Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page seasonal affective disorder in the summer?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.09.2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Basically whenever it's warm and sunny I react very badly to it. I get bad headaches, I feel sick and most horribly, I get majorly depressed. Like so apathetic and hopeless. This only ever happens during the day when the sun is out.

Today was a very Summer day and I felt so horrible that I ended up crying. When the night dawned I felt a little better and managed to write some guitar parts (which I would never be motivated to do while feeling the way I did). My summer break this year is nearly 4 months and I don't know how I will survive it all, I'm DREADING having so much spare time with the weather like this, I'm nearly breaking down thinking about it. It was probably worse than usual today because I was in my house myself the whole day - all my friends are away somewhere - but I'm wondering, am I talking shit or this something that other people experience? This is not my imagination or an exaggeration.

I said to my parents about it but they just said I was a weirdo and shrugged it off. I'm not sure what I want out of this since none of you are doctors (except diesel) but I was just wondering what your thoughts were..
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
SAD happens in the summer, in answer to one of your questions. The other ones are mostly your problem, I'm afraid.

Edit: Self-diagnosis is a very bad idea. Unless Diesel is around, go see a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2011, 07:14 PM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
um, im happier when its sunny out. a summer in tucson for me is a much happier experience than a winter in boston, i just hate the cold. i get pale, gain weight, lose energy. when people talk about loving the snow, all i can think of is shoveling my driveway at 6 a.m. with my dad when i was 8 years old.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yep, I'm booking an appointment very soon.
Quote:
um, im happier when its sunny out. a summer in tucson for me is a much happier experience than a winter in boston, for me.
That's the case with most people. I think I'm an oddity.
Old 04.09.2011, 07:22 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
but dude, if no one you know is around, any weather can suck. loneliness is loneliness. ive been there, and yes it does suck. people will say, "Just go make some friends."

and people dont realize how hard that is once you get to be in your 20's. thankfully, i moved past that period in my life and reconnected with old friends and made new ones. but being alone sucks. it's like, "I want to go the show tonight, fuck if I can't find anyone else to go," and then you do, but it really is lame despite how good the music is. Just hang in there, everyone goes through ruts.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Derek
invito al cielo

It's not really loneliness, it affects me even when out with friends. I don't mind being myself all day when it's raining or snowing.

And yeah, I've had the "you need to get new friends" talk.. it's easier said than done. And I'm not a social person really, I can't bring myself to small talk (I honestly shudder when I ask someone how they're doing) and friendships for me only really work if a) they have mutual interests (fat chance of that) or b) they get my humour (which what makes most kids at school think I'm 'weird' when in reality they're boring as fuck).
Old 04.09.2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
^ Haha oh man, if only you knew how much I can relate.

For me, parties are usually an annoyance. I'm not into drinking, already have a gf, and small talk is an absolute menace. I'm never interested in whatever bullshit anyone else is chatting about, and of course no one has a clue about anything I'd actually enjoy babbling about (most of the shit I talk about on here, I guess). Luckily, I skate by with juvenile one-line responses that always seem to win people over.

"Dude, I'm definitely giving you a first-hand invite to the next party I have..."
"What is that - like a handjob?"

Then the person I'm talking to, and all his bros erupt with laughter. Works every time. I take it, that I'm really funny when you're a drunken, 20-something year old American male.

I find it much easier to unwind after a long week, with a good film, my gf, and a few bowls between the two of us.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2011, 08:55 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
when I was your age...I never saw the sun, unless it was rising and I was headed to bed. it's a practical requirement of being a drug-crazed-teenager-that-your-mother-warned-you-about.

....diesel....is a doctor..?.? or do you mean street-pharmacist.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Here you go, Derek:

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
^ Haha oh man, if only you knew how much I can relate.

For me, parties are usually an annoyance. I'm not into drinking, already have a gf, and small talk is an absolute menace. I'm never interested in whatever bullshit anyone else is chatting about, and of course no one has a clue about anything I'd actually enjoy babbling about (most of the shit I talk about on here, I guess). Luckily, I skate by with juvenile one-line responses that always seem to win people over.

"Dude, I'm definitely giving you a first-hand invite to the next party I have..."
"What is that - like a handjob?"

Then the person I'm talking to, and all his bros erupt with laughter. Works every time. I take it, that I'm really funny when you're a drunken, 20-something year old American male.

I find it much easier to unwind after a long week, with a good film, my gf, and a few bowls between the two of us.
Yeah parties got boring fast for me. Most of the ones I go to now are just out of politeness (like if it's a good friend's birthday party). I find it a lot more comforting listening to music or watching a movie than entertaining people.

I only talk about music to maybe 2 people at most. Which is probably why I post here so much hah.

And yeah, diesel is a secret academic.
Old 04.10.2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I have the same as you, but reversed.
I get depressed during fall/winter instead and feeling better during spring/summer.

it sucks but you should talk to someone about it. it made me feel a bit better..
Edit: just read that you had made an appointment. Great man..hope things turns out better for you.
It sucks ass to be depressed like that. it's like walking around with sore feet but mentally. arghh
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 11:36 AM   #12
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I hate the summer too, get very moody when sunny.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 11:38 AM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

It's cause we're XIU XIU fans knox...

But yeah, I wonder what this doctor is gonna say. I'm willing to bet he won't be very helpful but who knows.
Old 04.10.2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
when I talked (but ofcourse all doctors are different), they talked about my life and relationship to the winter and that it was very normal.

I don't remember how many % of the population on earth whos suffering from it but it was A LOT!

I could choose if I wanted to use medication but I sait no since I don't want to be some pill-freak.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Derek
invito al cielo

Winter blues is very normal but Summer blues is much much less common. Around 7% of adult Americans suffer Winter SAD whereas less than 1% of the American population suffers from Reversal SAD (which is the Summer depression).

I personally love the Winter. Snow and rain is a very symbolic beauty to me, I write tons of music and poems during those weather phases but in the Summer my work rate slows right down to a halt where I feel useless. Luckily, my parents told me today that this weather isn't going to last long and it's going to become very cold and cloudy soon (for those of you not in the know, I live in Scotland where there is only ever sun in the Summer, most of the Autumn and Spring feature no significant increase in temperature or light exposure).
Old 04.10.2011, 12:59 PM   #16
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I def. feel shittier in the winter....plus there is no baseball.
Old 04.10.2011, 03:01 PM   #17
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
It's cause we're XIU XIU fans knox...

But yeah, I wonder what this doctor is gonna say. I'm willing to bet he won't be very helpful but who knows.

I never thought I needed to see a doctor.
I just thought I hate sweating, and happy cunts smiling around wearing shorts, because I am moody.
But I hope the doctor tells you how to fix it, then you can tell me and I can become a sweaty person who smiles and wears shorts.

Old 04.10.2011, 03:04 PM   #18
knox
invito al cielo

It's like people are expecting you to be all social and happy and smile when your SKIN is BURNING and you can't breathe or think. Everyone seems to be taken by this frenzy and you feel more judged than usual about the fact that you just want to contemplate things and read poems NOT GO TO THE BEACH AND PLAY SPORTS.

Old 04.10.2011, 03:05 PM   #19
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
funny. TOday fels like a hot summer day. I woke up this morning cold, went outside and almost immediately started sweating. It's 86 degreesoutside! It was like 50 yesterday.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 03:57 PM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'm more of a fall-time person, because that's when the witches come out.

so. goth.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth