Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page 4AD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2009, 05:35 PM   #1
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses

Any thoughts on the 4AD label?

I was reading this compelling interview of its founder Ivo Watts-Russel

I'm pretty sure some of you Rocket scientists will dig this (5 pages long, awesome read).
Old 05.06.2009, 05:42 PM   #2
sarramkrop

We had a sonicl thread about it a while ago. He's one of the best people for this. No, he's the best.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:44 PM   #3
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
didn't find any thread entitled 4AD.
I just wanted to post the link to this recent (2009) interview.
it's in depth.
Old 05.06.2009, 05:45 PM   #4
sarramkrop

there is no depth to your love for me.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:47 PM   #5
greedrex
invito al cielo

"I reject your rejection"
Old 05.06.2009, 05:49 PM   #6
sarramkrop

4ever.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:52 PM   #7
greedrex
invito al cielo

mkay.
get undressed, i'll do you.
Old 05.06.2009, 05:54 PM   #8
sarramkrop

4 real.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:57 PM   #9
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
I liked some of the stuff on 4AD, especially Dead Can Dance and Clan Of Xymox. Now when I think about the label, I mainly remember the amazing album cover art.
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 06:45 PM   #10
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I like just about everything from the early days of the label but the current roster doesn't do much for me really.
Old 05.06.2009, 06:45 PM   #11
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
scott walkers drift is the only thing i think i know from that label...oh and minotaur shock-maritime

good shit!
Old 05.06.2009, 06:47 PM   #12
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
scott walkers drift is the only thing i think i know from that label...oh and minotaur shock-maritime

good shit!

Pixies. Bauhaus. Dead Can Dance. Birthday Party. Cocteau Twins.
Old 05.06.2009, 08:47 PM   #13
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I like just about everything from the early days of the label but the current roster doesn't do much for me really.
^^^ and this.

Lonely is an Eyesore is an awesome sampler. fucking clan of xymox!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 09:17 PM   #14
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
The 12" EP by Rema Rema is my favorite thing on the label.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 09:44 PM   #15
alex_could
bad moon rising

alex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's asses
Throwing Muses also. And 4AD designers are 23 Envelope.

To me sound of 4AD is kinda mystical/magical. E.g. "University" by Muses or any record of Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance.
alex_could is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 10:51 PM   #16
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Cocteau Twins
Pixies
Blonde Redhead
(and most recently) St. Vincent
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 11:02 PM   #17
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Colourbox

It's a crime that it took a novelty single to make international stars of them.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 11:02 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
piano magic motherfuckers!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 11:35 PM   #19
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
^^^ this.

^^^ and this.

Lonely is an Eyesore is an awesome sampler. fucking clan of xymox!

Lonely IS fucking awesome. I love that thing...and Xymox are great, to a certain point. Shame their recent stuff is so....bland.
You know supposedly they are a HUGE influence on Xiu Xiu.
Old 05.06.2009, 11:55 PM   #20
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
PS - Thank you, greedrex
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth