Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Megaphonic Thrift (SY-influenced norwegian supergroup)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.05.2010, 01:48 AM   #1
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.myspace.com/megaphonicthrift

Quote:
The Megaphonic Thrift: Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr. may have built their legends on late-'80s underground-rock classics like 'Sister' and 'You're Living All Over Me,' but for a new generation of indie kids, the real canon fodder is those bands' respective early-'90s major-label debuts, 'Goo' and 'Green Mind.' Oslo quintet the Megaphonic Thrift couldn't be more '90s if you slapped them on a 'Reality Bites' DVD reissue, sporting all the requisite signifiers -- flannel shirts, Converse one-stars, cute female bass player -- but, more importantly, enough hard-hitting but hook-laden noise-pop jams to keep a nation of dorm-room slackers daydreaming for many moons to come.

more sounds
Code:
http://www.nrk.no/urort/Artist/TheMegaphonicThrift/default.aspx

The Megaphonic Thrift just released their album Decay Decoy a few days ago in Norway and played at the By:larm festival, getting rave reviews.
Later this month they'll play at the SXSW-festival.

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2010, 12:09 PM   #2
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Fucking awesome! I love Norwegians.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2010, 04:19 AM   #3
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
needs an european release now

Old 05.10.2010, 03:49 AM   #4
sy2004
stalker

UK tour coming up soon, go check them out, sounding even more like SY live:
Quote:
Norway’s finest The Megaphonic Thrift are set to embark on a UK tour this month, playing a number of shows around the country. After releasing the brilliant A Thousand Years Of Deconstruction the band have gone from strength to strength catching the eye of A Place To Bury Strangers. The opportunity to see Megaphonic showcase their talents in such intimate surroundings is one not be missed.
They are playing the following dates:

13 May – The Great Escape at Ocean Rooms, Brighton
14 May – The Great Escape at Queens Hotel, Brighton
18 May – Hare and Hound, Birmingham *
19 May – The Harley, Sheffield *
21 May – Stag And Dagger-festival at Rough Trade East, London
22 May – Stealth, Nottingham
23 May – Deaf Institute, Manchester *
24 May – Oakford, Reading
25 May – Heaven, London *
* Dates with A Place To Bury Strangers
/
http://www.deadlypeople.co.uk/2010/0...thrift-uk-tour

it would be great to find some bootlegs of these gigs afterwards

Old 05.10.2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Are you entirely happy just to describe your music as a bit like something else? That seems an odd way to sell a gig, to me. I would go and watch you, but I'm not in any of those cities (well, I'm probably in Birmingham on the 18th, but watching something else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2010, 06:53 AM   #6
sy2004
stalker

hah, it's not me, The Megaphonic Thrift but their album sounds great and they get very good reviews. Comparison to Sonic Youth was made by media but it's quite clear that they are sonic fans too. So if you're around, try them out. I know I would but I'm not in the UK. And for now, they don't play over here (I think).

Old 04.25.2011, 06:22 PM   #7
DaveCromwell
bad moon rising

DaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, here it is. Search function works good ;-)

Yeah, I'm torn about this. Usually I love stuff that sounds somewhat like SY - but really - this is almost like John Cafferty and Beaver Brown-to-Springsteen. I mean - they litterally took huge chunks of SY songs and sorta rewrote 'em. And call them their own. They even got a guy whoo sings like Thurston - and a guy who sings like Lee - I liked it at first - but then it started to kinda annoy me. Maybe its me . . . .

http://davecromwellwrites.blogspot.com

My Interview with Oliver Ackermann of A Place To Bury Strangers (we discuss Sonic Youth at points):

http://davecromwellwrites.blogspot.com/2010/09/oliver-ackermann-aptbs-interview.html

Other stuff I've written (where I always seems to mention Sonic Youth):

http://nyc.thedelimagazine.com/node/2846

--

http://mog.com/blog_post/content/4016/2089877
DaveCromwell is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2011, 06:47 PM   #8
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
hmmmm

not bad.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2011, 08:44 PM   #9
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, you guys remember when I read the description of True Widows first album and said "without hearing it, I can safely say I have a 66% chance of liking this album!"

Well of course not you weren't there, but it turned out to be quite a mutually beneficial relationship (I purchase CDs from them, they fill my ears with wonderful sounds) and I hope this relationship promises to be the same, I'll get back to you when I hear beyond the description (which have been known to be somewhat deceptive) and can make a formal opinion on my willingness to purchase an album from this band y/n
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2011, 09:40 AM   #10
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Really dug what I heard, good stuff! Would definitely purchase an album by these Norwegians........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2011, 03:09 PM   #11
sy2004
stalker

Queen Of Noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceyhe0vqDmo

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth