Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Recommend me some poetic/emotionally affecting hip-hop.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.19.2009, 06:55 PM   #21
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I waited all day just to see who would finally say it. nobody. not even danny himself.

screaming skull had the next best answer imo (if not just as good).

although I'm not sure what emotion that you are looking for. I consider "FUCK YEAH" a pretty powerful emotion. that applies to a lot of rap I listen to.

anyways...
Code:
I am posdnous I be the new generation of slaves here to make papes to buy a record exec rakes the pile of revenue I create but I guess I don't get a cut cuz my rent's a month late product of a north carolina cat who scratch the back of a pretty woman named hattie who departed life just a little too soon and didn't see me grab the plug tune fame

that shit's sad. his mom died before Plug Tunin' "broke" de la.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 07:54 PM   #22
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Alias - Other Side Of The Looking Glass. Specifically Watching Water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOiK6YwyY44) and Inspirations Passing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8Cb...eature=related). It's a great album, and though lyrically it's sometimes too melancholy, the drumbeats are always sharp and catchy.

There are many songs that I can think of: a few on the Slim Shady LP, a few of Tupac's, Suicidal Thoughts by Notorious BIG. There was a period in the late '90s where nearly every gangster-rap album, after numerous references to fucking bitches and shooting fake Gs, would end with a token 'from the heart' track (i.e., DMX, Ja Rule) where the rapper(s) would wonder if there is a Heaven for a G or reveal that sometimes thugs cry too (say, when their homies die or if they have a pain in their balls). Overall they're probably not good examples though.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 08:31 PM   #23
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Atmosphere. Slug's my fav MC. Got me too see that hip hop isn't all shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
The new atmosphere is pretty poetic.. "When God hands you lemons you paint that shit GOLD".. but you can tell he's making it more commercial. Which is fine by me the beats are pretty badass.

How is it more commercial, out of curiosity?
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I waited all day just to see who would finally say it. nobody. not even danny himself.

I was holding back. I always end up bringing them into every hip hop related discussion because they're my absolute favourites. But since we're making a soul effort..

Code:
They name's Plug Two, And from the soul I bring you The Daisy of your choice- May it be filled with the pleasure principle In circumference to my voice. About those other Jennys I reckoned with? Lost them all like a homework excuse. This time the Magic Number is two, Cuz it takes two, not three, to seduce. My destiny of love is brought to an apex- Sex is a mere molecule In this world of love that I have for you. It's true, I know I love you better..

Ecoutez
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:19 PM   #25
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
How is it more commercial, out of curiosity?

Well.. Maybe he was just trying to get his beats more cut.. but you can definitely see the transition.. like there's more synth and theyre more complex... and he was on mtv for a little while.. and I just wonder, 'are you trying to look more cut, or fit to the commercial hip-hop audience a bit more'

just my interpretation.

but like.. just hearing stories about him from some friends that met slug at parties.. he's a total dick. all about the success, let it get to his head.. wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to 'make it big', you know?

my friend (whos a young up-coming rapper in the mpls area..) was like, 'how do i get into clubs?' and his response was, 'tell them you're me.'
and another friend of a friend met him at a party.. explained that he was one of his favorite rappers and blhablhablhablhablhablaha. his response, 'i dont need another fuckin' fan.'

so, like.

yeah.

not that this affects how i see him musically, but it does raise questions about what exactly he's trying to do with his music.

Better_Than_You is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 10:52 PM   #26
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
Well.. Maybe he was just trying to get his beats more cut.. but you can definitely see the transition.. like there's more synth and theyre more complex... and he was on mtv for a little while.. and I just wonder, 'are you trying to look more cut, or fit to the commercial hip-hop audience a bit more'

just my interpretation.

but like.. just hearing stories about him from some friends that met slug at parties.. he's a total dick. all about the success, let it get to his head.. wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to 'make it big', you know?

my friend (whos a young up-coming rapper in the mpls area..) was like, 'how do i get into clubs?' and his response was, 'tell them you're me.'
and another friend of a friend met him at a party.. explained that he was one of his favorite rappers and blhablhablhablhablhablaha. his response, 'i dont need another fuckin' fan.'

so, like.

yeah.

not that this affects how i see him musically, but it does raise questions about what exactly he's trying to do with his music.

I actually thought it was less commercial and that it also had a lot less sampling with more live instrumentation.

But that stuff you said about Slug sucks. I didn't know he was like that. I hate it when people you admire turn out to be dicks.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 01:43 AM   #27
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Twalib Kweli

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 07:58 AM   #28
kittymagic
little trouble girl

kittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard suckakittymagic cold hard sucka
check out curse ov dialect or def wish cast
kittymagic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 08:11 AM   #29
al shabbray

cLOUDDEAD-dto.
cLOUDDEAD-ten

I know the lyrics are often just nonsense. but I dunno... the whole package is pretty emotional to me.

same for themselves in a different way., at least some racks like "good people check"
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 09:19 AM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I second the DE LA SOUL - Buhloone Mind State, De La Soul Is Dead, and Stakes Is High

I throw out Gangstarr STEP IN THE ARENA, HARD TO EARN, MOMENT OF TRUTH

and Tribe Called Quest - Beats Rhymes & Life, Midnight Marauders, and LOW END THEORY

Digable Planets - Reachin', Blowout Comb

The ROOTS - illadelph halflife, things fall apart,

Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

I'd throw out my FAVORITE ever PUblic Enemy but they tend to agitate women. too many women do not know what it is like to savor the musical agitation.
Old 06.05.2009, 09:34 AM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
BUHLOON MINDSTATE is incredible.
Old 06.05.2009, 09:58 AM   #32
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
ironically(given what started the thread) outkast is the most poetic and emotionally affecting artist mentioned by far
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 10:00 AM   #33
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
^not sure I disagree.
Old 06.05.2009, 10:05 AM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I completely disagree
Old 06.05.2009, 10:10 AM   #35
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I completely disagree

all the artists, while some are very good, are a joke compared to prime outkast, except public enemy whose music is not poetic and emotional

and i have heard EVERY single one of them
Old 06.05.2009, 10:13 AM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

again, I completely disagree.
Old 06.05.2009, 10:14 AM   #37
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

fair play

but if anyone thinks they heard a rap album half as good as atliens, either it was aquemini or a figment of yr imaginations
Old 06.05.2009, 10:25 AM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the most poetic MC of anyone on this list, truly poetic in meter, rhyme, wordplay, allusion, and creativity, is Trugoy the Dove from De La Soul.

Outkast is fabulous, no doubt 'bout it. innovative as all fuck.
Old 06.05.2009, 10:28 AM   #39
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
fair play

but if anyone thinks they heard a rap album half as good as atliens, either it was aquemini or a figment of yr imaginations

With all due respect, I'm not sure you have an inkling of a clue of what you speak.
Old 06.05.2009, 10:31 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rakim, Slick Rick, and Guru rhyme just as dope or better than anything outkast ever put out.

lots of bad-asses out there

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth