Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2018
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.15.2018, 08:37 AM   #261
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I wasn't expecting drama in this kind of thread.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2018, 03:59 PM   #262
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Out October 5:

I can't be the only one here who listens to McCaslin, can I? I know several of you dig Bowie's Blackstar (and how could you not), so I would imagine you'd at least be interested in the guy's music.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2018, 07:40 PM   #263
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Out October 5:

I can't be the only one here who listens to McCaslin, can I? I know several of you dig Bowie's Blackstar (and how could you not), so I would imagine you'd at least be interested in the guy's music.

Hey I just defended your honor up there. Fucking show some respect before you go talking about “music” or whateverthefuck. Geez.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2018, 08:15 PM   #264
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hey I just defended your honor up there. Fucking show some respect before you go talking about “music” or whateverthefuck. Geez.

Listen, TINY... You're just a little girl with grey eyes. Never mind, say something. Wait until the crowd cries. Oh, wait until the crowd cries. You're just a little girl with grey eyes...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 08.16.2018, 10:05 PM   #265
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Out October 5:

Loved his playing in Dave Douglas' groups. Will check out
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2018, 05:36 AM   #266
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Listen, TINY... You're just a little girl with grey eyes. Never mind, say something. Wait until the crowd cries. Oh, wait until the crowd cries. You're just a little girl with grey eyes...

BBBBBBOWIE!!!!
Old 08.20.2018, 03:52 PM   #267
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
Loved his playing in Dave Douglas' groups. Will check out

Try starting with Casting For Gravity, the album which caught Bowie's ear and which includes a tremendous version of Boards Of Canada's "Alpha And Omega".

https://donnymccaslin.bandcamp.com/a...ng-for-gravity

Old 08.20.2018, 06:31 PM   #268
Severian
invito al cielo

New Low, New slow, New Low!
New Sporitualized, New Spiritualized, New Spiritualized!

Alt-indie space drone nonsense I love forever!
Old 08.21.2018, 12:01 PM   #269
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Mono New New Mono Nomo Mew!!
モノニューモノモノモノ!

and a Mogwai sountrack end of this month

wondering if you'll still like the new Low after you hear it ....

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2018, 06:37 PM   #270
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

wondering if you'll still like the new Low after you hear it ....

Why? Being a dick or do you have some reason to believe I won’t?

Actually I don’t technically “like” it right now, but it qualifies as one of the most anticipated albums of the year for me so... WHAT?!

I hear it’s their most experimental album ever.
Old 08.22.2018, 08:30 PM   #271
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
the new animal collective and gang gang dance albums are very good. it's 2004!

i'm looking forward to the upcoming tim hecker.
i really really really want to hear the new jeff witscher.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2018, 08:32 AM   #272
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
the new animal collective and gang gang dance albums are very good. it's 2004!

i'm looking forward to the upcoming tim hecker.
i really really really want to hear the new jeff witscher.

(In booming old-timey British king voice)
Silence! We doth not credit what you say of the fallen Collective of Animals!!!

(Regular voice)

But yeah, Gang Ganh Dance! I was surprised to hear they still have it. I always thought they were going to become something big on the underground scene... Eye Contact and Saint Dymphna were both really strong records, and there was a time when I would have pegged them as possible Sonic Youth successors. But then... away they went.

Animal Collective’s whole story is just too sad. So many strong releases between ‘03 and ‘09, then... poof! Went to shit. Not quite Modest Mouse-after-2002-level shit, but I’d say they lost just as much magic after peaking.
Old 08.23.2018, 04:43 PM   #273
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Well said. Here comes the indian, sung tongs, and oddsac are next level genius, and then... Centipede hz. Wtf garbage. Deakin's album is brilliant. I'm looking forward to geologist finally releasing something. Tangerine reef really is dope tho. If you ever meet them they are some of the nicest people ever. Them and phil elverum were my heroes back in 04.
Old 08.23.2018, 05:58 PM   #274
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well said. Here comes the indian, sung tongs, and oddsac are next level genius, and then... Centipede hz. Wtf garbage. Deakin's album is brilliant. I'm looking forward to geologist finally releasing something. Tangerine reef really is dope tho. If you ever meet them they are some of the nicest people ever. Them and phil elverum were my heroes back in 04.

I’ve met Phil Elvrum a few times, but not AC.

Centipede HZ was truly where it busted up. And after “Fall Be Kind” showed some real interesting prospects for a post-Merriweather progression... ugh! They just tried to remake Merriweather, only they did it in a clunky and irritating way. And Painting With is bleh meh garbage too.
Sounds like fookin’ corcus music that knows it could be more than that but refuses to be

“Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper” was solid though
Old 08.23.2018, 11:46 PM   #275
d.sound
the destroyed room

Ive met phil too. So sweet. And so was Genevieve. Her fav sy album was washing machine too.

Ive said hello to a lot of musicians over the years but ac was the one of the few that approached me to talk, even more than once, even after getti g big.
Old 08.24.2018, 07:47 AM   #276
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ive met phil too. So sweet. And so was Genevieve. Her fav sy album was washing machine too.

Ive said hello to a lot of musicians over the years but ac was the one of the few that approached me to talk, even more than once, even after getti g big.

Same (well, he didn’t come up to me, but he remained approachable even after becoming successful). I wonder if we hail from the same area? I spent a lot of time near the region where Phil made a name for himself, and still resides if I’m not mistaken. We’ve probably talked about this before. Sorry. My memory is terrible.
Old 08.24.2018, 09:38 AM   #277
d.sound
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Same (well, he didn’t come up to me, but he remained approachable even after becoming successful). I wonder if we hail from the same area? I spent a lot of time near the region where Phil made a name for himself, and still resides if I’m not mistaken. We’ve probably talked about this before. Sorry. My memory is terrible.
i live in ohio and used to liv in wv. i got into phil in 2000. saw him in pittsburgh like a week before glow pt 2 came out. i've been to over a dozen shows over the years including following him for four dates deadhead style thru virginia and n carolina. he got to recognizing me. so many special shows. museums, churches, a barn, a hot and seemingly abandoned warehouse, in the rain outside a foundry with trains going by... once my friend got a personal performance in a tree house way back when he was still with khalea.
the man is the true definition of genius. his shows in 2004 solo with a hollow body electric and a boss delay pedal were beyond the beyond. he had soooo many songs and ideas. i'm thankful to have witnessed all those mini songs that never got released like dark foundation and dark hills. i had the good fortune of recording a number of shows. most of them were posted to the meps board and archive.org.
Old 09.10.2018, 11:44 AM   #278
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now: Julee Cruise, Three Demos.

https://juleecruisesb.bandcamp.com/album/three-demos

Quote:
Three Demos is a very unique release, featuring the very first demo recordings for songs from Julee Cruise's initial LP with David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti, Floating Into the Night.

These early versions are fascinating glimpses into the genesis of what became Floating Into the Night and the minimal key ingredients that made the material alchemize. An early version of the album opener "Floating" originally began with a stunning spoken-word intro later dropped entirely from the album version. A revelation in their overarching simplicity, the three-song collection is devoid of the LP's additional arrangement flourishes, and yet still manages to present the same emotional depth charge with only voice, synthesizer and lyric.

A deluxe reissue of Julee Cruise's second album The Voice of Love is also available via Sacred Bones Records, exclusively on 2xLP and CD. Order at http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/pr...-voice-of-love

Old 09.10.2018, 12:02 PM   #279
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out September 28: Klara Lewis & Simon Fisher Turner, Care.

https://editionsmego.bandcamp.com/album/care

Quote:
Editions Mego is proud to present the first outing from the legendary
English musician, songwriter, composer and producer Simon Fisher
Turner alongside the highly acclaimed emerging Swedish sound artist Klara Lewis.

Care is a unique outing rife with delicious dichotomy. The opening
track positions the aggressive directly against more fragile moments.
On the subsequent track medieval melodies sprout from a dense rhythmic hiss. Witness a Middle Eastern song appearing amongst a haunted rattling reverb in the epic "Tank" whilst a beautiful force of hope can be found within the sound world of the the closing track "Mend".

The wide scope of references and constant pull of forces make this debut offering a timeless patchwork of sonic spaces. Care is an album which sways in such a salubrious manner one can't help but delight in its unique form of location/disorientation.

releases September 28, 2018

Composed & Edited by Klara Lewis and Simon Fisher Turner

Photography Klara Lewis.

Design Nik Colk Void

http://editionsmego.com/release/EMEGO-253

Old 09.10.2018, 12:13 PM   #280
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out October 12: Kurt Vile, Bottle It In.

https://store.matadorrecords.com/new...s/bottle-it-in

Quote:
Travel can inspire in surprising ways: Kurt Vile discovered as much making his first record in three years, the eclectic and electrifying Bottle It In, which he recorded at various studios around the country over two very busy years, during sessions that usually punctuated the ends of long tours or family road trips.

Every song, whether it's a concise and catchy pop composition or a sprawling guitar epic, becomes a journey unto itself, taking unexpected detours, circuitous melodic avenues, or open-highway solos. If Vile has become something of a rock guitar god—a mantle he would dismiss out of humility but also out of a desire to keep getting better, to continue absorbing new music, new sounds, new ideas—it's due to his precise, witty playing style, which turns every riff and rhythm into points on a map and takes the scenic route from one to the next.

Using past albums as points of departure, Bottle It In heads off in new directions, pushing at the edges of the map into unexplored territory: Here be monster jams. These songs show an artist who is still evolving and growing: a songwriter who, like his hero John Prine, can make you laugh and break your heart, often in the same line, as well as a vocalist who essentially rewrites those songs whenever he sings them in his wise, laconic jive-talkin' drawl. He revels in the minutiae of the music— not simply incorporating new instruments but emphasizing how they interact with his guitar and voice, how the glockenspiel evokes cirrocumulus clouds on "Hysteria," how Kim Gordon's "acoustic guitar distortion" (her term) engulfs everything at the end of "Mutinies," how the banjo curls around his guitar lines and backing vocals from Lucius to lend a high-lonesome aura to "Come Again."

These journeys took Vile more than two years to navigate, during which time he toured behind his breakout 2015 album b'lieve I'm goin' down, recorded a duets album with Australian singer-songwriter-guitarist Courtney Barnett, opened for Neil Young in front of 90,000 people in Quebec, famously became a clue on Jeopardy, hung out with friends, took vacations with his wife and daughters. "I've been bouncing around a lot and recording all over. My family would meet me in the middle of America, and we'd go on a road trip somewhere. I would record in between all that stuff."

As Vile prepares for another round of lengthy tours and countless shows, these songs should prove good company, reminders of the love and responsibility he has toward those he leaves at home and those
 he meets along the way. That makes the sentiments resonate more strongly and lends Bottle It In an emotional weight. "It's like that moment on the airplane," Vile says, "when you're on your way somewhere and you have that burst of panic. When you're terrified of dying, that's when you want people to know you love them."

111213 14 151617 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth