Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Quitting smoking
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2016, 12:23 PM   #21
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ how did he quit with cinnamon sticks?

YOU GOT THIS EVOLLOVE! BECAUSE I GOT THIS TOO!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2016, 12:45 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
depending on how much and how long you've been smoking, it takes 2-3 weeks for the acute cravings to cease.

having said that, being a smoker is like being catholic-- it never completely leaves you. i will always want to smoke. in emergencies, i still do.

but the only way to really kick it is cold turkey (even if you eventually rejoin the church). everythin else is faffing around pretending. cigarettes are super addictive so having them handy will make sure you don't quit. yes, you might need to reduce a bit at first but soon you will have to leap.

my own crucial technique was to breathe deeply when the cravings kicked. because cigarettes are both stimulating and calming, i induce physical calm with a series of deep breaths. for the stimulation, there's caffeine.

this is a tactical move, not a strategic one. you have to apply it on the spot.

as for larger strategies:

1) don't try to go on a diet at the same time, ha ha ha.

2) you're gonna eat more so try to eat healthy (i know you're vegetarian but so are doritos)

3) you might have to take some vacation days to deal with the brutal shift in mood, concentration, etc., until your brain rewires itself.

4) might be good sto start a little exercise at the same time. the difficulty breathing will be a good reminder/inducement to stick to your plan. running or swimming will tax the shit out of your lungs and give you something to work for. and the endorphins and dopamine will compensate somewhat for the lost pleasures of tobacco.

5) there will be some trigger behaviors/situations that will make you want to smoke more. for me it was coffee (it's gold with a smoke) and drinking (i smoked a whole pack or more during a night of drinking). so you gotta be mindful iat those moments, but don't quit coffee at the same time because it will induce a black depression. eat a pastry instead (you will get fat, work on that later).

6) pain is mandatory but suffering is optional.

7) through all this remember the breathing thing. to me, it made all the difference in interrupting the addiction loop whenever it kicked. a craving is basically a minor anxiety attack that demands quelling.

eta: wellbutrin? if it's serious and you can't take a 3-week vacation. great to keep your dopamine UP. and your insurance might cover it. the antismoke version i think is labeled XL or something similar.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2016, 01:42 PM   #23
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ damn...nice to see you again ho.

I guess this is a bad time to quit smoking....I just entered a weight loss contest at work....
Old 04.15.2016, 02:05 PM   #24
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I guess this is a bad time to quit smoking....I just entered a weight loss contest at work....

Funny, I just dropped a hundred bucks at the grocery store. But it's all organic. I'm still not getting the urge to pig out on shitty food.

Quote:

I concur.

Everything was really useful, but I'm pretending this isn't true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

having said that, being a smoker is like being catholic-- it never completely leaves you. i will always want to smoke. in emergencies, i still do.

because I'm finding the chant "I am not a smoker, therefore I do not smoke" to be a help.

Also exercise. I took a walk in the park and met the charismatic leader of a group of kind, spiritual people. I spoke with them for quite a long time and came to understand the god Lugar is in eternal conflict with his adopted brother Phylic, and we humans are stuck in the middle. No wonder life is chaos! He convinced me to simplify my existence by giving away my possessions. To him. And build character by working on a farm. His. I know I haven't been myself today, but I really do feel I've found my life's purpose. Way to go, exercise!
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2016, 03:40 PM   #25
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Also exercise. I took a walk in the park and met the charismatic leader of a group of kind, spiritual people. I spoke with them for quite a long time and came to understand the god Lugar is in eternal conflict with his adopted brother Phylic, and we humans are stuck in the middle. No wonder life is chaos! He convinced me to simplify my existence by giving away my possessions. To him. And build character by working on a farm. His. I know I haven't been myself today, but I really do feel I've found my life's purpose. Way to go, exercise!

Dood...yer just quitting smoking....not joining a cult.
Old 04.15.2016, 04:14 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Dood...yer just quitting smoking....not joining a cult.
Apparently he is doing both

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2016, 04:47 PM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

thanks. you too.

yeah, smoking in large amounts helps to eat less

not that there aren't fat smokers, but most people who quit smoking add some pounds. it's not just the oral fixation thing but i think nicotine nausea suppresses hunger and who knows what else.

Quote:
Funny, I just dropped a hundred bucks at the grocery store. But it's all organic. I'm still not getting the urge to pig out on shitty food.

I concur.

Everything was really useful, but I'm pretending this isn't true:

because I'm finding the chant "I am not a smoker, therefore I do not smoke" to be a help.

ha ha ha. american parks are magnets for the insane. not sure why. tell him you already sided with ahura mazda and your name isn't martha, macy, may or marlene.

about the exericse-- just don't get a heart attack or something. easy does it. you can't make exercise a habit if you get injured.

and if the chant works for you keep doing it by all means. you have to be ruthless in your decision, and identity is a powerful motivator.
Old 04.15.2016, 07:42 PM   #28
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Almost everyone who quite smoking gains weight. Same is true of just about every kind of addict there is. Except for maybe the "beer only" alcoholic... s/he tends to lose a bit of pudge.

I have to admit, I don't actually think I have it in me to quit completely. When things are going well, I feel less of a need to smoke, and usually come very close to quitting entirely. But when things inevitably get worse again (last time I was unemployed, for instance) I said fuck it and smoked all the time. When my grandmother died, same deal. When my mom got sick, I lit up. I don't think I'm a very stable person in general, so when things get bad in my life it's very easy for me to go back to old crutches.

Probably not a great sign.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2016, 08:18 PM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Got to quit sev. There are two types of smokers. Those who quit. And those who die.

Old 04.16.2016, 08:27 AM   #30
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I used the patch & it worked for me, finally! It was really difficult, I was in a bad mood for weeks. It was the smartest thing I've ever done! One thing that helped me a lot was riding my bike, slowly rebuilding lungs & heart, plus keeps your mind focused on something else & helps mitigate the inevitable weight gain
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2016, 09:12 PM   #31
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
If looking for motivation, go hang out at the entrance of a hospital near the parking lot. You will see numerous people who are undergoing various treatments dragging their IV poles outside so they can take a drag. Some have family members roll them out in their wheelchairs......people suffering cancer and undergoing treatment and are still doing all they can for another cigarette.

I'm blessed to have never suffered nicotine cravings. I applaud your efforts and trust that you will take care of you......Sonic Love!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2016, 12:51 PM   #32
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha. american parks are magnets for the insane. not sure why. .

because there is no place else to go. People are expendable in the US. Don't forget it. Human life has no value here.

Smoking sucks but since we're all going to die horribly anyway in the next 20 years, I'm not sure its worth getting too worried about. Besides the fact that Fukushima has been dumping raidation into the environment for 5 years now, and now plans a massive tritium dump (The amount of tritium considered for potential release would be about 3.4 peta becquerels.) Also, it turns out natural gas is worse for the environment than burning coal could ever be because the whole system leaks at a rate of about 3-5% which is more devastating for the ozone layer and climate change. 3-5% (this is just a corporate estimate, it is certainly much greater) of all natural gas whether frakked or harvested otherwise leaks into the environment.

Also, its just a matter of time before some GMO goes wild from some big pharma lab. What was that live virus that was shipped in the vaccine a couple years ago and was only caught by accident thanks to an overachieving researcher.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2016, 01:50 PM   #33
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
because there is no place else to go. People are expendable in the US. Don't forget it. Human life has no value here.

Smoking sucks but since we're all going to die horribly anyway in the next 20 years, I'm not sure its worth getting too worried about. Besides the fact that Fukushima has been dumping raidation into the environment for 5 years now, and now plans a massive tritium dump (The amount of tritium considered for potential release would be about 3.4 peta becquerels.) Also, it turns out natural gas is worse for the environment than burning coal could ever be because the whole system leaks at a rate of about 3-5% which is more devastating for the ozone layer and climate change. 3-5% (this is just a corporate estimate, it is certainly much greater) of all natural gas whether frakked or harvested otherwise leaks into the environment.

Also, its just a matter of time before some GMO goes wild from some big pharma lab. What was that live virus that was shipped in the vaccine a couple years ago and was only caught by accident thanks to an overachieving researcher.
Hang out in an ICU ward at your local hospital then get back to us about if you still think smoking is worth the risk.

Old 04.19.2016, 06:36 AM   #34
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I just woke up to Day 5 smoke-free. Day 2 was harder than day 1, but I have to say, this is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I'm not sure why this is so, and I'm waiting for it to really start sucking, but so far I seem to have the upper hand. I'm as shocked as anyone.

Some observations:

--Everyone's path is different. What works for me might not for others. My secret? A bit of pot, tons of food, breathing exercises and repeating over and over, "I am not a smoker. I don't smoke." But I can see how this could be a recipe for failure for someone else.

So if Evolghost has fallen, no shame. It's just that the right method has yet to be discovered.

--A history of depression, anxiety and mild psychosis has been a great help. There's no withdrawal symptom that has been at all surprising. "Yeah, yeah. Been there. Felt that. What else you got? Because right now you're boring me."

--A craving is an event. It has a beginning, middle and end. It's not a permanent state of being. And they really don't last very long.

--Coffee is a major trigger. Need to cut down. That'll suck a lot. Man, I love coffee. Mornings in general are the most difficult part of the day.

--Reading is a trigger! That caught me off guard. But now that I think about it, I always used to read with an ashtray, lighter, and some cigs by my side. Reading makes me want to smoke more than driving does. Crazy.

--I'm getting too confident, and I need to watch out for the "Well, I got this under control, so I can have just one" type of thinking.

But then, I'm not a smoker. I do not smoke. So why would I even want one?
Old 04.19.2016, 08:02 AM   #35
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

--Coffee is a major trigger. Need to cut down. That'll suck a lot. Man, I love coffee. Mornings in general are the most difficult part of the day.

A friend of mine who was also seeking to quit smoking switched to decaf. That worked for him, but mostly because what started as a need for an AM stimulant for him turned into a love of the taste of coffee. Like you said, everyone has their own path, but it might work for you as well.

As a complete aside: this same friend is the attorney who sued the band Suede on behalf of his client, a lounge singer with the same name. So any fans of the band on this board can feel free to hate him. He won't give a rat's ass
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2016, 03:59 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

congrats on the progress and finding what works for you.

yes it gets easier as days go by but remember the acute phase of your withdrawal is still in progress. people used to say 3 weeks. i had it last only 2 weeks. for some it might be more.

i also forgot to post this the other day: chewing gum, because it's actually a repetitive exercise, increases serotonin in the brain. if you have dental issues this might be a problem, but if a sugarless gum is something you can handle, it might be a good substitution for things like reading and driving, actually.

eg

http://www.livescience.com/17520-che...rformance.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rtness-10.html

plus, if you need the caffeine as a drug without the smoke trigger, there's caffeinated gum for a one-stop stimulant shop.
Old 04.20.2016, 06:55 AM   #37
evollove
invito al cielo

I think it's funny that the first caffeine gum I came across advertised itself as "military grade." I just need to get my bowels moving, not march to Berlin.

Anyway, I haven't even wept one time. If this is as bad as it gets, I think I've got it under control. I have no way to explain my ease, and I'm sure I sound very obnoxious to anyone who's ever tried to slay this dragon. The last time I tried to quit was about a decade ago, and I came close to slashing my wrists. I have no idea what sort of maturity I acquired since then. Wish I did so I could sell it to others.
Old 04.20.2016, 10:03 AM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

coffee was THE choice beverage of the carnage known as the american civil war, so i'm not in the least surprised about caffeine gum on apache helicopters.

also in israel everyone drinks coffee all the time-- perpetual war requires perpetual alertness. chik-chak, chik-chak!

did you ever read "food of the gods"? terence mckenna argued that coffee and sugar fueled modern capitalism and the industrial era. i believed him, still do.
Old 04.20.2016, 10:38 AM   #39
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

I could go for a big ass cup right noW!
Old 04.21.2016, 10:07 PM   #40
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think it's funny that the first caffeine gum I came across advertised itself as "military grade." I just need to get my bowels moving, not march to Berlin.

Hah! I get this. Indeed, one of the main reasons I continue to smoke, even if it's only 2/day, is to maintain some control over my metabolism. I hate public bathrooms, so it's easy for me to go all day without smoking. But after dinner, when I'm home, I feel like a boss when I can literally bully my colon into doing its thing.

But I've been smoking for so long that I'm pretty goddamn sure cancer is somewhere in my future. I don't want that. I really fucking don't. And I want to quit for good.

Maybe I need to join a support group or something.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth