Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Wire Magazines Best of 2013
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.11.2013, 12:29 PM   #1
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
1. Julia Holter - Loud City Song

2. Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain
3. Rashad Becker - Traditional Music of Notational Species vol 1
4. Richard Dawson - The Glass Trunk
5. Tim Hecker - Virgins
6. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
7. RP Boo - Legacy
8. Wolf Eyes - No Answer: Lower Floors
9. Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet - Photographs
10. The Knife - Shaking The Habitual

11. Kanye West - Yeezus
12. DJ Rashad - Double Cup
13. Autechre - Exai
14. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Two: Mississippi Moonchile
15. Dennis Johnson - November
16. Pharmakon - Abandon
17. Okkyung Lee - Ghil
18. These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
19. eMMplekz - Your Crate Has Changed
20. Main - Ablation
21. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
22. Fire! Orchestra - Exit
23. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
24. Alasdair Roberts and Friends - A Wonder Working Stone
25. Young Echo - Nexus
26. Dean Blunt - The Redeemer
27. James Holden - The Inheritors
28. Sleaford Mods - Austerity Dogs
29. Eliane Radigue - Psi 847
30. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
31. Else Marie Pade and Jacob Kirkegaard - Svaevninger
32. The Dead C - Armed Courage
33. The Outer Church - Various
34. Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
35. Forest Swords - Engravings
36. Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back
37. AtomTM - HD
38. Ashley Paul - Line The Clouds
39. The Necks - Open
40. Endless Boogie - Long Island
41. G*Park - Sub
42. Juana Molina - Wed 21
43. Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
44. Special Request - Soul Music
45. Stellar OM Source - Joy One Mile
46. John Wizards - John Wizards
47. James Ferraro - NYC, Hell 3:00am
48. Call Back The Giants - The Marianne
49. Grumbling Fur - Glynnaestra
50. Jem Finer and Andrew Kotting - Visionary Seascapes

Never really understood the hype around Julia Holter, maybe i'll go back and revisit her album. Kind of surprised Body/Head didn't make it onto the list.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2013, 01:08 PM   #2
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
I swear to god the writers at The Wire want to get with Laurel Halo. Then again, who wouldn't?

Great list though. Probably should have waited until Burial puts out his EP this month, but whatever. I like how the included more "regular" music than their usual lists of improv and drone albums. Sure it might seem a bit pretentious, but come on, it's The Wire. Unlike most lists I've seen where they simply switch around the order of the top 25 albums, they shoot for something a little different and more interesting.

Pretty well the only music sites I listen to are The Quietus, Tiny Mix Tapes (WARNING: DO NOT READ THE REVIEWS THEY ARE AWFUL), The Wire and Resident Advisor. Any other good sites for a fan of skronk rock, electronic music and weird experimental shit?

I'm still amazed by the direction These New Puritans have taken. When they first started out they were this terrible Bloc Party imitation (another horrible band), but now they've morphed into one of my favourite new bands.

Are Main really good?

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2013, 01:11 PM   #3
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Also, the infatuation experimental music critics have with footwork amazes me. I can't believe how a small urban Chicago dance scene has exploded over the internet like it has. I love it.

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2013, 01:32 PM   #4
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Main are awesome. Hampson has made some of my favourite ambient/drone albums. The new one is terrific, it is really spooky and haunting. It's worth working through their discography though, I'm not sure how familiar with Hampson's work but it's interesting to note the progression from Loop to Main.

On Main's earlier albums it still features the droning minimalist repetition on guitars that was pretty much a hallmark of Loop's sound but it slowly becomes more abstract with Hampson switching to synthesizers and ends up sounding closer to music concrete.

And yes i agree with you on Tiny Mix Tape, they have an interesting site which always introduces me to good music. But most of their reviews read like a 3rd year philosophy essay.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2013, 01:47 PM   #5
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Please, pick your favorite tracks and post here:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...d.php?t=103490
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2013, 01:52 PM   #6
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses
I've never been too impressed with Laurel Halo or Julia Holter (kinda liked her first album). I just find them both sort of boring, I like how Laurel Halo cut out the singing but still kind of dull. However, I only gave it one listen

I like footwork, but RP Boo - Legacy didn't really work with me, I found it hard to get through the album.

That being said, pretty good list, my top 20 would include many of those album.
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth