Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A simple question for stringed instrument players
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.22.2009, 04:32 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
all at once..

I know it sucks breaking in new strings, they are stiff, they get out of tune all the time BUT

it sucks even more to have that ONE string be stiff and get out of tune when the rest are fine. Plus it does feel nice to have a new set of strings once they get slightly worked in, nothing is smoother on the fingers than a new set of superlight 9s

the frequency depends on if you are peforming or not.. when I am in a band I change em ever 3-4 weeks.. not to often or I will have stage troubles staying in tune, but not to far apart lest they lose that sharp tone.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2009, 04:41 PM   #22
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I do gig, but I haven't gigged in a little while. I'll probably just change the one string this time, but if any more break in the near future, I'll change them all.

I agree with whomever said old strings sound better, but only with acoustics. In the beginning of my band, our singer played an acoustic that he almost never changed the strings on (largely because it was easier to hold the tuners and turn the guitar than to turn the tuners), and made the songs sound much darker...

swa(y): Having a Floyd is both a blessing and a curse. I bend strings alot, and I can get pretty slammin' on heavy rhythm parts, so I was always going out of tune between songs when I had a guitar with a hardtail or a regular trem. I don't do that as much with the Floyd. That said, changing strings can be a little more tedious, and as you pointed out, you're pretty much locked into one tuning. But I gave up playing in weird tunings a while ago because I felt whenever I used an altered tuning, I'd sound too much like Sonic Youth. Plus, I play a lot of leads/solos (not shredding, but soloing nonetheless-think Johnny Greenwood mixed with some wannabe J. Mascis/David Gilmour), and altered tunings aren't really suitable for that. But it's okay, since my band primarily plays in standard A440 and drop-D tunings. The drop-D tunings could be a problem until I got an EVH D-Tuna, which allows you to drop your low E string down to D just by pulling it out.
Old 09.22.2009, 04:46 PM   #23
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i change them all after a few months or weeks depending on the usage.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2009, 05:17 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
As soon as I get a guitar, I'll let it sit in the sun for a few months to get the strings rusty.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth