Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I just listened to the Arctic Monkeys
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2006, 12:21 PM   #1
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
And I'm considering suing whoever it was on this board that endorsed them for emotional damages.

Did these guys actually sit around and think to themselves, "Hey, we sound pretty decent. We're actually producing something of worth. Let's make an album!"

I wonder how they sleep at night, knowing they are a turd of the indie genre - digested, shat out, and looking exactly the same as every other floater out there.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, I literally laughed when hearing this. I haven't heard them yet, and I really don't know if I want to judging by the responses I've been getting about them from friends. Apparently they're just another indie band, but hey, whatever floats their boat! I can't really judge them myself sinde I haven't heard them
Old 03.21.2006, 12:45 PM   #3
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
They're not even just inoffensively shitty - they're so contrived it's painful. I'm still in shock. The exaggeration of regional colloquialisms makes me SPASM
Old 03.21.2006, 02:14 PM   #4
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them on SNL and they were terrible, the best part was during the second song someone in the audience was visibly yawning and one of the bandmembers felt the need to point it out DURING the song. Even they know they're lame.
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
'm never going to deliberately listen to them, but can't really see what all the hatred is about either. They write catchy guitar songs with OK lyrics, not my kind of thing really, but not offensive or anything either. It's not like they're the Foo Fighters.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
ARRRGH, if more of you boarders were in England (Priest excepted) you'd UNDERSTAND the hatred.

They're EVERYWHERE. England's going through this whole faux-indie obsession nowadays. And by faux-indie I mean kids playing pop rock dressed in polo shirts. They're every supposedly trendy 19 year-old girl's dream. And everyone else's worst nightmare. Music for bars. Music for airports. Music for adverts. I honestly wouldn't take issue for them, save for idiots lavishing them with FAR TOO MUCH PRAISE. Their amateurish lyrics seem almost entirely tailored to appease the student demographic.

...I could go and re-write that rant to make it coherent or something. But whatever. Suffice to say, they're shit, but everyone thinks they're shit-hot.
Jt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 02:37 PM   #7
truncated
invito al cielo

What I find offensive about them (and many other bands) is their underestimation of their audience. They're trying to pass off gimmicky, recycled music as innovative and worthwhile, which dumbs down their collective audience. Their song titles alone make me vaguely nauseous, and there's a moment in a song I believe is called "Scummy" where the singer (whose name I've already forgotten) makes a point of enunciating "summat."

I mean, REALLY.

I'm probably being unfair and overly harsh, and most of the responsibility really lies with the imbeciles who are swallowing this afterbirth. But why, WHY are we being inundated with all of these shaggy-haired, cuffed-jeaned, unshaven, corduroy-sporting, indie-sucking bands?

Somebody make it stoppppppp
Old 03.21.2006, 02:38 PM   #8
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
ARRRGH, if more of you boarders were in England (Priest excepted) you'd UNDERSTAND the hatred.

They're EVERYWHERE. England's going through this whole faux-indie obsession nowadays. And by faux-indie I mean kids playing pop rock dressed in polo shirts. They're every supposedly trendy 19 year-old girl's dream. And everyone else's worst nightmare. Music for bars. Music for airports. Music for adverts. I honestly wouldn't take issue for them, save for idiots lavishing them with FAR TOO MUCH PRAISE. Their amateurish lyrics seem almost entirely tailored to appease the student demographic.

...I could go and re-write that rant to make it coherent or something. But whatever. Suffice to say, they're shit, but everyone thinks they're shit-hot.

Hear hear!
Old 03.21.2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt

I agree that the excessive adulation has pased the point of stupidity and sped into as yet uncharted inanity.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Exactly. They'll sell a few million though. Because, well... life's a bitch.
Old 03.21.2006, 05:39 PM   #11
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I used to think the same thing. I seen them on SNL and it was decent but not something worth 10 bucks for an album.

Hell, Its not even worth the fucking mbs on my computer to download it.
Old 03.21.2006, 06:27 PM   #12
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Its not that theyre bad, its that theyre everywhere. theyre better than the indie band shit thats been popular the last couple of years (Franz ferdinand, Kaiser Cheifs etc)
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 06:55 PM   #13
Hannah
little trouble girl

Hannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's assesHannah kicks all y'all's asses
Jt is right.

But the Kaiser Chiefs are worse! I swear of it. Do not listen to the Kaiser Chiefs!
Hannah is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 07:00 PM   #14
perdrix
empty page

perdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's asses
i dont like the arctic monkeys but from what ive heard they dont seem to me to be overly exagerating their regional accents. its not really on a par with the sickening faux working class london wide boy act that blur seemed to milk in the nineties. i give the arctic monkeys the benefit of the doubt on this one. they are still pretty shit though.
perdrix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 07:12 PM   #15
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I agree so much. It was amazing how little fanfare they got during SNL. The NME really needs to learn that hype can kill.
Old 03.21.2006, 09:12 PM   #16
Jt
children of satan

It goes beyond the Arctic Monkeys though... NME's by-students-for-students ethos leads to a skyful of shit being praised as THE NEXT BIG THING when, in actuality, it's metaphorical dog-turd, rated highly on the basis of a) band members looking fashionable, b) lyrics being earnest and/or "clever" (for a fifteen year-old schoolboy poet, that is) and c) guitars being choppy/*angular* (oooh!) ...ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

The thing is, right, NME used to be THE place to scope out new bands. Nowadays it's all about Pete Doherty, Bloc Party, the Stone Roses and "mushrooms". Grow up you semi-literate musically retarded fucks.
Old 03.21.2006, 10:34 PM   #17
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
the artic monkeys?the artic whatever.Whatevr people say i am i am not?ok,hmmmmm,whatever.......
porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 04:22 AM   #18
towerhamlets
little trouble girl

towerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's assestowerhamlets kicks all y'all's asses
I'm so tired of hearing about the Arctic Monkeys. There's just nothing innovative or special about them, as far as I can tell.
towerhamlets is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 04:32 AM   #19
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
They are very easy to hate, but I like it, it's not the fifth best record from the uk. but I think it's solid, so maybe I'm a sucker for contrived dumb shit rock? or maybe it's just a lot easier to renounce something, than to say you like something you know you'll get shit for? fuckindiecred.

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 05:38 AM   #20
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i agree with Hannah anf JT
the arctic monkeys are all over Ireland and the UK its like if you drink too much coffee in the morning and your dropping the kids off at the pool all day!!
the kaiser chiefs and just painful, that guy in the band with the kinda william tell hat... fuckin hell i wanna kick his teeth in, i say a group of us storm their website and shout obsenities at them.
fishmonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth