Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Judging art submissions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2006, 12:03 PM   #1
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I brought this up last year I think, but the problem still vexes me.

So I'm running a community Art Festival. It's only our second year, but the first one went really well, so I'd like to continue the trend. I'm judge, jury, and executioner, so when it comes to submissions for entry, I'm the sole voice in deciding who's in and who's out. This is good (I'm a control freak) and bad (others' opinions in these instances would be beneficial).

Here's the thing - technically this is sponsored by a city, so to a degree, I have to be 'public-friendly,' and not alienate the general populace. However, I do want to implement some quality control, and not have shit art.

My problem is, how do I do this as objectively as possible? For example, I personally am not a huge fan of watercolor (depending on the subject/style). However, I can't let my own preferences exclude pieces that others might appreciate.

I thought about giving the festival a theme, but I'm afraid that will narrow down submissions too much.

I don't want the festival to be cluttered with landscapes, birds, Renoir-esque portraits, etc. However, I realize that my personal taste can't be used for universal criteria, so how/where do I draw the line? The first few festivals, when you're in your infant stages, are crucial to establishing reputation, so if these send out the wrong message, all subsequent festivals are doomed.

Any suggestions?
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Im this way with music, but I can be scincere.
I know when I here a good song, even if I don't like it. You should beable to tell by the art whether or not its good. What techniques they used, effort, style, origonality. I hate portaits.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 12:15 PM   #3
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Im this way with music, but I can be scincere.
I know when I here a good song, even if I don't like it. You should beable to tell by the art whether or not its good. What techniques they used, effort, style, origonality. I hate portaits.

It's not so much that I can't objectively deem its 'quality' - I just wonder if it's fair to exclude certain media/subjects that I don't think fit the profile of the festival.

Last year, this one woman did a series of charcoals of wildflowers. They were great, but very bucolic, and I couldn't help picturing them for sale in a Linens 'n Things next to the bedsheets. I don't want things like that to represent the festival.
Old 03.27.2006, 12:15 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hm, let's see.

if last year went really well & you want that my first thought is just keep doing what you're doing.

however if you're looking to discharge some of the overwhelming responsibilities on other people (hah), i'd establish some kind of "board" where you can dump these decisions. invite some local luminaries to judge/curate the exhibit. preferrably someone who gives 2 shits about art, and has a clue, or you'll end up with an exhibit of coffee mugs and ceramic poodles.

well a "board" or what not would help also to establish the reputation of the festival by adding name recognition etc. would also take the heat off the organization if somebody is not happy.

setting up would just take a few bold phone calls/emails and maybe sorting out a meeting. then you'd have the perfect excuse to meet them as well. depending on your town you could have tons of choices or maybe you're stuck w/ the mayor & the fire department
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 12:36 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh btw

that "dumping responsibilities" i meant ironically

you can't realistically be expected to decide EVERYTHING & not get a world class migraine
Old 03.27.2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I remember you talking about last year's event. From what I remember you ha been really nevous about it but delighted afterwards with how it went. I believe you also said that it was all done pretty much off you own back, so all things considered, I wouldn't change too much.

Personally, given what you say of the sponsor, then you probably [i]should[i] try to represent a braod church.

If you want certain styles to represent the festival, however, then you can always go for some strategic positioning of certain displays.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 12:41 PM   #7
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hm, let's see.

if last year went really well & you want that my first thought is just keep doing what you're doing.

however if you're looking to discharge some of the overwhelming responsibilities on other people (hah), i'd establish some kind of "board" where you can dump these decisions. invite some local luminaries to judge/curate the exhibit. preferrably someone who gives 2 shits about art, and has a clue, or you'll end up with an exhibit of coffee mugs and ceramic poodles.

well a "board" or what not would help also to establish the reputation of the festival by adding name recognition etc. would also take the heat off the organization if somebody is not happy.

setting up would just take a few bold phone calls/emails and maybe sorting out a meeting. then you'd have the perfect excuse to meet them as well. depending on your town you could have tons of choices or maybe you're stuck w/ the mayor & the fire department

Theoretically that's a great idea - however, most of the festivals in this general area are all around the same time of the year, so the local art folk I've hit up are already engaged. Being a relatively unestablished festival, they'll opt to sit on the committees of other, more traditional festivals before they will mine.

Also, I'm 24, look about 12, my degree is in literature/history, not art, and this is only the second festival I've ever thrown. So suffice it to say, I'm often not taken seriously. Fuckin biased pricks.
Old 03.27.2006, 12:48 PM   #8
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Trunck-

The way I see it (and keep in mind that I have zero training in art), there are three criteria: the technical quality of works, originality, and whether they fit into what you think the festival should be (your taste). The technical criterion should not take style, originality, content, etc. into consideration.
You could judge it like Iron Chef - give each work a score from 1 to 10 in the 3 criteria.
I don't think that letting your personal taste exclude works is wrong at all. That's why you're in charge - the festival should reflect your personal taste.
Good luck.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 12:53 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Also, I'm 24, look about 12, my degree is in literature/history, not art, and this is only the second festival I've ever thrown. So suffice it to say, I'm often not taken seriously. Fuckin biased pricks.

oh, that...

well you have 2 choices from where i stand

a) before going about getting a board together, find a large-sized helper. have this person use his/her magik powers to conjure up a board.

from a more experienced older person you can learn a lot on how to run things. usually they will relate to you as some kind of psychological offspring and while you'll have to give up some of the control you'll learn a lot from the experience. the very fact that your are 24 and look about 12 will actually help you find a person who is looking to mentor someone.

so your job is simpler when you only have to find 1 (one) heavyweight.

the other option: being that there is no such thing as bad publicity: go for scandal! choose as theme "alternative lifestyles". then invite the local high schools. sit back & watch.

--

if nothing works maybe something else. i'd try finding some kind of mentor however...

Old 03.27.2006, 12:56 PM   #10
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
!@#$%!'s suggestion seems like a very good one.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:07 PM   #11
truncated
invito al cielo

It is a good idea - however, I cringe at the thought of batting my eyelashes and simpering, "Can you like, teach me how to like, do this? Cuz it's SUPER hard."

Nah, I know what you mean, I just have to swallow my pride.

And the local high school idea is great, if I don't mind being fired the following Monday morning.
Old 03.27.2006, 01:28 PM   #12
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
If it was me, I'd probably just exclude all the pieces I thought were bad no matter of subject/media first, then single out the best works and imagine the ones that you are dubious about being next to them and see if they bring down how you look at the best works for example

I dunno if that's illustrated well by showing amateurs against highly acclaimed artist, but you get my drift i hope

in fact instead of making the van gogh look bad, it just makes the amatuers look even more pedestrian
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:32 PM   #13
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
maybe you could put things into sub sections i.e watercolours, landscapes, still life, abstract whatever etc. then if people give you yet another watercolour painting of the family cat then you can say that we have enough for that section and turn them down.

i know it must be hard and awful to turn someones art away, even if it is an awful landscape. i would hate to do that.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:39 PM   #14
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow

I dunno if that's illustrated well by showing amateurs against highly acclaimed artist, but you get my drift i hope

in fact instead of making the van gogh look bad, it just makes the amatuers look even more pedestrian

Hey shut up I have that horse in my bathroom
Old 03.27.2006, 01:53 PM   #15
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
heh sorry but i was just using it to illustrate my point

oh and remember that some people will be annoyed no matter what you choose
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:56 PM   #16
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
heh sorry but i was just using it to illustrate my point

oh and remember that some people will be annoyed no matter what you choose

Haha, I was joking. What do you take me for?

Yeah, I know I'm bound to offend someone. But if their art is bad, well, fuck 'em. Better to learn the truth now, eh?
Old 03.27.2006, 01:58 PM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Old 03.27.2006, 02:34 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hey hm no need to kiss ass or playing the tard w/ this mentor thing person.

just find an older more experienced human w/ power + loads of dinero that you get along with (hah hah) & let them use their influence & show you the ropes.

can be a professor, someone in the city government, an artist/curator you admire, a "patron of the arts", a community activist, etc.

no, they won't ask you to be subservient, just respectful, but often they might have their own agendas & it's a matter of keeping in mind you both benefit from the deal.
Old 03.27.2006, 02:44 PM   #19
truncated
invito al cielo

Thanks Hip Priest & Noumenal, for your suggestions - for some reason your posts didn't initially show up? Hmmm...

!@#$%, you're right, but those people are just generally a pain in the ass (I do love blanket judgements!). I find those in my community that are prominent in the art world to be pseudo-intellectuals who are condescending and basically insufferable.

Last year I got all this criticism from my former high school art teacher, who, while having a Master's, I remember distinctly hiding out in the supply closet during photography and getting stoned. He also agreed to do a series of lectures on Ansel Adams at the behest of another teacher who habitually blew him behind the school generator.

Artsy pricks.
Old 03.27.2006, 02:49 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh! school teachers have neither power nor money.

cmon! there's gotta be an old eccentric you get along with

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth