Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.29.2014, 04:16 PM   #1601
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I have that new Favolous joint, butI haven't listened to it yet.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2014, 05:52 PM   #1602
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
yo Sev, DJ Mustard got EXPOSED! dude is a fraud, supposedly some dude named Mike Free produced most (if not all) of his beats all this time and didn't get credited for it - http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/12/m...dit-interview/
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2014, 07:31 PM   #1603
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
yo Sev, DJ Mustard got EXPOSED! dude is a fraud, supposedly some dude named Mike Free produced most (if not all) of his beats all this time and didn't get credited for it - http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/12/m...dit-interview/

so weird. And this right after Mustard said he didnt' get paid for Krazy Life and YG threatened to fight him. Plot thickens.

I gotta say Krazy Life is a huge surprise to me. When it first dropped I wasn't feeling it. Now I think it's actually one of the best albums of the year.
Old 12.29.2014, 08:31 PM   #1604
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

Wow. That is really interesting... And what a time for that shit to go down! Right when My Krazy Life and all its “Best-Of” success has been making me consider the possibility that I may have written Mustard off unfairly....

Damn. Damn. Damn!!! While he's never had anything on Rashad, Khaled, Koze or Quik, I think “Mustard” has been responsible for more high-profile club hits than all of them put together. This is the “Milli Vanilli” of beats & production!!!

Well, in all honesty... Whoever's behind the sounds on My Krazy Life (more of a lyrical weapon than competitors like Piñata and RTJ2) still has a much more interesting musical side than I've come to expect from Mustard... So whoever it is, I hope they become immediately famous, and that Mustard puts his head in his ass and takes his licks. Also- worst DJ name ever.

Justice.
Old 12.30.2014, 02:36 AM   #1605
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
word man!! Mike Free talks about musical innovation and stuff you'd never hear from Mustard himself, this man knows what's up, it only makes sense to me that he made at least SOME of his beats.

EDIT:
Quote:
About "Meet the Flockers"
Mike Free: The first time I met YG, he was honest and aggressive, but he was cool. It helped lead me into the direction of our sound. I was in Atlanta; I flew myself out here to help with [My Krazy Life]. It was last minute. They said that they wanted a song to go before “My Nigga”—I produced “My Nigga” also—and they needed a song to go next to it. I was like, "Cool," and came up with a few different bass lines. But they weren’t really vibing with it.

I randomly stumbled on the idea, and it became the song. I wasn’t really vibing with it at first, but when YG heard it, I seen his face change. He was like, “This is it.” He went in the booth and just started saying, “Flockers.” I felt kinda disappointed [My Krazy Life wasn’t nominated for a Grammy] but it only inspired me to work way harder.
Old 12.30.2014, 02:52 AM   #1606
louder
invito al cielo

and yeah at first i thought My Krazy Life was just OK, it came out around the same time as Piñata which made it harder for me to dig it.. but it was definitely a cool album. and i think his next one will be even better.
Old 12.30.2014, 09:27 AM   #1607
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah, I think YG was a victim of the “first quarter fuck-its” for me. We'd just ended a fucking incredible year for hip-hop, where almost all the big names we all love released mind-be singly awesome material *.

Then we started 2014 with hopes of seeing new Wu, Kanye & Kendrick.. But all that ended up happening for he first few months of the year with nothing but Rick Ro$$ on the shelves as far as established motherfuckers go.

YG was kinda just there. Along with Kid Ink, Sage The Gemini, and a bunch of other “Well, whooptie-shit! Generic bangers and more of the same!”

It literally took the entire year for me to develop an appreciation for it. It wasn't a flash in the pan. My Krazy Life really is a fresh little album, and YG stands out from the crowd big time.

I now agree with most of popular culture, and believe YG's debut is definite “classic” matrial... I don't think he has done anything to earn comparisons to Kendrick's “... m.A.A.d. city” but that's just me. It's just a great coming of age rap record born of Gangsta nostalgia. But it's not fair to place it next to a champion game changer.

But yeah, it's pretty dope. I was guilty of sleeping on it for a bit.

I also have to admit that I love both Blacc Hollywood & Paperwork & The New Classic & Cadillactica & Year of the Wolf & Seen it All. Haha! Not top ten material for the most part, but very enjoyable records all.
* I just want to take a minute to mention Jay-Z here. My initial reaction to Magna Carta was positive, but a little bit unenthusiastic. I gave into the bad press. I spun that shit in the background and never really blasted it on headphones enough to appreciate the production and the excellent lyrics. I made the wrong call in the end. Magna Carta, Holy Grail was every bit as good as Nothing Was the Same.... Good thing HOV doesn't give a shit what I think about his records. Lol!
Old 12.30.2014, 09:45 AM   #1608
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, also @ louder:
I have been back and forth on Piñata all year. I've been a fickle fucker, for sure. But I just blasted the whole thing a few times over the weekend, and Madlib's twinkle is finally starting to really mesh in my mind with Freddie's straight gangsta flow. “Thuggin'” is one of the year's finest hip hop tracks.

What I'm saying is, I need to refurbish my TOP 10, because without Piñata it's not going to be worth a goddamn thing. Fredlib created a fucking masterpiece, and I'd m even go as far as to say it's one of the best *albjms* of the year period.

*Sigh*
Change is hard
Old 12.30.2014, 09:52 AM   #1609
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sev, I agree w/ everything you said on Krazy Life. Exactly how it happened for me. Now I love it. I've been rocking that album all week hard.

Also, I can see the Good Kid comparisons. Except Krazy Life is basically the antithesis. YG is one of the dude's passing around 40's at the party that Kendrick is drowning in swimming pools at.
Old 12.31.2014, 04:00 PM   #1610
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah, it's like YG's the younger brother or cousin of one of the “Nigga why you babysitting only two or three shots” dudes. He follows them around and gets hammered while he should be in his APA class, and as a result, he's still a long way from having a story of his own to tell.

But just because Kendrick has conscience and soul doesn't mean getting hammered and being irresponsible isn't fun as hell... Well, at least t sounds fun as hell to those of us who haven't partied hard since these dudes were in middle school. #nostalgia
Old 12.31.2014, 04:48 PM   #1611
louder
invito al cielo

i think a part of what makes Good Kid so special is not only Kendrick's story itself, but how much he has learned from it. YG is a cool gangsta rapper who was directly influenced by Good Kid to do his own take on the Compton life, which resulted in a dope album.

--

so may 2015 bless us with more great hip-hop and great posts!! *cheers*
71787980 81
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth