Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Headphones question
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I got these nice Zalman headphones as a free gift with a new turntable. Only problem is they appear to have three jacks (front-rear-center channels) instead of just one. Is there some kind of converter cable out there that can merge them into one jack so I can use them on my iPod or can I only use them with an input able to discretely recognize the three channels?
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I've scene a 1/4 inch converter so I'd imagine they convert down further.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 12:48 AM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I got these nice Zalman headphones as a free gift with a new turntable. Only problem is they appear to have three jacks (front-rear-center channels) instead of just one. Is there some kind of converter cable out there that can merge them into one jack so I can use them on my iPod or can I only use them with an input able to discretely recognize the three channels?

if you are only listening to stereo audio on your ipod, then you should just be able to plug say the front one in, i would think the front one would be carrying the front left and right of the surround audio, so the stereo file should in theory come out of this jack

or is it the fact that you want all of the drivers in the headphones to carry the stereo audio signal.

and it is carry the signal of six channels on the three jacks.

either way you may very well face impedance issues, however combining the actual signal path technically isn't difficult... you may find an adapter for the three mini jacks to one mini jack but the extra weight on the headphone input on the ipod may very well cause some damage to the ipod itself.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks. Using the front one alone on my iPod sounds a bit off, but if I play around with the EQ I eventually get a decent mix. I'm a bit of a retarded child at the moment and can't seem to find any such adapter on Google. Can you link me to one of those perhaps? I don't plan on using the 'phones exclusively for iPod use.. it could be for my PC or something else, I just want to be able to get some use out of them.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 02:37 AM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Thanks. Using the front one alone on my iPod sounds a bit off, but if I play around with the EQ I eventually get a decent mix. I'm a bit of a retarded child at the moment and can't seem to find any such adapter on Google. Can you link me to one of those perhaps? I don't plan on using the 'phones exclusively for iPod use.. it could be for my PC or something else, I just want to be able to get some use out of them.

they would be very easy to make... i wouldn't know if you could buy one or not
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth