Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page jandek - skirting the edge===best album of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.27.2009, 12:15 PM   #21
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Curious, is this an '08 or '09 release? RYM has it listed as '08.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 12:21 PM   #22
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
It's 2008 apparently.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 12:25 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
What is the name of the Jandek documentary?

I will have to buy this album, since I can't download it at work, and my computer at home has crashed. Still, Jandek is one of the guys I would like to support.

Jandek on Corwood. Not the best documentary ever, but probably worth a squizz. Downloading this new 'un now, because I'm the sort of shit that downloads in print records sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 01:28 PM   #24
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I have no moral dilemma with that, but I simply do not have the option now. I was just mentioning that about supporting him because even in my heyday of downloading music, when I downloaded almost everything I owned, in print or not, I would still buy an album here and there so I could tell myself I wasn't a horrible person and hope to get some sleep at night.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 02:13 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The downloading comment wasn't directed towards anything other than my own faint sense of e-misanthropy.*

Jandek appears to have bought some new microphones, bought some new strings and become a tiny bit more verbose. It's funny how these tiny, tiny changes seem massive in the context of Jandek.

*The other chice was 'cybersanthropy'; I'm including both for posterity.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.27.2009, 02:17 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Since you like this so much you should post links to Jandek's ordering address so he can make a little money you know...

http://tisue.net/jandek/ordering.html

from Corwood

As the catalog (see below) says:
cd disc $8.00
20 or more any mix 50% discount
prepaid only shipping paid by corwood
international orders add 10%* 2 disc cd $12.00 ** dvd disc $16.00 *** box set $20.00
Single CD’s cost $8. Corwoods 0779, 0783, 0785, 0786, and 0788 are available in both CD and DVD editions; a DVD costs $16. (0788 is a double DVD but is priced like a single.) Corwoods 0783, 0785, 0786, and 0788 are double CD’s; they cost $12. Corwood 0789 is a four-CD set; it costs $20.
All of these prices are cut in half if you order a box of 20 or more items. This can include any combination of titles and quantities that you want. A multi-disc set counts as one item.
Send orders (and make checks payable) to

Corwood Industries, P.O. Box 15375, Houston TX 77220.

Corwood does not have a website or E-mail address, but they are in the phone book. Corwood hasn’t said what acceptable payment methods for international customers are. Some customers have paid by international bank draft in U.S. dollars. Well-concealed U.S. cash is also accepted. Sending payment in non-U.S. currency is ill-advised.
Old 01.27.2009, 02:43 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Thanks Mum.

Quote:
Old 01.27.2009, 02:51 PM   #28
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah thanks!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 03:01 PM   #29
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
What is Jandek?

Officially, Jandek is not a person. Albums and live performances are credited to “Jandek”, but the man on the album covers and on stage is “a representative from Corwood Industries”. Corwood is the record label; “Jandek” is the musical project. Both are directed by the same individual. The trinity of Jandek, Corwood, and “the representative” is both three and one.
These distinctions became clear only recently, when Corwood started negotiating Jandek performances with promoters. But an early hint was that the first Jandek album was originally credited to “The Units”, a name implying a faceless collective. Even the recent live releases do not credit individual musicians.
The name of the real person behind all this is known (see below). He normally avoids using his name in connection with Corwood or Jandek, but he has never made any great secret of it, either. Written communications from Corwood are signed “Corwood” or not signed at all, and in a further distancing move, he/they normally refer(s) to himself/themselves in writing as “we” — that is, Corwood — rather than “I”.
This leaves the rest of us in a bit of a quandary how to refer to him/them/it — this Jandek thing. It’s most correct to refer to “Corwood” (and “they”), and to “the representative” or “the Corwood rep”. But it’s also still common to just go ahead and refer to Jandek as a person, using “he”. Until a few years ago, nobody knew it was wrong. I still say “Jandek” and “he” on this site sometimes just in order to avoid verbal contortions.
Some aren’t bothered by informally using his real name — including a few of the musicians he has performed with, in their published interviews. Nonetheless, it’s polite for the rest of us to avoid it in most contexts out of respect for Corwood’s apparent wishes.

*YAWN*
Old 01.27.2009, 03:13 PM   #30
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
the discography is FASCINATING.
I mean this.
What is Jandek's best work?
Old 01.27.2009, 03:15 PM   #31
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
A Chair Beside A Window is usually considered his most essential, but it's hard to say what's "best."
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 03:36 PM   #32
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Blue Corpse.

Actually I think this album COULD be his best.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 06:13 PM   #33
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I think Ready for the House is my clear-cut favorite. I like almost all of his material, actually, except for The Rocks Crumble, his spoken word stuff and a few other ones he's released this decade.

And yeah, definitely buy his albums. The record store near me has a lot of his titles marked half off, so I bought a fuckload of them a few months ago. I'm in love with the Jandek-y style artwork. It looks so awesome when you stack all of them together.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 06:24 PM   #34
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for the upload.. downloading right now...
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 09:18 PM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I always wonder why people gravitate torwards his early stuff when saying what their favorite is. There was a marked change after the 3 spoken word albums (which are amongst my favorite Jandek albums)... his music started getting more violent, raw, meaner, louder, maybe even more produced. No idea how or why. But I like the new stuff way more, even though the older stuff is arguably creepier. The most musical is definitely "Blue Corpse". My favorite is "Ruins of Adventure" or the one with the name I can't pronounce... "Kharatium" or something. It has "I Shot Myself" on it, which is my favorite Jandek song.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 12:01 AM   #36
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I started to type that I am torn about whether to download it or not because I'd rather have the solid record, but that's bullshit. I'm downloading it. I have so much Jandek to buy and I really intend to do so, but it's a slow process for me. Meanwhile I could be listening to this and playing it on the radio.

As for his "best" album, they can't really be isolated like that, I do have favorites for sure. "Ready for the House" stands against everything after it despite being the first. "Six and Six" forces me to be redundant by saying the same thing about his second album! "Living in a Moon So Blue" is perhaps my favorite of the early ones though, because it connects with me really directly, it's very direct in general (though cynical at the same time). "Chair Beside a Window" is awesome for the heavy "Nancy" influence both on "Nancy Sings" and the songs seemingly about her. "Telegraph Melts' has "Painted Your Teeth" which is just fucking brilliant. Of the '90s stuff, I love "I Woke Up" for the pure absolute fuckery (there's another male vocalist on this one, I think...) Then there are those spoken word albums. The world said he couldn't get any more primitive, so he showed them that yes he could. I absolutely fucking love those records, most especially "Worthless Recluse". Madonna only thinks she can make art out of self-parody; Jandek actually does it with the secret weapon of sincerity.

I need to catch up on the newer studio albums (I have a couple of the live ones, which are great but something else in a way). I'll start downloading now and get the ball rolling.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 12:22 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"Chair Beside a Window" is the first I ever heard; my friend bought a copy of it. I heard it a good 8 years ago at this point. It blew my mind. "worthless recluse" is my favorite of the spoken ones too. So good......

Old 01.28.2009, 12:54 AM   #38
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Chair Beside a Window" is the first I ever heard; my friend bought a copy of it. I heard it a good 8 years ago at this point. It blew my mind. "worthless recluse" is my favorite of the spoken ones too. So good......

In a way, I look at Worthless Recluse as the coda for the original Jandek who even the alternative media characterized as a "worthless recluse" so much of the time. Once he'd broken it down to that most basic level (and it's such fucking gripping listening) he really had to either stop altogether or do something as radical as it was for him to start playing live after two and a half decades without public appearances. I realize I'm completely mythologizing and that it was actually another 3 years and several albums until he started playing live, but that's just the kind of apex that record feels like!
Old 01.28.2009, 01:40 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Right, and that goes back to what I was saying; something changed after those spoken word albums... his releases started getting more...... evil or something. It's fun to read into the mythology of Jandek!

Old 01.28.2009, 02:03 AM   #40
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Right, and that goes back to what I was saying; something changed after those spoken word albums... his releases started getting more...... evil or something. It's fun to read into the mythology of Jandek!

I was about to chime in with some pathetic analogy about the shaman emerging from the cave and then suddenly I realized we were talking about Jandek and not Robert Bly and I'd more effectively quell my inner hippie by making some microwave quesadillas...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth