Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sonic Youth is such a fantastic band
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.15.2010, 09:08 AM   #1
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
God, this is going to be the cheesiest thing ever, but I've spent the past 2 hours browsing on YouTube and watching Sonic Youth official as well as live videos ... and I once again I realized how great this band is and how important it has been for me in the past 10 years or so. I mean, fuck the last 2 albums, but there never was, is or will be a band capable of creating such compressed magic as they did in their music.
I love Sonic Youth.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2010, 09:24 AM   #2
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Cute
Old 08.15.2010, 09:30 AM   #3
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Not cheesy at alll. They amaze me daily and will always be my favorite. They have helped me through a lot of hard times. I owe them a lot for that

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2010, 11:59 AM   #4
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Indeed. I always feel the same when I stop listening to them for a little time and then listen to them again and am always blown away. They're fantastic.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2010, 12:08 PM   #5
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Best there ever was best there ever will be
Old 08.15.2010, 12:10 PM   #6
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
fap fap fap
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2010, 01:06 PM   #7
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
God, this is going to be the cheesiest thing ever, but I've spent the past 2 hours browsing on YouTube and watching Sonic Youth official as well as live videos ... and I once again I realized how great this band is and how important it has been for me in the past 10 years or so. I mean, fuck the last 2 albums, but there never was, is or will be a band capable of creating such compressed magic as they did in their music.
I love Sonic Youth.

you speak from the bottom of my heart.
there are these moments where you realize exactly this.
same for me. from time to time when jumping from one song (or album) to another, I caught myself everytime to be fully blown away. often by different things then the last time.

I love Sonic Youth too!

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2010, 04:47 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I remember in high school I spent every study hall period and many lunch periods just reading all the mustang site, listening to them, posting on here, etc... I have a whole dresser that is nothing but cut out pictures of them and their name, taped up... they're a great band... they've really made so many wonderful albums; it's crazy to think the same band who made scary, noisey, violent, sexy Confusion is Sex made the beautiful guitar epic Murray Street (possibly the best "epic clean guitar interplay" album since Marquee Moon, imo).. just so many amazing songs... I dunno.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 03:44 AM   #9
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I don't listen to Sonic Youth nowhere near as much as I used to in the past and maybe some day I'll stop listening to them completely. But I think they'll no matter what always be one of my favorites. I think they were the perfect first band to really get into for me. Sure before then I'd been aware and enjoyed certain radio accessible bands like Led Zeppelin or the Who.

But then to hear this band that jammed screwdrivers under their strings and played these really weird chord progressions and at times just made really vibrant noise at the very least excited me a whole lot. The music was dark, thunderous, dissonant, and also extremely beautiful and intoxicating.

Sonic Youth has one of the most distinguished and memorable discographies on record I think. And they're one of the fewer bands that I can think of that regularly um, not reinvent themselves but just explore a bunch of different ways of executing their music. I mean, NYC Ghosts and Flowers is almost the polar opposite of Dirty and both of those records are wonderful.

Yeah, amazing band, just amazing.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 04:52 AM   #10
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
"you must spread some reputation before giving it to asp for the murray street praise again!

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am down with all the sentiment on this thread.

everyone knows they are my fave band ever, in every respect, and the music joy joy they bring when they slide ther sonic fleshlight over my sonic penne-dulum is just amazing.

I alwaysd go back to sonic youth and I am invigorated, recharged

if I have been listening to one album too much, and thinking, man, maybe I am tired of sonic youth for now, I will put in an album from years before or years later and be reborn again
Old 08.16.2010, 10:08 AM   #12
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 12:23 PM   #13
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Count Mecha said it better than I can except I do listen to them weekly, more than any other band I know.
Old 08.16.2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am down with all the sentiment on this thread.

everyone knows they are my fave band ever, in every respect, and the music joy joy they bring when they slide ther sonic fleshlight over my sonic penne-dulum is just amazing.

I alwaysd go back to sonic youth and I am invigorated, recharged

if I have been listening to one album too much, and thinking, man, maybe I am tired of sonic youth for now, I will put in an album from years before or years later and be reborn again
It's all good and all that Rob. The only thing I find really surprising about yourself is that SY's influence on you seems to have had the effect of making you think that all rock music stopped rocking ''back then''. I personally find that a very un-SY attitude, or maybe we just assimilated their influence on ourselves in completely different ways.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 04:41 PM   #15
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
best thread of 2010.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 04:43 PM   #16
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I cannot help but laugh everytime SY blows my mind.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 05:34 PM   #17
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Recently I've been riding a big SY kick again. It's funny; Despite the fact I view this forum everyday and have for a couple years now, I go through phases with Sonic Youth where I enjoy them a lot and then get annoyed with them.

At the end of the day though, despite their flaws, I know they're still easily one of my favorite bands with some amazing records. I'll probably pull out some more SY for later listening.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2010, 12:39 AM   #18
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I don't listen to Sonic Youth as often as I did when I was first getting into them, but every time I do listen to them, I'm consistantly reminded why they are my favorite band and will probably continue to remain so for a long time to come.

The thing is, Sonic Youth have retained a lot of their onstage energy (not quite as much as they had in the 80s/early 90s, but enough of it) and NEVER put out a bad or sub-par album. Even though Rather Ripped was a bit bland at times and Murray Street and Sonic Nurse were acquired tastes for me at first, I could never bring myself to say any of them downright sucked.

Shouldn't this be under Sonic Gossip?
Old 08.17.2010, 08:20 AM   #19
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
sonic life
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2010, 08:59 AM   #20
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I love Sonic Youth.

First: I love Sonic Youth of the bottom of my heart. I have loved the band since I heard Goo first time, but three last years my Sonic Youth interest has became even more passionate.

Second: I´m very tired that everybody remember mention that "Rather ripped" and "the Eternal" sucks. Because I think they´re really good, as good as the other albums. Ok, it´s very common, that band changes boring when it comes to certain age (this has happened for example Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, the Who (little exception who´s last album was quite good)). But this will not happen all the bands and I truly think it hasn´t yet happen to Sonic Youth (It´s not happen also Nick Cave, Captain Beefheart, Jon Spencer and Tom Waits, I think Tom Waits last records are much better than his seventies records).

You have right to think that "The Eternal" sucks, but tell me why? I find the both last albums the same Sonic Youth-elements as the others: deadly beautiful melodies and the other hand very raw chaotic elements. And I think even they sound themselves, there is also something pure in their every album. So what´s is matter in those albums? Is it a question of belonging into a group? When somebody found that "Sonic Youth isn´t cooool anymore" everybody must have the same opinion and nobody can´t say against it (maybe fearing to be called an old fart).

Ok, if you truly, in the bottom of you heart think that Rather Ripped and the Eternal sucks, don´t keep on mentioning it all the time. You have said your opinion million times. I have said mine also many times, so I won´t say it anymore.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth