized texture in pop. But now that I think about it, you're right. Nothing recent will at all.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:33 PM   #57
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

kanye west? uh...

And yeah no one's going to remember xiu xiu.

Old 06.26.2008, 01:36 PM   #58
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Either Jay Z's the blue print or the black album
One of those will be known as one of the best rap albums of all time.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:38 PM   #59
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Quality-wise, yeah. I think Downward Spiral will, too, because it revolutionized texture in pop.

What the fuck does that mean?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:38 PM   #60
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Hahah.

I think he means "it has interesting production".

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth