Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do your friends listen to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.02.2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I, for one, know perfectly well how difficult it is to find friends who's music tastes equal up with mine.

Most of my friends are into douchebaggy deathcore (breakdowns and all), mass-produced "indie" bands and then of course there's my lovely girlfriend and her obsession with The Dead Kennedys (her tastes are the most tolerable of the bunch).

Feel free to post pics. To make the thread fun. Maybe of favorite bands or of your friends! =)

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2008, 11:48 PM   #2
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
All my friends have very different tastes in music.

I could go on listing genres, but I'm far too lazy.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
some friends listen to untolerable mainstream shit while others listen to untolerable underground shit.

nah, to be fair "eclectic" might be the word for it.

my ex was furious when i told her i despise the killers and clap your hands say yeah, she made me remind her what bands both of us liked.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 12:00 AM   #4
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Are you kidding, there's a bad called Clap Your Hands Say Yeah?

Old 07.03.2008, 12:19 AM   #6
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
All different. Of my two closest friends, one listens to mostly SRV, blues, jazz, R&B, and the other listens to classical, techno, and operatic-type stuff. But they're all pretty open for the most part. My last girlfriend listened to Radiohead and Snow Patrol type stuff.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 12:19 AM   #7
EMMAh
invito al cielo

People must really have a hard time thinking of bands names.

Old 07.03.2008, 12:25 AM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Mine are varied in their tastes, ranging from Stoner Rock and rap, through Yngwie Malmsteen to Sleater Kinney. I rarely talk to my friends about music.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 12:28 AM   #9
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
most of my friends listen to pretty good stuff. my best friend listens to the same music that i do (well mostly)
and most my other friends listen to pretty good stuff.
jazz
some alt rock
punk
post punk
flamenco

none listen to emo or any of that shit and none listen to rnb or shitty rap or pop, at least not usually

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 01:03 AM   #10
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
very stupid music
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 01:10 AM   #11
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
music.
Old 07.03.2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I have friends I made through music, so those tend to like a lot of the same stuff I do. They can surprise you though, like the guy in my band who's the weirdest and noisiest telling me how much he likes Steve Miller.

I have other friends I made other ways, such as photography for instance. Some of them like shit like U2 or whatever that I can't tolerate, but then I only know that from reading their profiles online and stuff. I don't usually listen to music with non-music friends for obvious reasons.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 01:26 AM   #13
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
One of my friends only listens to Iron Maiden and people like Malmsteen, Satriani etc.
Another likes some stuff from a compilation I made for her - The Verlaines, Thurston Moore, The Cure, The Smiths, Suede, The Sugarcubes.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 01:27 AM   #14
EMMAh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I have friends I made through music, so those tend to like a lot of the same stuff I do. They can surprise you though, like the guy in my band who's the weirdest and noisiest telling me how much he likes Steve Miller.

Steve Miller is the shit.

Old 07.03.2008, 01:29 AM   #15
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
some people call me maurice
woo woo

that's steve miller isn't it?
Old 07.03.2008, 01:34 AM   #16
EMMAh
invito al cielo

Yes, yes it is.

Old 07.03.2008, 01:39 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Thinking of my friends and acquaintances, they all have pretty diverse tastes... the only bands we can all agree on are the misfits, secret chiefs 3, dead kennedys, the smiths (who I don't really like but can tolerate), melt banana, joy division, the residents, polysics, and cerberus shoal...

Thinking of 5 random pals for a moment... One of my good pals is into a lot of electronic shit, and amprep type shit but also loves mainstream stuff like the Killers... cool dude... another pal of mine is mainly into throbbing gristle, jandek, early sonic youth, einsturzende neubauten, merzbow, the residents, legendary pink dots, but one of his all time favorite bands is CHEVELLE. No kidding... very weird but awesome dude, got me into a lot of cool shit.. Let's see, another friend of mine is mainly into sun city girls, amps for christ, my bloody valentine, etc... noisey, vaguely folkly, eclectic kinda stuff usually... one is mainly into pop punk and stuff like THinking Fellers type stuff... and one is into just NOISE, wolf eyes hair police merzbow all this shit.. he almost exclusively listens to doom, drone, etc.

So, I'm pretty lucky to be surrounded by a pretty diverse, open minded, and eclectic group of people, and we appreciate each other's tastes...

One of my best friends, I met him when we both shared a love of Babyland and Squarepusher...

My girlfriend mainly likes jpop, jindie, and uh... I dunno, really melodic shit.. .but also loves stuff like Secret Chiefs 3, Mr. Bungle, Estradasphere, etc...

People who I know around here but don't associate with as much seem to be mainly into mainstream punk and hipster stuff (the Locust, Holy Molar, all that shit that was popular 5 years ago).. but I dunno, I only know a few people who are into My Chemical Romance and shit, and they're all like... 15 or 16 years old.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 01:52 AM   #18
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Another friend says she's into different stuff and she doesn't listen to popular music, but her tastes seem very similar to everyone else's. Once I was talking about Sonic Youth with a friend, and she said "You're into Sonic Youth?" I said "Yes, are you?", but she wasn't really, she'd just heard one of their songs somewhere. Then she listened to Goo, but she didn't really like it. She said she was expanding her tastes.
She also likes to namedrop My Bloody Valentine - she'll be browsing through my iPod, and say "You like My Bloody Valentine?" and I'll ask her if she is, but she doesn't really know them.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 01:54 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno, I guess there just isn't much to do in this town and maybe that makes people more explorative regarding music, but everyone (you know, that's around my age) knows who Sonic Youth is around here and has actually listened to them, and most know MBV. Sure, my musical tastes have rubbed off on my girlfriend, but even before we dated she discovered MBV, Le Shok, Causey Way, old Butthole Surfers, and more on her own.

"It's really easy to be cool with the help of the internet."

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2008, 03:45 AM   #20
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
more like a horrible indie bollocks band called clap your hands say yeah.

Allow me to risk a large amount of, if not all of my credibility on these boards and defend CYHSY. They have dastardly catchy tunes and a singer, who's voice nestles a soothing abrasion into the wise listener's ear.

I'd choose these guys ove rmany other bands in a heartbeat.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth