Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY/Flaming Lips shows- who's headlining???
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2006, 09:16 AM   #1
jscott
little trouble girl

jscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to behold
I bought tix for the St. Louis show, and they only say Flaming Lips. Does this mean that they're the headlining act? Has anyone read anything about what order they'll be playing in, or how long the shows will be?
jscott is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 10:08 AM   #2
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
obviously.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 11:44 AM   #3
jscott
little trouble girl

jscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to beholdjscott is a splendid one to behold
Driving 3 hours to St L to see SY open for the FLipps =
Old 07.08.2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen the Lips, but from the pictures I've seen, the Lips put on a better show than SY. So go enjoy it.
Old 07.08.2006, 12:19 PM   #5
rusty
empty page

rusty has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
My whole thing on it is, how could anyone follow the flaming lips? They have all that confetti and balloons and such, SY would get lost trying to set up their gear.

I'm going to the show at the Allentown Fair, and I bet the St. Louis show is going to be the same in where both bands are playing full sets, so it's not like you're getting cheated out of what they've been playing lately timewise. You might not get an encore, but it'll be fine. And if you don't want to stay for the Lips (you're crazy if you don't,) then you can beat the rush out to the parking lot and such.
rusty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 12:23 PM   #6
jscott
little trouble girl

I'll be staying to catch the Lips, I just don't wanna see SY play for 40 miunutes, then the Lips for 2 hours, that's all I'm saying. I'm quite intrigued with all I've heard about the Lips' stage show. Should be interesting.
Old 07.08.2006, 01:17 PM   #7
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
The Lips are amazing and if you are not acqainted with there music, well then you should really get on it.

good place to start is (albums)
"Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" - Flaming Lips
"Soft Bulletin" - Flaming Lips
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 06:09 PM   #8
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
SHE DONT USE JELLY

duh
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
I will be there.
Old 07.08.2006, 06:33 PM   #10
paco
empty page

paco ain't too shabby
I like SY better, but you'd better believe it's better off with the Lips playing last.
paco is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 07:43 PM   #11
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I like both bands, really. A lot. A whole fucking lot. But I have to say, although SY can put on one hell of a show, Flaming Lips are a better live band. They don't just play their music they have confetti, balloons, a giant bubble for Wayne to walk around in, a huge screen to show films on, weird light shows and animal costumes. Not to mention that Wayne smears his face with stage blood in some songs. Flaming Lips shows are an all out brain-trip. It beats out Sonic Youth shows. Not to mention that Flaming Lips' material has been much more consistant than Sonic Youth's.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 08:00 PM   #12
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Flaming Lips have pretty much perfected the visual element of their shows (although personally, I think SY sounds better). Its really fun seeing them, even if you dont know much of their music. They usually do some fun covers too. Last time I saw them they did awesome covers of Bohemian Rhapsody and War Pigs. Then they play their hits too. This time around they'll probably be doing a lot of stuff from the new album, though. Enjoy...I wish I could be there.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 01:02 AM   #13
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
I was going to go to the Syracuse show, since I love both bands (although I do like SY a BIT more), but it turned out for me to be a lot more convenient to just go to the Toronto show on August 8. I'm really happy I'll be able to see SY headlining too. Don't like what I've heard from The Go! Team though. Oh well, it's Sonic fucking Youth!
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth