Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Basketball Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2013, 07:59 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

I noticed you're rooting for the Spurs, while its an obvious choice for you..

Good luck with that

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
So now it looks like I will have to give in and support the mercenary that just signed with my beloved Houston Rockets. The NBA will be more exciting this next season for Houston fans, that's for sure.

The only thing in all this that has me hopeful is that Dream has stated he will continue to work with Dwight Howard to improve his game. Hopefully he actually focuses and does so.
Old 07.08.2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Can Dream teach Howard this move?

Old 07.08.2013, 03:24 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
No. But Dwight doesn't need the Dream to help Houston. He just has to keep his head straight. Dwight got pissed at Kobe for taking all the shots, well newsflash, James Harden takes the third most shots per game in the league (right behind Carmelo Anthony and just ahead of Russell Westbrook, ok I'm exaggerating a bit but he did rank 10th). Further, Dwight was pissed at Lakers lack of defensive effort, well, Rockets had the 23rd ranked defense (essentially they sucked) which means Dwight has stepped backwards a bit. So y'all in Houston will have to wait and see. Either way he is sure to give you 17-18 ppg and 11-12 rebounds..

Old 07.08.2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Going from Yao to now:

This time last season, Kevin Martin was the Rockets best player.

Towards the end of last Summer, Commissioner David Stern rejected a three team trade between the Houston Rockets, New Orleans Hornets and LA Lakers. The two key parts of the trade was Chris Paul going to the Lakers and Paul Gasol ending up with the Rockets.

The week before the start of the 2012/13 NBA Season, Rockets GM Daryl Morey basically trades Kevin Martin for James Hardin. On Wednesday, Dwight Howard will sign a contract with the Houston Rockets.

In under a years time, Daryl Morey was able to take a player (Kevin Martin) who isn't one of the top 20 in the NBA and somehow turned his trade into two NBA players who are easily two of the top 15 players in the league......and this was done so by NOT giving up any First Round Draft Picks!

Dwight Howard has averaged 18.3 pts and 12.9 rebounds in his carrier, only four players have EVER done so in a Rockets uniform.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I am down. I just want to see how it will all work out.

Harden is a heavy assist guy though, and a pick n roll man, which Dwight loves to do. The Rockets just need to get a true PF.
Old 07.08.2013, 03:38 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am down. I just want to see how it will all work out.

Harden is a heavy assist guy though, and a pick n roll man, which Dwight loves to do. The Rockets just need to get a true PF.
So was Lebron and Stephen Curry and yet BOTH those players were in the top five for shot-attempts-per-game

Old 07.08.2013, 03:39 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
and a pick n roll man, which Dwight loves to do. The Rockets just need to get a true PF.

No he doesn't. While Dwight was the third-most pick-and-roll big in the league last year, he did it absolutely reluctantly, begrudgingly even. Bizarrely, Dwight DOESN'T really use the pick and roll very well..

Old 07.08.2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Early this morning while listening to CBS Sports Radio, I heard an interview of a reporter who covers the LA Lakers (can't remember the Reporters name).

Basically, he was saying how the people and fans in Los Angeles are sort of warped with their views of the Lakers. He pointed out the "sad reality" is Kobe Bryant has now run a second Big Time Center out of LA because the center was receiving too much attention.

The reporter asked the following question to the shows host: how many times has the LA Lakers w/ Kobe Bryant made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs without a Big Time Center - - - TWO.
Old 07.08.2013, 03:42 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Early this morning while listening to CBS Sports Radio, I heard an interview of a reporter who covers the LA Lakers (can't remember the Reporters name).

Basically, he was saying how the people and fans in Los Angeles are sort of warped with their views of the Lakers. He pointed out the "sad reality" is Kobe Bryant how now run a second Big Time Center out of LA because the center was receiving too much attention.

The reporter asked the following question to the shows host: how many times has the LA Lakers w/ Kobe Bryant made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs without a Big Time Center - - - TWO.

Correction, Kobe chased away two-time Champion Andrew Bynum and realistically was a nixed trade away from chasing away two-time Champion Pau Gasol too

But it is what it is, Dwight left for the very obvious reason that in LA he didn't like anybody, players, coach, or management to tell him what to do. The guy is a spoiled baby, which was what he was all his years in Orlando, and so he went to Rockets because he is now the oldest guy on their roster and for some reason believes he will be the natural leader of the team. He also believes he can boss around Rockets' management and staff. TWO-TO-ONE bet Dwight finds out he's wrong on both accounts

Old 07.08.2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
No he doesn't. While Dwight was the third-most pick-and-roll big in the league last year, he did it absolutely reluctantly, begrudgingly even. Bizarrely, Dwight DOESN'T really use the pick and roll very well..

Last year Dwight was recovering from surgery no?
Old 07.08.2013, 03:52 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yes, but that wasn't the issue with pick and rolls. The reality is Dwight doesn't have enough footwork to pull them off consistently as his go-to play which is what most expect. Its not just dunks, the pick and roll requires some great in-the-post footwork and ball control, something Dwight has always been missing. Its why he never needed a great point-guard in Orlando, because he doesn't really pick and roll, its more of a catch and dunk. I am sure that Dwight will have a lot of pick and roll plays in Houston, to question is will he WANT do to that or ENJOY it because he left Lakers because he wasn't enjoying their style of play, which was actually very similar to this version of the Rockets. High paced offense, minimal effort on help defense, and pick and roll the hell out of teams. When the Lakers played their best games with Howard, it was with Howard and Pau Gasol doing what I call "double barrel pick and rolls" attacking from each side or even just barreling up the middle of the lane. THAT is exactly the kind of game that Howard DOESN'T want to play. In Orlanda what Dwight did was drives to the basket and either (a) put up a dunk because he has minimal post-up shooting similar or (b) kick it out to one of Orlando's FOUR three-point shooters. Its a strategy that Miami improvises when they surround Lebron with multiple shooters and call it "spreading the floor"

Dwight spreads the floor fantastically, but it by definition puts the ball in another players hands, something which increasingly Dwight as resented the past few years..

By the way, I am not trying to be hater in the least. Dwight played a great season in LA, we loved to have had him, he bailed out our injury decimated year by helping carry us into the play-offs (keep in mind all the hate on Kobe/Lakers and they STILL haven't missed the play-offs since 2005 ). Bytor was right, Kobe has never advanced without a solid big man on the roster, but why is that surprising? VERY few teams if ANY not named the Lebron James era Miami Heat have ever taken small ball to even the Conference Finals let alone the Championship. That is just basketball 101. Its how Rockets got back-to-back Championships in the 1990s, and it is what made the Heat's recent few years so remarkable and so upsetting to the NBA. The Heat have simply revolutionized basketball in a way that will never be the same. Teams will realize with the right combination of athleticism, shooting accuracy, and BALLS you can win not just one, but multiple championships thriving on "small-ball"

Old 07.08.2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Quote:

So was Jeremy Lin.

Lance Zierlein had former Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy in the studio a few months back and JVG said he looked for Jeremy Lin to have a huge second year with the Rockets. JVG pointed out how Jeremy Lin didn't have any preseason time with the Rockets because he was still recovering from his surgery, add this to everything changing with the Rockets signing Jame Harden a few days before the season started......Jeremy Lin should feel / play more comfortably with a full preseason.

Bottom line, trades DON'T guarantee anything. However, they can make you a better team and improve your chances. There is no doubt the Rockets have done this......at least the boys in Vegas think so:

To Win The 2014 NBA Championship

Miami Heat +260

Oklahoma City Thunder +700

San Antonio Spurs +1000

Brooklyn Nets +1200

Houston Rockets +1200

LA Clippers +1300

LA Lakers +4000
Old 07.08.2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Old 07.08.2013, 04:41 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Jeremy Lin is trade bait. Even if he has a break-out season (which I agree, he probably will, statistically last year put him in the top-15 point guards in the league, and that was playing admittedly shitty and recovering from surgery), it will only INCREASE is attraction as a trade piece. Houston has had an identity crisis the past few years, they wanted to become a team of superstars, and now they have three of the biggest names in the NBA over the past few years, and instead, they appear like a hodge-podge collection of stars, not a cohesive team with a solid identity. So I wouldn't be surprised to see some pieces get traded away, and Lin is prime-real estate for that. I honestly though it would be a sign-and-trade for Dwight with Lin-Asik to LA, which by the way is still a possibility in the long run, just obviously as a straight up trade, not a sign-and-trade deal.

Dwight should do well on the court in Houston, the question as always with him is will he do well in his own head?

Old 07.08.2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

H-town has so many nudie-bars, Dwight and Harden will hit them all up! The strippers are rejoicing....
Old 07.08.2013, 05:13 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 07.09.2013, 02:20 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

So now Lakers signed Chris Kaman. Poor Pau Gasol. I ain't hating on Chris, indeed last year before the Birdman showed up I was saying Heat should have signed the dude, but on the real, Pau is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Chris Kaman, and Pau should be the starting center, and Jordan Hill should play back up, that is, unless somehow Hill is now our starting power forward since it looks like World Peace is getting amnestied. So Lakers have negative defense now? They are going to just shoot the ball for the other team too, save them the trouble?

Old 07.09.2013, 02:35 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

So wait, who the fucked edited this thread so that it starts with posts I made a month ago? Am I tripping or didn't Rob just start this thread yesterday with his comments here?

Old 07.09.2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I did just start this thread but like silk from a silkworm's asshole, it grows and grows and never slows
51 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth