Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Top Albums Of The 1970's Picked By You
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2008, 01:37 PM   #81
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
and the Adverts-One Chord Wonders is my favorite track of the 70s, I just think its so perfect, Loud Surf-y guitars, amazing vocals, very unique for a Punk band. Their first record is all amazing, but damn, what an amazing track.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2008, 04:27 PM   #82
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
1. Tim Buckley - Starsailor
2. Neil Young - Tonight's the night
3. Television - Marquee moon
4. The Stooges - Fun house
5. The Rolling Stones - Sticky fingers
6. Neil Young - On the beach
7. Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson
8. David Bowie - Hunky dory
9. Pink Floyd - Meddle
10. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust never sleeps
11. Can - Future days
12. Iggy Pop - The idiot
13. David Bowie - Low
14. Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
15. Roxy Music - Stranded
16. Joy Division - Unknown pleasures
17. Franηoise Hardy - La question
18. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - My aim is true
19. Nick Drake - Pink moon
20. Tom Waits - Small Change
21. Leonard Cohen - Songs of love and hate
22. Marvin Gaye - What's going on
23. Bob Dylan - Desire
24. Bob Dylan - Blood on the tracks
25. The Beach Boys - Sunflower

(EDITED)
Old 11.06.2008, 04:59 PM   #83
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac

End of discussion.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2008, 05:20 PM   #84
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Live/Evil
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2008, 05:39 PM   #85
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
can anyone guess who number 1 will be? i think it'll either be a can album, funhouse or marquee moon.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2008, 05:57 PM   #86
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
probably Marquee Moon

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2008, 08:23 PM   #87
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
  1. Nick Drake – Pink Moon
  2. Patti Smith – Horses
  3. Tom Waits – Nighthawks at the Diner
  4. Neil Young – After The Goldrush
  5. John Cale – Paris 1919
  6. Wire – Chairs Missing
  7. Velvet Underground – Loaded
  8. Funkadelic – Maggot Brain
  9. Stooges – Fun House
  10. Nick Drake – Bryter Layter
  11. Television – Marquee Moon
  12. Neil Young – Tonight’s The Night
  13. Richard Hell & the Voidoids – Blank Generation
  14. John Cale and Terry Riley –Church Of Anthrax
  15. Miles Davis – Bitches Brew
  16. Suicide – s/t
  17. Faust – IV
  18. John Cale – Fear
  19. Soft Machine – Third
  20. David Bowie – Low
  21. John Martyn – Solid Air
  22. The Pop Group – Y
  23. Alice Coltrane – Journey To Satchidananda
  24. The Modern Lovers – s/t
  25. Stooges – Raw Power
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 12:51 AM   #88
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
1. Television - The Blow Up
2. The Saints - Eternally Yours
3. Ramones - It's Alive
4. Television - Marquee Moon
5. The Clash - London Calling
6. The Saints - Prehistoric Sounds
7. Laughing Clowns - Laughing Clowns (mini album)
8. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks...
9. Pink Floyd - The Wall
10. The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
11. Public Image Ltd - First Edition
12. The Stooges - Fun House
13. The Clash - The Clash (UK Version)
14. Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream
15. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
16. Buzzcocks - Another Music in a Different Kitchen
17. The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys
18. Can - Tago Mago
19. Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
20. The Slits - Cut
21. Ramones - Ramones
22. Ramones - Rocket to Russia
23. Gang of Four - Entertainment!
24. Public Image Ltd - Metal Box
25. New York Dolls - New York Dolls

That was difficult. And it's not my final list.
I forgot Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell, I'm going to have to redo this list.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 08:41 AM   #89
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Here it goes.....

1. Alice Cooper – Love It To Death
2. Suicide – 1st album
3. Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers
4. Big Star - #1 Record
5. The Stooges – Funhouse
6. The Ramones – Ramones
7. Black Sabbath – Master of Reality
8. Kiss – Destroyer
9. Alice Cooper – Easy Action
10. Kiss – Hotter Than Hell
11. CCR – Cosmos Factory
12. Blue Oyster Cult – Self Titled
13. Kiss – Kiss
14. Roxy Music – Roxy Music
15. Kiss – Love Gun
16. Neil Young – After the Goldrush
17. Cheap Trick – In Color
18. Neil Young – On The Beach
19. Big Star – Radio City
20. Neu – Neu
21. Dead Boys – Young Loud and Snotty
22. Custer - Soweisoso
23. Black Sabbath – Vol.4
24. The Modern Lovers – The Modern Lovers
25. Kraftwerk – Trans Europe Express
Old 11.07.2008, 09:20 AM   #90
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I think there are too many (younger) people on here who have been to too many 70s themed parties.

Alice Cooper? For fuck's sake.

There was good music around in the 70s.

And stop raiding your dad's record collections.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 09:28 AM   #91
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Too much great jazz/funk/soul music to incorporate into a top 25 all time of the 70's. One almost needs 4 lists. Rock, Jazz, Funk/Soul, Punk/No Wave. I think its fair to say there are more than enough great albums to produce 25 for each of these types of music.

I look back at mine on the first page and there are so many things left out.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 09:30 AM   #92
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
uh.. dunno, my dad used to be into david bowie and pink floyd when he was my age and still loves them deeply, so i've known about them ever since i was little kid.. and this music simply does it for me. i've heard hundreds of records from the 70's ever since, but nothing compares (except for a few)..
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 09:31 AM   #93
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
The very best soul and funk was produced in the late 60s and 70s.

And taking punk into account as well, there really is no need to include any shitty novelty rock bands (Alice Cooper? Kiss? For fuck's sake).
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 09:34 AM   #94
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
never REALLY got into soul/funk for some reason, maybe i haven't listened to the right artists..
Old 11.07.2008, 09:37 AM   #95
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
For instance Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones all made great albums during the 70's. Regardless of personal taste, it is a fact that these bands put out good music deserving of a top 25 mention. Throw in some, Bowie, Beefheart, Can, Iggy Pop, Lour Reed or VU, Televison, etc... and you have almost no room for other great types of music....such a difficult list.
Old 11.07.2008, 09:38 AM   #96
RdTv
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
never REALLY got into soul/funk for some reason, maybe i haven't listened to the right artists..

I will make a top 25 soul/funk/r&b list that you might want to check out
Old 11.07.2008, 09:39 AM   #97
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

thanks
Old 11.07.2008, 09:50 AM   #98
sarramkrop

If I had made this sort of list 18/19 years ago I would have probably included many of the albums mentioned on these lists, so in a way I can understand their presence on many of the youngsters' lists. What I don't get is why people download/buy so much 'obscure' music which apparently blows them away, and then end up having the same records on these top whatever over and over again. I'm not criticising the personal choices of anyone, I just don't get what the point of looking for new music is for many posters.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 10:40 AM   #99
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I think there are too many (younger) people on here who have been to too many 70s themed parties.

Alice Cooper? For fuck's sake.

There was good music around in the 70s.

And stop raiding your dad's record collections.

Never been to a 70's themed party. My Dad owned a total of 1 of the records I listed. Just asking, have you ever heard the first three Alice Cooper albums? At this period in time I can't see how they were any more of a novelty rock band than David Bowie, Roxy Music, Ian Dury or the MC5.

Might not be as sexy as some forgotten krautrock group or pioneering minimalist composer but to me this is good music.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QRHFIVJtqpc
Old 11.07.2008, 01:51 PM   #100
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
If I had made this sort of list 18/19 years ago I would have probably included many of the albums mentioned on these lists, so in a way I can understand their presence on many of the youngsters' lists. What I don't get is why people download/buy so much 'obscure' music which apparently blows them away, and then end up having the same records on these top whatever over and over again. I'm not criticising the personal choices of anyone, I just don't get what the point of looking for new music is for many posters.

It's because decent music peaked in precisely 1976. Didn't you know that?

More seriously though, there are a lot of records that time has failed to forget. Tago Mago is still amazing; Amun Duul (who I've neglected) are still amazing; David Bowie is still amazing (although I'm sure everyone knows my actual feelings on Dame Dave). I'd be very surprised if anyone who didn't live through the 90s (which I did, for part of it) would consider that Urusei Yatsura were amazing, but they'd certainly know the Bends. History makes the oblique question of how good something is seem easier. Is Fun House one of the greatest records ever? Personally, I'd say no, but in terms of how many bands lifted from it, it's absurdly influential.

I think the more recent polls (80s & 90s) are showing up a lot more 'personal choices' because a lot of people were semi-functional adults at the time. Thinking Fellers whatsit - they wouldn't appear in a 90s list in 10-15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth