Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Last Album You Bought?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2015, 08:41 AM   #6541
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I bought Master of Puppets

The album sounds so bad, so wimpy, but right now I'm browsing live versions and this album has some really great songs. It seems in general they rise above most of the metal fray by writing catchy, hummable tunes. If they ever had a real singer and not some fucking cartoon, man, they might've reached brilliance.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2015, 10:03 AM   #6542
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I really like James as a singer. Also havenīt got anything bad to say about Master Of Puppets, always loved it, of course the drum sounds are macho big as all heavy albums in that time, always prefer more Justice For All & St. Anger drum sounds.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2015, 10:24 AM   #6543
dg7z
empty page

dg7z has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i've got the new Failure - Fantastic Planet vinyl reissue on the way
dg7z is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2015, 11:17 AM   #6544
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
The album sounds so bad, so wimpy, but right now I'm browsing live versions and this album has some really great songs. It seems in general they rise above most of the metal fray by writing catchy, hummable tunes. If they ever had a real singer and not some fucking cartoon, man, they might've reached brilliance.

Hmm... I feel you, but I can't sayI totally agree.

I think James Hetfield's vocal approach back in the early '80s was actually a pretty good fit for Metallica's sound at the time. Like most bands that hang around for 30 years, his style has changed from decade to decade.

By the time the band was selling out 30,000 seat international gigs (or shortly thereafter, on Black Album, when the expectations for immediate and unparalleled success were so high that they were hiring accomplished rock radio hit makers to engineer & mix) Hetfield's vocals came out of the basement, and lost their drowned out, murky, totally genre-appropriate horror movie feel.

So yeah, from Black Album on, James is trying for the bigger than life rockstar voice, and while he probably does have the pipes for that kind of thing, he doesn't have the kind of timbre that compliments front-of-the-mix epic vocal wailing.

But think about the difference between Misfits-era Danzig and Danzig-era Danzig. Kinda similar, y'know? Or Henry Rollins during his tenure in Black Flag vs. Henry Rollins in the Rollins Band.

The kind of metal that Metallica made early on was sort of a weird, slightly overachieving, jock cousin to heavy American punk from the same time. So in order to become as big as they wanted to be, they had to become something entirely different. Which they did. Twice... Then again. All to pretty god awful effect.

But between Kill 'Em All and Justice, they had a good thing going. If only they'd continued to write over-long, challenging, completely radio unfriendly epics like Call of Cthulu and Orion, instead of turning all of their energy toward getting 50-75% bigger with every release.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2015, 11:26 AM   #6545
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Anyway, Ride the Lightning is my favorite. Master of Puppets is next, then And Justice For All & Kill 'Em All. Everything else they've released has systematically cancelled out the successes of their early years.

"Fuel" was an all time low. Or so I thought. The only Metallica album I've cared for even slightly since the Black Album made me gag was S&M, because it featured interesting reproductions of the early classics, and because "No-Leaf Clover" was the first new track to sound Metallica in over 10 years.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2015, 05:56 PM   #6546
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Ride the Lightning is a favorite too. Metallica was great until Lars started to suck more suck and James turned into a baby Ted Nugent conservative hunting redneck, circa Black Album, that continues today. why can't we just go with the general consensus that the band went down hill after the bassist died.

it's heavy metal. the fans and musicians were bound to turn into republicans.

Orion is what makes Master of Puppets.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2015, 06:03 PM   #6547
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
im still looking for a decent cheap copy of Metal Box. i'll be damned if im paying over a hundred dollars for a single record. even if it takes years.
Old 05.02.2015, 12:44 AM   #6548
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I think general consensus mostly sucks because it prevents people to make honest opinion about the music. If most people say & think about some band it had gone down, itīs very rare people has interest to listen whole records through and even they will, this opinion influence their listening. And even they still like it, they canīt admit it. People just have tendency to belong into groups.

Anyway like many others I was thinking after Load & Reload Metallica didnīt have anything to me. Then my friend played me St. Anger that had just released and I really felt immediately I had one of my favourite band back. And still I am thinking St. Anger is as great as those eighties albums (well I have always loved also Black Album). And my opinion hasnīt changed even it seems everybody hates that album. Death Magnetic was disappointment to me and now I am thinking again Metallica doesnīt have anything to me anymore. Of course I am glad if I am wrong.

I havenīt ever liked S&M. To me it sounds like normal Metallica live album where has added symphony orchestra playing something (not even anything interesting). And I think Metallica as a live band was at itīs best in the time of Cliff Em All. Well, it was also memorable to see them after Black Album tour, they played then very much older songs (they started in Creeping Death just like in Cliff Em All).

Even Load & Reload were disappointments at time when they came, I have listened them quite recently and think now theyīre ok, not of course great. Somehow I have always thought Ride the Lightining is not great as entirely. I think Fight Fire With Fire, Trapped Under Ice & Escape are kind of fillers. Like they havenīt had enough good material, so they made few tunes in the spirit of Kill Em All. Maybe I have to listen that album as a whole again. Kill Em`All, Master Of Puppets & Justice are of course just dynamite!
Old 05.02.2015, 01:36 AM   #6549
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Wounded Rhymes LP by Lykke Li
Old 05.02.2015, 03:07 PM   #6550
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think general consensus mostly sucks because it prevents people to make honest opinion about the music.

I agree which is why I don't what anyone has to say about Metallica and Lou reed doing "Sweet Jane." It's as good as Lou's Rock n Roll Animal-era band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vfCg_OnTE
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2015, 04:09 PM   #6551
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I've actually purchased a lot lately.

Adding to Lykke Li's above:

Torres' Sprinter
Torres's split single with someone else
Talking Heads' Fear of Music
Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation

I have a nice handful coming in the mail soon.
Old 05.02.2015, 05:05 PM   #6552
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Qui's Life, Water, Living..., directly from Qui member Matt Cronk at the merch table at a gig in Cincinnati. Just started listening to it yesterday--not as powerful as the band's live show but interesting.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2015, 01:16 AM   #6553
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

I agree which is why I don't what anyone has to say about Metallica and Lou reed doing "Sweet Jane." It's as good as Lou's Rock n Roll Animal-era band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vfCg_OnTE
I think this is much better than Rock`n`Roll Animal live version. I think that seventies nightclubbing band Lou had that time didnīt fully fit in his music. Thatīs reason why Rīn`R Animal and Live are really not my favourite Reed live records, take no prisoners are much better. Also later American Poet that is recorded with Transformer-era band and Hassled in April at the same time as take no prisoner are better.

Talking about Lou & Metallica I must mention about Lulu. I was one of those who went into that negative hype about that album. Mostly because the View is the worst song in it and they release it first. I have listened it again quite recently and I have to admit I really like it even itīs not the greatest Lou or Metallica album. But itīs good quite a strange way.
Old 05.04.2015, 05:54 PM   #6554
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

I'm impressed. I ordered the SY and Torres split single at like 3:30am sunday morning, and both already showed up. 36 hours total or so from order placement to hands.
Old 05.05.2015, 06:34 PM   #6555
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Went back to a local store that I remembered had Bad Moon Rising and picked up the copy.
Old 05.05.2015, 08:23 PM   #6556
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

if your a vinyl fan, never go to the Steve Hoffman forum. it'll just confuse the fuck out of you!! "this record was mastered here, cut there, better than the Canadian version, etc...not analog, it's digital mastered"

fuck all that!!!!, I don't have all day...... just take yr chances. im working with pennies here people.
Old 05.06.2015, 06:54 AM   #6557
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
^^^can you see the smile on my face

I feel your frustration as I was once a frequent contributor / visitor.
There are some good threads that are worthy of your attention, but there is way too much blah blah blah to keep me interested.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2015, 04:45 PM   #6558
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
There are some good threads that are worthy of your attention, but there is way too much blah blah blah to keep me interested.

YEAH! ...Oh, wait - I thought you were talking about this forum.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2015, 04:58 PM   #6559
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
OH yeah! On my travels this past week I hit a record/funky store called The Leechpit, in Manitou Springs Colorado. I got these two items

Only one I did not have on vinyl.

and

I love Television....
Old 05.06.2015, 05:07 PM   #6560
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I love Television....

I love 'em more. Sorry!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
278318325326327 328 329330331338 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth