Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2016, 08:20 PM   #1241
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I didn't like "I don't like Shit" cause it got old and gave me a headache, I know you think that so punk rock and all and innovating but, it sucks. see, rapping gets old. I like singing cause it's more expressive. some young fucktard like Earl doesn't move me. he can influence some other retarded dumb asshole just like Eminem influenced.

Eek. I gotta agree with the general sentiment here, even though I don't feel this strongly about it (still love Doris).

But I Don't Like Shit just sounded monochromatic and grey from the start. I too prefer hip hop with more than just "rapping," because yeah, rapping gets old, especially when it's in monotone over really depressing, slow-motion beats.

For what it's worth, I still think Earl has talent. Tons of it. And I think he has yet to really hit his stride. But hell, he jas a revered mixtape, and two critically lauded LPs to his credit already. He may end up being a long game artist. And I wish him the best.

Tyler, I'm done with, I think.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2016, 08:22 PM   #1242
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, Genesis by Domo G is on Spotify!

I'm listening to it right now. It's good! It's varied, and interesting, and has a ton of nice, positive vibes, as well as darker, angstier shit. I'm only halfway through, but so far I'm digging the hell out of it.
Old 03.25.2016, 08:23 PM   #1243
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
meh. that's a mouth full of taylor swift and fuck you? really? she's ok. but she's pop. perfect for your popism gullible mind.

You know me so well.
Old 03.25.2016, 10:09 PM   #1244
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think you guys are pussy! straight up wimps! yeah I said it and spread it. I ain't fucking around nigga.
Haha chill. Just cuz i love ya and im a Christian don't mean i won't pop you in the lip

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2016, 04:10 AM   #1245
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
No offense but I don't think y'all got "I Don't Like Shit".. it's a grower and at first I wasn't really feeling it like that too, so that's understandable. But when it finally clicked, it found its place in my top 5 albums of the year. It definitely deserved the acclaim it received (and Earl is nothing like Eminem.. sorry green, that was bullshit), he also stopped trying to emulate DOOM's monotonous flow after Doris. Give it more than one half assed listen then come back.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2016, 04:20 AM   #1246
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Most of the beats sound bleak, and Earl himself sounds sad sometimes, but that vibe gets cut by beautiful, soothing instrumental outros that bring a lot of hope.. that's the thing that makes IDLSIDGO brilliant for me. And if you really pay attention to the lyrics then you'll find out that the content isn't even that depressing for the most part.. Sev is right that the general vibe is very "grey" though, yes. But why is that a bad thing? Since when is it "wrong" to be sad, anyway?
Old 03.26.2016, 04:25 AM   #1247
louder
invito al cielo

Nothing but hard ass bars over hard ass beats.. that's pure hip hop. How can I hate.
Old 03.26.2016, 04:29 AM   #1248
louder
invito al cielo

"Screaming fuck 5-0 til' my line go flat"

"You circus niggas, you turning into tricks
I was making waves, you was surfin in 'em"

"Trend dodging, keep a bitch by me, back roll"

"Bitch, if yo' nigga had Supreme, we was the reason he copped it
And nowadays I'm on the hunt for mirrors to box with
And some pretty bitches that ain't trip if it's a hit and run"

"I got the gold cause I don't do the crying, bro
She Mario, I'm tryna keep the whining to a minimum"

"Rap shit got the best of me, I threw the rest off the balcony
Shout out Da$H and RetcHy
I know yo' bitch check for me, so much for chivalry
So long to every bitch tryna get intimate
I'm in my 20's now"

"Tell momma get a gun if I get too popular
I'm just being honest with it
Tell her stop whining, it ain't no mo problems
I'm the best out of all these niggas
Watch your tone when you speaking"

"Bitch nigga, we the train
If you see 'em wave, ain't no bitch in my DNA"

Etc etc. I could go on forever about the joy this album brings to me simply because Earl is such a dope rapper.
Old 03.26.2016, 09:12 AM   #1249
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Most of the beats sound bleak, and Earl himself sounds sad sometimes, but that vibe gets cut by beautiful, soothing instrumental outros that bring a lot of hope.. that's the thing that makes IDLSIDGO brilliant for me. And if you really pay attention to the lyrics then you'll find out that the content isn't even that depressing for the most part.. Sev is right that the general vibe is very "grey" though, yes. But why is that a bad thing? Since when is it "wrong" to be sad, anyway?

It's not a bad thing or a wrong thing, it's just not really where I'm at right now with hip-hop. I don't need things to be positive, but I like them to be colorful and multi-faceted. More than just hard bars over hard beats.

But I will look back into the album.. I've made the mistake of misreading albums before. It took me seeing Kendrick live for me to really get behind him and hear the unique excellence of his music. So I'll give it a revisit. I promise.
Old 03.26.2016, 09:31 AM   #1250
Severian
invito al cielo

Did nobody see my post about Genesis or ... what?
Old 03.26.2016, 09:52 AM   #1251
Severian
invito al cielo

I've been spoiled by Kanye West big time. Every album has a range of hues, and every time they generally coalesce into one overall "vibe" or color. Folks were comparing 808's, MBDTF, Yeezus to Picasso's blue, rose & cubist/crustal periods, respectively, when Pablo's title was leaked. His music is nothing if not colorful. As a result, I have come to expect hip hop to work as more than just beats and rhymes. In fact, beats and rhymes have become secondary to me, and as I venture deeper into electronic music, I find that I'm more interested in emotional experiences, and musical/sonic diversity.

So maybe I treated Earl's album unfairly. For the record, though, Louder, I did listen to it. Not just once, though not many times after the initial release. I will say that the Jazz-y, frenetic musical outros that have been part of his music for some time do kick ass, and that was one thing I appreciated about "Grief" from IDLS... and that song also had a mellow synth line in the background that was easy to miss when watching the video, which made me feel kind of gross.
But when I listened on record, that synth gave a cohesive beauty to the song.
Old 03.26.2016, 10:07 AM   #1252
Severian
invito al cielo

Because I love you louder (more apparently than you love me, since I still don't know how you feel about Bas, and you refuse to write about TLOP with me ) I'm actually jamming IDLS...IDGO right now. Writing about "Grief" made me want to hear that shit again, so it's on the CD player right now.

I forgot about AM // Radio, which is a dope song, with more instrumental variation than I gave the record credit for. That bass refrain is very '80s, very old school, reminiscent of "Juicy" and Dilla at the same time.

So I'm giving this shit a solid chance, straight through right now as I'm typing. And it's working for me well enough. I can feel the absence of Tyler's obnoxious influence, which I approve of, even though I think Cherry Bomb was an intersting and adventurous album that occasionally even approached greatness.

But seriously, it's fucking really disappointing to me that all of us were so hyped up about OF back in the day. I'm embarrassed that I ever proclaimed them the new Wu Tang, because yikes. I see them as an exercise in adolescent silliness now, and everyone involved has moved on to better things, even Tyler. But that's just how I feel today. When nostalgia hits I'll be shouting "kill people/burn shit/fuck school" in my Subaru while driving to work. Lol!
Old 03.27.2016, 04:57 AM   #1253
louder
invito al cielo

You're a real one, Sev. Thanks for giving IDLS another chance. I guess I've been avoiding the Bas album (unconsciously) because I haven't really been in the mood for hip hop lately.. I apologize. I'll get on it soon though, promise.

Yes! AM // Radio is great. That beat + those verses (Earl did better but Wiki definitely held his own). Inside has an amazing beat too. The last song with Vince is vicious and one hell of a way to finish the album. They both went in!

I've finally heard Genesis and it's legit. Doms is actually the 2nd best rapper to come out of Odd Future, he can spit and has more swagger than Tyler. Do y'all remember this line:

"Sad day in Hell for those who doubted, hope your head explode/ Cry about it, but don't deny that Doms got the realest flows"

(Off 20 Wave Caps which was a standout on Doris)

..Now that's what I call that a renegade! Dude outshined Earl on his own shit. Off the top of my head, he also did well on Oldie, as well as Robes (off Pińata). He's underrated for sure.

"Dapper" with Anderson .Paak is my song! I've been listening to that nonstop. And now I'm warming up to the rest of the album. I hope he's finally gonna get the recognition he deserves.
Old 03.27.2016, 11:15 AM   #1254
Severian
invito al cielo

So I found this list yesterday. Just wanted to bring it up.

Anyone want to try to guess what my top 5 "wtf/how dare you?" gripes are regarding this fucking thing?

Quote:
TimeOut's top 20 hip-hop artists of all time

1. Notorious BIG
2. 2pac
3. Jay-Z
4. OutKast
5. Rakim
6. A Tribe Called Quest
7. Nas
8. NWA
9. Lil Wayne
10. Wu-Tang
11. Public Enemy
12. Mobb Deep
13. DMX
14. Missy Elliot
15. Run-DMC
16. Afrika Bambaataa
17. Beastie Boys
18. Eminem
19. Snoop Dogg
20. De La Soul
Old 03.27.2016, 02:46 PM   #1255
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Put Biggie over Tupac? Go home TimeOut you're drunk

Old 03.27.2016, 02:57 PM   #1256
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

My top ten

1. Tupac (biggest scale and popularity of ANY other rapper,had the greatest diversity of styles and sounds, brought a political vibe to mainstream, influenced the fashion of an entire decade)
2. Tribe Called Quest (really if Pac hadn't been the Nirvana of rap Tribe deserves #1 in their influence on the sound, evolution, and sophistication of hip hop)
3. Run DMC (these guys are the original Tribe and put rap on the map)
4. NWA (these guys made it acceptable to talk about THE MUTHAPHUKKIN REAL on the radio, they are the punx of rap and Eazy E had lunch at the WhiteHouse with Bush I wearing what else but jeans and a LA Kings ball cap #KeepItHood)
5. Outkast (like Tribe Kast were the logical torch bearers after Tribe passed it in 98 and Kast picked it up and blazed new trails)
6. Black Star (ushered in a conscience revival to hip hop at the point where it was losing its original soul as "the people's music" returning to the focus on social consciousness that was part of the foundation of hip hop)
7. Dead Prez (these ninjaz are the RATM of rap, i still can't believe their music was on the radio!)
8. Kanye ( i don't dig Ye music but his influence over the past decade of rap is indisputable)
9. Master P (we forget just how big No Limit was in late 90s but frankly a lot of the radio rap today has that Dirty South feel)
10. Snoop Dogg (no explanation needed, Snoop is a pop culture icon, he is the Elvis of Rap)

Old 03.27.2016, 04:25 PM   #1257
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
My top ten

1. Tupac (biggest scale and popularity of ANY other rapper,had the greatest diversity of styles and sounds, brought a political vibe to mainstream, influenced the fashion of an entire decade)
2. Tribe Called Quest (really if Pac hadn't been the Nirvana of rap Tribe deserves #1 in their influence on the sound, evolution, and sophistication of hip hop)
3. Run DMC (these guys are the original Tribe and put rap on the map)
4. NWA (these guys made it acceptable to talk about THE MUTHAPHUKKIN REAL on the radio, they are the punx of rap and Eazy E had lunch at the WhiteHouse with Bush I wearing what else but jeans and a LA Kings ball cap #KeepItHood)
5. Outkast (like Tribe Kast were the logical torch bearers after Tribe passed it in 98 and Kast picked it up and blazed new trails)
6. Black Star (ushered in a conscience revival to hip hop at the point where it was losing its original soul as "the people's music" returning to the focus on social consciousness that was part of the foundation of hip hop)
7. Dead Prez (these ninjaz are the RATM of rap, i still can't believe their music was on the radio!)
8. Kanye ( i don't dig Ye music but his influence over the past decade of rap is indisputable)
9. Master P (we forget just how big No Limit was in late 90s but frankly a lot of the radio rap today has that Dirty South feel)
10. Snoop Dogg (no explanation needed, Snoop is a pop culture icon, he is the Elvis of Rap)

This is a list I could live with ... Except, master P? ... Also, it's not the top two that i have an issue with. I'd place Biggie above Pac myself, but I see your point and calling pac the Nirvana of hip hop is something I've never thought about, but it kinda works.

Putting DMX on the list at all, much less ahead of De La Soul? Lil Wayne at #8? Rakim without Eric b? NO KANYE?! It's just an absurd list.
Old 03.27.2016, 04:43 PM   #1258
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

In what universe is does biggie even belong on top 10 or 20 list let alone near the top???

What did he bring to the table that was so influential or innovative. His fat ass didn't do shit. I

My rationale for Master P is not because i like him, cuz more or less i don't, but because his influence on contemporary rap is uundeniable. No Limit was HUGE and again i hear a lot of Dirty South influence in the rap on the radio today.

Old 03.27.2016, 06:46 PM   #1259
Severian
invito al cielo

If you don't think Big was influential, you've never heard NYC hip hop.

This is the universe where Big belongs at the top of the list. Pac had a meatier discography, but Big was epitome of street rap. One of the most skilled emcees ever to pick up a mic.
Old 03.27.2016, 07:28 PM   #1260
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Ha that is nonsense. But you think the same about Kanye so i can't hold it against you.

53606162 63 64656673113163 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth