Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A slice of my life at present (warning: long read)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.16.2006, 01:37 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
The car I drive (not mine, long story) broke down today, which means I had to cancel on the guy I'm playing guitar for right now (if yr into stuff like Elvis Costello, They Might Be Giants, Ben Folds, or Eels, check him out at www.barakshpiez.com ), and that really sucks becuz this is only the second time I've met him, and the first time I met him last week, I was 30 minutes late and I hadn't shaved...I don't want to give him the impression that I'm unreliable or anything like that, becuz I'm really not.

Also, some of you might remember a thread I posted a while back called "How Young Is Too Young" or something like that...before Daycare Nation turned it into a whine-fest, I told you guys about this younger (17) girl who started working with me whom I was a little interested in and I'd kinda like to give a little update on how things have gone since then...we seem to have gotten a little closer, one night after work, we stopped off a little coffee shop and had some drinks together and talked for a while...it turns out she has a very wide taste in music, from indie to classical (but she deosn't like opera, they were playing opera in the place and she eventually rolled her eyes and said "This is starting to get really annoying"-that's okay, I don't like opera either)-and she's even a Sonic Youth fan to boot! "Schizophrenia" is actually one of her favorite songs (I'll get back to that in a moment)...she's a big Harry Potter fan (but she hates the movies), and she wanted me to read the first book, so she lent it to me...I have to say it's a damn good book, even though it's technically for kids. Now that the back to school season has ended, (thank God) we're low on hours and we've only worked together once in the past week, and we're only working together for a few hours tomorrow this coming week..I have a feeling the manager is intentionally trying to seperate us, since she said something to that effect becuz in her mind we were chit-chatting more than getting any work done. The girl (I'd rather not mention her name for the sake of her privacy) seemed like she was interested in going out/hanging out again, but if we're not closing together, that won't happen...I thought of asking maybe if I could just meet her at the coffee place after she's done working, but with the car broken down.....................

Anyway, getting back to the her-and-me-and-SY thing, she said something to the effect of wanting to hear more of their stuff, so I thought about making her an SY mixtape but I'm not sure what to put on it...if she already has Sister, it would make things somewhat easier, but if not, I have a 90-minute tape with 45 minutes on each side, so I could put Sister on one side (if it'd fit, not sure how long it is) and have the other side be a mix...but I'm not sure what I could put on it...I kinda want to draw from all their albums, but with only 45 minutes...here's the tracklisting I think would be best:

1. "Silver Rocket"
2. "Genetic" (my theme song)
3. "Self-Obsessed and Sexee"
4. "Starpower"
5. "I Love Her All The Time" (I don't think she'd get the wrong impression, do you?)
6. "Mote"
7. "Kool Thing"
8. "Candle"
9. "Inhuman"
10. "Expressway To Yr Skull"
11. "Titanium Expose"
12. "The Diamond Sea" (think it would fit?)

Suggestions, comments?
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2006, 01:52 PM   #2
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Sister is 43 minutes, so it would fit right on.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2006, 01:52 PM   #3
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Good...what about the rest?
Old 09.16.2006, 01:55 PM   #4
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

Damn, I just realized I don't have anything from this decade on that list...

But the best songs off Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, and Rather Ripped are kinda long...
Old 09.16.2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I think you should throw in "Unmade Bed" to let her catch a glimpse of what they usually sound like today, and "Eyeliner" or "helen Lundeberg", because they're (hopefully) the future 'sound' of Sonic Youth.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth