Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Videogame Scores
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2009, 05:27 PM   #21
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

pop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's asses
A few of my fav OST's: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shenmue, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Chrono Trigger and Castlevania III.
Old 02.04.2009, 12:17 AM   #22
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
For real! I love the 'safe place' music that plays when you find a save room.

My faves are in the Factory, and the S.T.A.R.S. Office.

My one keyboard has a pretty good tubular bell sound and I've been trying to play the theme when you first enter the Police Station.

The music that plays when you encounter that big guy in the 2nd quest really hightens the intensity when he appears. First time I heard it/ran into him, it scared the hell outta me...
Old 02.04.2009, 01:52 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop punk will eat itself
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Totally forgot about those. Fucking AWESOME soundtracks.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 02:02 AM   #24
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
For real! I love the 'safe place' music that plays when you find a save room.

RE4 had some awesome music to it too. and the 'safe place' theme in that game was definitely a great tune. it sort of gives off that "you're safe.. for now" vibe.

i'm surprised no one mentioned Silent Hill. especially since we all listen to sonic youth. the first game definitely had some great tunes. Akira Yamaoka knows how to fucking set a mood.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 02:22 AM   #25
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, hell yeah. Silent Hill's soundtracks all kick ass. Especially 4.

3 was a little subpar, though, now that I think about it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 02:49 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't care for the Silent Hill games themselves, but the soundtracks by Akira Yamaoka are excellent. Beautiful and haunting guitar melodies, lots of white noise, and a very Badalamenti-esque vibe to his compositions.

For Silent Hill 2, he recorded over 200 different sounds of footsteps!

Old 02.04.2009, 04:55 AM   #27
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I've said this before:
System Shock 1
International Karate (Atari 800 version)
Diablo 1 title song
Fallout 2 has got some neat ambient tunes here and there

Anyways, I've never played any of the Silent Hill series, but been meaning to for a long time.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2009, 05:57 AM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

They're pretty boring games... stupid puzzles, retarded combat, and most of the games involve you running around in the fog. Fortunately, the atmosphere and the music are amazing and the storylines are disturbing. Only played 1-3, but they all sucked. 2 was the best of the bunch though, easily.

Old 02.05.2009, 09:02 AM   #29
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
im up to 258 on bowling on the wii!
Old 02.05.2009, 04:54 PM   #30
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
They're pretty boring games... stupid puzzles, retarded combat, and most of the games involve you running around in the fog. Fortunately, the atmosphere and the music are amazing and the storylines are disturbing. Only played 1-3, but they all sucked. 2 was the best of the bunch though, easily.

no way are they boring, man. just walking around when the town turns all hellish is completely entertaining. and it has seriously given me more jumps than any other game i've played.

i think them justifying the bad combat system by saying that the characters you play in the story are suppose to suck at aiming - is funny. scared the shit out of me whenever i saw a huge fucking piece of shit sucking monster thing chasing after me and i couldn't even shoot it!
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 04:59 PM   #31
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I can see SH being boring if you're not prone to being frightened (by whatever method the series uses). I am, and it's probably the main reason I like the series, in addition to the freaky-ass designs. It is just not scary to a lot of people. Especially anyone who has played the way-fucking-scarier Fatal Frame series.

Also, I think the combat system is great. Rather complex, but completely hidden.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 05:05 PM   #32
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
best videogame music ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZX2N9_7NO8
gives me chills
overall metroid soundtracks are the bests i'd say
other than that, most videogames music i like for nostalgic reasons - like sonic 1 musics! scrap brain, green hill... those always remind me of my childhood, when i used to play them when i went at my grandma's for holidays.

kind of off topic, but if anyone wants danceable chiptune music, get truckasauras' album, it's amazing
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 06:11 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Fatal Frame >x1000 over Silent Hill.

Old 02.05.2009, 06:11 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

And yeah syrfox, if you don't have it, search for the super metroid "sound in action" or whatever soundtrack. It's all the music from metroid 1, 2, and super metroid and some orchestral recordings of super metroid songs on one cd. Essential.

Old 05.09.2009, 01:27 PM   #35
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought that Rare was a very underrated game company in terms of music. All their games have had amazing music attached to them.

Listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F72GxAcbntQ
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 01:40 PM   #36
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I can't vouch for most of the Mega Man X series, having only played the first game, but there's not really a forgettable song in that whole game. Better than Mega Man 2's soundtrack I think.

Let's see.. Final Fantasy 7 has a great soundtrack. Only good part of the game imo. I love the music to Secret of Mana too. Really anything Koji Kondo does is nice.

I think video game music is a funny thing, I can imagine the composers must be under different restraints from normal songwriters, since they are writing music that is meant to be looped infinitely, so it has to be REALLY good music for them to consider it, I would think. Just the idea that these are all actually very short songs, but can hold up to repeated listening and not grate on your nerves, I think that's what makes a good video game song.

Edit: I agree with Derek 100%, David Wise is a fucking genius. Rare's games have some of the best video game music thanks to him.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 01:42 PM   #37
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
And yeah syrfox, if you don't have it, search for the super metroid "sound in action" or whatever soundtrack. It's all the music from metroid 1, 2, and super metroid and some orchestral recordings of super metroid songs on one cd. Essential.
i'll check that. though i must admit that even if the soundtracks from the first metroid games are mindblowing, those from the metroid prime games sound even better to me. they're really fantastic, totally immersive stuff. i've already said it before a lot of time, but that theme from the underwater torvus temple in metroid prime 2 is probably my favorite video game music ever.

--

this thread actually me reminded me that when i was a kid, i used to go to my grandma's house on holidays (i lived 1000km from her home at the time, now i moved on and i live near her), and my uncles were still living there, so i used to play the sonic games on megadrive there, and i loved the soundtracks (still do!), especially the one from the scrap brain zone (still do too!). and so i tried to note the melody from it on a paper, so that i'll be able to remember it in the future; a few years later, i found the paper back under my bed and it was like "ta ta ta tu tu ti ta ta ta tu" - i still laugh at it. good memories
Old 05.09.2009, 01:43 PM   #38
SYRFox
invito al cielo

by the way summer, nil is one of the greatest pieces of electronic music ever recorded.
Old 05.09.2009, 01:47 PM   #39
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I love Amber in general, it's a great album. Also, I love how you call it a Megadrive. Why did Americans have to call it a Genesis. Both names are cool, but.. Megadrive just sounds so badass for some reason.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 02:03 PM   #40
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
I love Amber in general, it's a great album.
Yes. In my top 5 of all time, actually - though mostly for personal reasons: it's the album that got me into electronic music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
Also, I love how you call it a Megadrive. Why did Americans have to call it a Genesis. Both names are cool, but.. Megadrive just sounds so badass for some reason.
Yeah, Megadrive sounds really cool.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth