Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I Find It Really Strange That I Get Demonized for the Break-Up of Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.24.2016, 01:23 AM   #21
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I have loved every SY album.

Same here

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2016, 03:08 AM   #22
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Never understood how people are thinking Jim was so important to SY. Of course he is a great musician and fully brought his part to SY, but SY made great records before him and made them also after him. The same logic I could say how Jim Schlavunos was so important to SY (I really think he was the greatest drummer in SY even he played only in Confusion).

Also, I donīt think Jimīs influence to ATL was very big. Yes, they made SYR3 before releasing ATL, but in SYR3 jams are no base of ATL (theyīre all in SYR2 where Jim isnīt with). There are also no mentions about him in texts of ATL or album cover. I believe they just have fun when making SYR3.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2016, 09:44 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Jim was there just to T-dawg could steal his old girlfriend....
Old 02.24.2016, 02:07 PM   #24
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have loved every SY album.

I'll third that.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2016, 02:12 PM   #25
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Nurse is a good SY/O'Rourke album. But not the best SY album. Bad Moon Rising blows it out of the water
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2016, 02:49 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Never understood how people are thinking Jim was so important to SY. Of course he is a great musician and fully brought his part to SY, but SY made great records before him and made them also after him. The same logic I could say how Jim Schlavunos was so important to SY (I really think he was the greatest drummer in SY even he played only in Confusion).

Also, I donīt think Jimīs influence to ATL was very big. Yes, they made SYR3 before releasing ATL, but in SYR3 jams are no base of ATL (theyīre all in SYR2 where Jim isnīt with). There are also no mentions about him in texts of ATL or album cover. I believe they just have fun when making SYR3.

It was the energy he clearly brought, especially playing live, that clearly gave SY a huge spark. Further its undeniable that after he got involved on that SYR that the band shifted gears towards a more experimental approach to music. Personally i think 98-2004 is PEAK sonic youth.

Also i understand that Jim worked on the production of ATL and its clear production is a huge part of the overall sound and feel of that record. Plus, lets be honest, Jim is a lot pf funny but his music channels that darker more Alice in the Looking Glass feel than the facetious tounge in cheek darkness that was previously SY preferred approach.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2016, 03:04 PM   #27
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Also i understand that Jim worked on the production of ATL

he did?
Old 02.24.2016, 03:13 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I its undeniable that after he got involved on that SYR that the band shifted gears towards a more experimental approach to music. .

I think that this underserves the HUGE experimental leaps SY took between 1981 and Jim joining. What Jim did was take SY into nerd-wonk "experimental", which had NO vitality and instead seems like the end-result of a trust-fund-supported college dropout trying very hard to make "weird sounds".

I saw them live before Jim, during Jim, and after Jim, and the only benefit to Jim being there live was that it freed up Kim to dance and take a more central stage persona. Jim seemed to HATE being on stage live. he is a studio wonk. more power to him, but the things I love about SY were there before Jim, and they never really returned post-jim....
Old 02.24.2016, 03:16 PM   #29
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but the things I love about SY were there before Jim, and they never really returned post-jim....

the things I love about SY were there before, during, and after Jim.
Old 02.25.2016, 12:59 AM   #30
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
I agree 100% with this statement. And notice how only 1 of those songs is T-dog's (PS doesn't count).

It's funny how post-Jim SY I tend to favor more Lee and Kim songs. Generally speaking, I usually gravitate towards Thurston's songs on Murray Street and Sonic Nurse as well as most of the songs that he wrote with the band pre-Jim.

Quote:
Rather Ripped really sounds like it picked up from Washing Machine

This is exactly how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but the things I love about SY were there before Jim, and they never really returned post-jim....

I also agree with this. They body of work they did before Jim is certainly the most important. Though I love some albums more than others, I appreciate what Jim brought to the band in part because a new member to join any band that had been around as long as they had at the time in no small feat. But not only that, he brought something fresh to their sound without breaking the formula they built up for years. Murray Street and Sonic Nurse in particular are the closest albums that came to the masterpiece levels of EVOL/Sister/Daydream Nation/Goo/Dirty, in my opinion
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2016, 02:43 AM   #31
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the things I love about SY were there before, during, and after Jim.
Agree this 100%! Really hard to understand why people are saying SY lost something in RR, Eternal & SYR9. To me they all sound absolutely SY, of course they donīt offer anything new, but my opinion has always been SY hasnīt offer lots new after EVOL. They found their sound then and I am glad they have keep it. For their experimentalism, they started very experimental group (all first four album are really experimental, in Sister they started to go more conventional music). In Experimental jet set they started to go again back to more experimental and again back more conventional in Murray.

If Jim was so much in ATL, why no-one else than Such friend mention his name when writing about ATL? Has such friend some inside knowledge? Does Chris or Stu know something about it?

I donīt think there are really lots in common in Washing Machine & RR, RR has said as a little sister of Murray and I agree that. I think RR is the most melodic album of SY, I really love it because the SY melodies has always been the most important thing to me. So I could put RR easily the fifth greatest album of SY.

I believe people who say SY change in RR changed themselves, so they grew out from SY.
Old 02.25.2016, 04:39 PM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Not even his daughter wants to have anything to do with him or knows where he lives. This douchebag's ego obviously went too far.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2016, 04:49 PM   #33
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Also i understand that Jim worked on the production of ATL

seriously though... I don't think this is true.
Old 02.26.2016, 02:13 PM   #34
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Jim O'Rourke just made SY sound like Steely Dan.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2016, 04:09 PM   #35
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
No! Sy has never sound like Steely Dan (hope also never will).
Old 02.26.2016, 04:13 PM   #36
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think you're confusing the Jim Era with how it sounded when Jim left..

Also looking up things i see i indeed might be wrong about Jim being involved in ATL production though i could swear i remember reading that somewhere over the years.

Either way he definitely played a significant role in the Nurse material and that is my all time fav SY record and especially tour. For those who said he just allowed Kim to dance more sure but listen again to what he was actually playing, good shit. I love Kim but Jim was a superior musician and it showed in the overall craft of the Jim Era material.

Old 02.26.2016, 04:16 PM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Productionwise Nurse sounds like Steely Dan due to O'Rourke's crazed attention to every minute crisp detail. I don't dislike Steely Dan, but I don't think SY records should be more akin to the Dan either.
Old 02.26.2016, 05:08 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

It was definitely polished for an SY record. But i think it worked out perfectly and like i said he was even more important component for the stage shows

Old 02.26.2016, 05:14 PM   #39
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

I think he polished the life out of Nurse to the extent that just think about that record brings the smell of Pledge to my nose.
Old 02.26.2016, 05:19 PM   #40
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think he polished the life out of Nurse to the extent that just think about that record brings the smell of Pledge to my nose.
Sorry you feel that way, yall SYG folks have always been a tough crowd.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth