Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.07.2017, 06:03 AM   #661
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
NR ... 4:44 IS ON APPLE MUSIC AND ITUNES. Maybe Spotify too, but... GO BUY THAT SHIT!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2017, 07:36 AM   #662
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I don't buy mp3's man. I buy physical CD's, or I stream em w/ the subscription I'm already paying for. So let's see...

and...

nope. All of his albums are gone from Spotify. No 4:44.

I'm sure this is the greatest album of the history of music. But I'm not gonna condone this kind of thing. Y'know my dedication to Weezer and how unwavering it is? It's like that. I'm sorry, this is going to be like the Kanye thing. It's going to annoy you (more than it should) that I haven't heard it yet. But I'll hear it when Jay stops playing monopoly games and lets the consumer obtain this album (legally) how they choose.

Trust, if I heard it right now - it would be tainted with my annoyance at the decision of commerce. It's best I wait and hear it when I'm not annoyed.
Old 07.07.2017, 08:04 AM   #663
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
50 Cent talking shit about 4:44

"“I listened to Jay s***, that 4:44 … I thought the s*** was a’ight. I liked the s***, but I’m gonna keep it 100 — the s*** was a little … the s*** was too smart. I felt like I was supposed to be wearing like glasses … and like a tie, a f***ing sweater around my waist. It was like Ivy League s***.” “Now Imma tell you the truth: n****s is high out here, so they don’t wanna hear that s***. They just wanna have a good time. You know what I’m saying? And f*** that—you can’t be the best rapper at 47 because the new n****s is here. They coming with new s*** going on.”
“That’s why I was laughing with the Joe Budden n**** with the Migos n****s ’cause they up. They up next, you gotta let the young n****s come in. N****s f***ing with Future and all this. Leave them n****s alone man, b, what the f*** is the matter with you, man?”
“I ain’t gon’ hold you up son, that s*** was like golf course music,” he added. (emphasis added cuz its funny)
Old 07.07.2017, 09:08 AM   #664
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

"“I listened to Jay s***, that 4:44 … I thought the s*** was a’ight. I liked the s***, but I’m gonna keep it 100 — the s*** was a little … the s*** was too smart. I felt like I was supposed to be wearing like glasses … and like a tie, a f***ing sweater around my waist. It was like Ivy League s***.” “Now Imma tell you the truth: n****s is high out here, so they don’t wanna hear that s***. They just wanna have a good time. You know what I’m saying? And f*** that—you can’t be the best rapper at 47 because the new n****s is here. They coming with new s*** going on.”
“That’s why I was laughing with the Joe Budden n**** with the Migos n****s ’cause they up. They up next, you gotta let the young n****s come in. N****s f***ing with Future and all this. Leave them n****s alone man, b, what the f*** is the matter with you, man?”
“I ain’t gon’ hold you up son, that s*** was like golf course music,” he added. (emphasis added cuz its funny)
This is hilarious. 50 is a funny man.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2017, 09:31 AM   #665
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Louder, nobody seems to be picking up on what we perceived to be Drake subliminals in "Moonlght." I was looking at one site that suggested those lines were aimed at Soulja Boy.

???

Who the fuck would bother dissing Soulja Boy in 2017?

Think I was wrong about those lyrics? I honestly don't think I was. I think Jay wiped "Drizzy's" ass with that stupid fucking face. But maybe I'm just projecting.
Old 07.07.2017, 09:38 AM   #666
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I don't buy mp3's man. I buy physical CD's, or I stream em w/ the subscription I'm already paying for. So let's see...

and...

nope. All of his albums are gone from Spotify. No 4:44.

I'm sure this is the greatest album of the history of music. But I'm not gonna condone this kind of thing. Y'know my dedication to Weezer and how unwavering it is? It's like that. I'm sorry, this is going to be like the Kanye thing. It's going to annoy you (more than it should) that I haven't heard it yet. But I'll hear it when Jay stops playing monopoly games and lets the consumer obtain this album (legally) how they choose.

Trust, if I heard it right now - it would be tainted with my annoyance at the decision of commerce. It's best I wait and hear it when I'm not annoyed.

Haha.. sorry, I've rankled you with my non-stop outshines I see

But honestly, your read on this is wrong. In fact, I'd be kinda pissed if you were to break your oath for 4:44 when you didn't break it for TLOP.

This album is dope and everything, but it's just nowhere near as good as TLOP. Nowhere. fucking. near. as good. Not even in the same universe. It's a good solid boom-bappy rap album. It's great even. But it's no TLOP. There's no transcendence happening, nothing challenging solincally, nothing musically adventurous. It's just Jay being the best version of Jay, which is a damn cool thing.

So, while it would be cool to hear your thoughts on this, it's not gonna stick in my craw like TLOP did. And again, if you weren't going to break the rules for TLOP, you definitely shouldn't break your rules for something less than TLOP. I'd be happy about you hearing 4:44, but the implicit diss to Kanye is what would REALLY stick in my craw if you did break down and listen.

So do your thing man. Physical cd will probably be out in a week anyway.
Old 07.08.2017, 03:16 AM   #667
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Louder, nobody seems to be picking up on what we perceived to be Drake subliminals in "Moonlght." I was looking at one site that suggested those lines were aimed at Soulja Boy.

???

Who the fuck would bother dissing Soulja Boy in 2017?

Think I was wrong about those lyrics? I honestly don't think I was. I think Jay wiped "Drizzy's" ass with that stupid fucking face. But maybe I'm just projecting.
Meh, I still think you got it right. Nobody cares about Soulja Boy at this point. Maybe those lines are just general subliminals aimed at the young generation, but many of them still apply to Drake:

"Y'all on the 'Gram holdin' money to your ear
There's a disconnect, we don't call that money over here, yeah
"

"Stop walkin' around like y'all made Thriller, huh?"

https://genius.com/10199394

"Fake Dracos all in the videos"

Old 07.08.2017, 11:57 AM   #668
Severian
invito al cielo

BAAAAAHAHAHAA!

I didn't even catch the double entendre of Instagram/Aubrey Graham in the "All on the 'Gram" bit. Yeah, I think he's definitely talking about Drake.

Fucking Drake man. I hate him so much.
Old 07.08.2017, 12:06 PM   #669
Severian
invito al cielo

BTW, louder, NR... have you seen this animated Viceland video featuring Ninja from Die Antwood? It's about how Ninja once went over to Kanye's house and found himself in the middle of a super-serious basketball game between Kanye and his crew and Drake and his entourage.

The time Kanye and Ninja of Die Antwood played basketball at Drake's (YouTube)

It's fucking... hilarious.

Apparently Kanye is totally spaced out, but Drake is the real villain. A total douche. Much fun is made of Drake and his doucheliness. Also, apparently Drake and his entourage are, like, obsessed with basketball and are all really good, and Kanye's crew is kind of not.

There's a cute bit where Ninja talks about how Kanye would take all these ridiculous, acrobatic jump shots and trick shots and just fucking MISS, time after time, but didn't let that stop him, or deter him even in the slightest, and he goes on to actually MAKE one of these crazy shots that ended up winning that game for his team.

Nobody comes out smelling like roses exactly, but after watching this video, I think I actually liked Kanye even more, and liked Drake even less (neither of which was previously thought possible.
Old 07.08.2017, 12:12 PM   #670
Severian
invito al cielo

ALSO, Louder, yes I watched the video for "The Story of O.J." and it's troubling but also fucking brilliant. I think it made me like the song even more, as the video shines a light on several sub-issues of racism and black stereotyping that the song doesn't touch on (since it's largely about financial independence, and the "freedom" it can provide).

Great... GREAT video. Terrifying and spooky as fuck, but great. Seriously.
Old 07.08.2017, 10:04 PM   #671
Severian
invito al cielo

Say stuff!
Old 07.08.2017, 10:13 PM   #672
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
BTW, louder, NR... have you seen this animated Viceland video featuring Ninja from Die Antwood? It's about how Ninja once went over to Kanye's house and found himself in the middle of a super-serious basketball game between Kanye and his crew and Drake and his entourage.

The time Kanye and Ninja of Die Antwood played basketball at Drake's (YouTube)

It's fucking... hilarious.

Apparently Kanye is totally spaced out, but Drake is the real villain. A total douche. Much fun is made of Drake and his doucheliness. Also, apparently Drake and his entourage are, like, obsessed with basketball and are all really good, and Kanye's crew is kind of not.

There's a cute bit where Ninja talks about how Kanye would take all these ridiculous, acrobatic jump shots and trick shots and just fucking MISS, time after time, but didn't let that stop him, or deter him even in the slightest, and he goes on to actually MAKE one of these crazy shots that ended up winning that game for his team.

Nobody comes out smelling like roses exactly, but after watching this video, I think I actually liked Kanye even more, and liked Drake even less (neither of which was previously thought possible.
Ha! I actually read ABOUT this story before, but didn't know there was a video. Gonna watch later today for sure!

Quote:
ALSO, Louder, yes I watched the video for "The Story of O.J." and it's troubling but also fucking brilliant. I think it made me like the song even more, as the video shines a light on several sub-issues of racism and black stereotyping that the song doesn't touch on (since it's largely about financial independence, and the "freedom" it can provide).

Great... GREAT video. Terrifying and spooky as fuck, but great. Seriously.
Yes bro it's amazing, that's why I wanted y'all to watch it so badly. Seriously made the song even better!

The line about OJ is one of the strongest of the year, for sure.

I love how Jay delivers his lyrics in a conversational manner, you know? Makes it sound like he's speaking to the listener directly, his flow is more dynamic that way and just jazzy as fuck.
Old 07.09.2017, 10:30 AM   #673
Severian
invito al cielo

WATCH THAT VIDEO LOUDER!
You owe me a video-watching

Plus it's really fucking entertaining.
Old 07.09.2017, 04:17 PM   #674
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

^
Says the guy who filed for bankruptcy last year, and has been irrelevant for twice as long as he was hot shit.

Says the guy who, as recently as 2015, released a big, monstrous, bloated terrible piece of shit album that was universally panned, and predictable as fuck. Resting entirely on laurels that weren't even present.

Says the guy who has attempted to be the very kind of simultaneous corporate figurehead and hip-hop elder statesman that Jay actually is, but who failed at both endeavors miserably. The former because of shitty business decisions, the latter because he overstayed his welcome (his time was over long before Kanye obliterated him in first week sales in '07, signaling the end of the gangsta rap second coming).

Says the only guy who has ever been beateb in a rap feud by Rick fucking Ross (another fossil who is WAY past his prime).

I have nothing against 50 Cent, and I like many of his songs, and he is funny as fuck sometimes, but what a stupid thing for him, of all people, to say. It doesn't even make sense! Should Bob Dylan have stopped making music 39 years ago because it was someone else's turn? That's not how shit works. If you earn yourself a long run at the top, good for you. There's no rule saying you have to roll over. And Jay's not even peddling the same product as the "new" cats. I feel like this album is closer in spirit to We Got it From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service.

Yeah. So. I have plenty of shit I could talk about Jay, but none of that shit has to do with his music being "too smart" or him not moving over for XXXtentación or whoever-the-fuck.

It's a good album. Better than anything 50 Cent's ever released. Poor guy is worse off than Lil Wayne (who is, like, legitimately fucking CRAZY -- crazier than Kanye, and a little bit scary about it -- in ways nobody ever talks about because nobody ever talks about him). But at least Wayne is still scoring hits on features with Chance and Nicki and Solange.

Bad form, Fiddy.
Old 07.10.2017, 08:30 AM   #675
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
50 cent sucks too. hahahaa
Old 07.10.2017, 10:03 AM   #676
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
50 cent sucks too. hahahaa

He had his 15 minutes. Made a few tracks that I'll turn up if I hear them on hip-hop '00s radio. When I got back into hip-hop big time, I listened to him a lot for a while. I even bought that Animal Ambition album for some reason. I just wanted something to listen to and it was cheap at Target. But yeah, big picture? The guy is a nobody. A blip on the Aftermath radar between Eminem and Kendrick.
Old 07.10.2017, 10:54 PM   #677
louder
invito al cielo

Get Rich or Die Tryin' is pretty good (used to love it when I was younger), The Massacre actually has his best work on it but it's overlong with too much filler. Meh.
Old 07.10.2017, 11:47 PM   #678
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I like Get Rich the best.

But the first G Unit album is better I think.
Old 07.11.2017, 09:23 AM   #679
louder
invito al cielo

Thing about Get Rich is I can hardly listen to it nowadays without feeling like a wigger.

Guess I prefer Jay's "smart rap".
Old 07.11.2017, 10:08 AM   #680
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Get Rich or Die Tryin' is pretty good (used to love it when I was younger), The Massacre actually has his best work on it but it's overlong with too much filler. Meh.

I can't really listen to any of it anymore and truly enjoy it. There was a time when I really did listen to and enjoy 50, and The Masssacre is probably his best. I actually really like a couple of tracks from Before I Self Destruct ("The Invitation," "Death to my Enemies"), but I never feel a desire to listen to them.

Thing about 50 is that he was a personality above all. As a rapper, he's really pretty shite. His flow is stunted and lurches like a stalling car engine. His rhymes are flat. His delivery is flat, except for when he's just screaming himself hoarse. He raps like Puff Daddy, or Mase, only with Phil Anselmo's impotent rage.

Basically, he sucks. His good songs can be attributed to his personality, the production, the company (G-Unit), etc.

Anyway, if he thinks Jay Z's music is "too smart," I don't really know what to say to that. His head would probably explode if ever heard Gift of Gab or Aesop Rocky. Calling 4:44 "too smart," and "golf course music" (?) is just way, way off. For a guy who can be funny, he certainly is going out of his way not to be.

4:44 is like We Got it From Here... No, there's nothing new going on... nothing revolutionary, but it's a traditionalist hip-hop record, and a "thinking man's" rap record in an era when most rap is just boing-boing, slobbery, Brocolli bullshit. It's refreshing in that it captures the best of an older artist and sounds fresh in 2017.
313233 34 35363744 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth