Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page May I have your advice on a track I just made?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.25.2008, 03:48 AM   #21
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I think this track is much better than the other ones, that carry a strong Constellation stigma.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 05:43 AM   #22
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I think this track is much better than the other ones, that carry a strong Constellation stigma.
Yeah, I only had a piano before (no Fruity Loops or stuff like that ) so I was only able to play that kind of tracks, and I was kind of limited with it; I feel freer now
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 06:36 AM   #23
al shabbray

but I really like your piano works too, strong atmospheres!!! its just another type of...erm genre.
or is slavo referring to something else?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 06:38 AM   #24
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I think he's refering to my piano works
By the way there'll still be some piano tracks on my next album
I'm trying to record them in a better way this time but I'm not sure if it's gonna be okay
Old 10.25.2008, 06:40 AM   #25
al shabbray

often bad recordings enhance the athmosphereic aspects.
for me (like I said somewhere here before):
atmosphere > technique
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 06:41 AM   #26
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Yeah you're right, there's a feeling of melancholy that comes with bad recordings, especially with piano (see Mogwai's "Oh How The Dog Stack Up" or last part of first track on Lift Yr Skinny Fists by GYBE). I don't know what I'll do with those piano tracks
I have to re-record them anyway, cause most of them are only recorded in a demo state
Old 10.25.2008, 08:12 AM   #27
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
exactly as you said with the Mogwai and Godspeed tracks..the resemblance is there and is too obvious.
that's why I like your last song a milion times more.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 12:59 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
while I too, don't really understand the need for the intro, I enjoy the tune.

the sound used and the chords progression remind me of the very first SILENT HILL soundtrack composed by Akira Yamaoka in 1999 - an essential work for all noise aficionados. also something by Brad Fidel... 80ies, man!

thumbs up!

fucking a, I was gonna call it some fucking SILENT HILL shit!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 09:33 AM   #29
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Hey there
I've recorded two of my piano tracks for the new album this morning, advices about them would be appreciated as well I tried to improve the recording quality, and I think I've done: even if it's not perfect, the sound is really much clearer. Let me know what you think about it, the tracks, the recording, etc... Thanks

The Sun And Moon Cult Under The Invisible Bridge
And They All Could Feel The Special Atmosphere In The Air On That Precise Moment

(yeah I thought I'd give them ultra long titles )
Old 10.27.2008, 01:44 PM   #30
SYRFox
invito al cielo

bump
Old 10.27.2008, 02:09 PM   #31
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Hey there
I've recorded two of my piano tracks for the new album this morning, advices about them would be appreciated as well I tried to improve the recording quality, and I think I've done: even if it's not perfect, the sound is really much clearer. Let me know what you think about it, the tracks, the recording, etc... Thanks

The Sun And Moon Cult Under The Invisible Bridge
And They All Could Feel The Special Atmosphere In The Air On That Precise Moment

(yeah I thought I'd give them ultra long titles )

the quality is great. I love your piano tracks, what more can I say?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 02:14 PM   #32
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Thanks

(btw to answer your comment, I play an upright piano - I think that's the right expression. It's a Scherer that we bought seven years ago - but it needs to be retuned now, it's kind of out of tune.
Old 10.27.2008, 02:17 PM   #33
al shabbray

its really expansive to tune a piano if you cant do it by yourself isnt it?
I thinks it sounds fantastic
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 02:31 PM   #34
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
its really expansive to tune a piano if you cant do it by yourself isnt it?
I thinks it sounds fantastic
yeah it's really expansive - and it's kind of impossible to tune it yourself, you have to own very special instruments. it's like 100Ђ to tune it all the time, and you're supposed to tune it every year (I think it's been three years since I last tuned it now )
Old 10.27.2008, 02:36 PM   #35
SYRFox
invito al cielo

anyway a piano always sounds good
Old 10.27.2008, 03:04 PM   #36
al shabbray

yes its the holy cow of instruments for a reason I think.
did you have lessons? or did you taught it yourself?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 04:14 PM   #37
SYRFox
invito al cielo

I attended lessons (piano + music theory) at a music school for 6 years - from September 2001 to June 2007. At the end I was able to play some rather complex Debussy works, but since I left the school I think I have lost a bit of technical skills (I'm not pretending I was a piano genius before); but I didn't really needed them for my compositions anyway, they're not too technical to play.
What I've gained from lefting the school, however, is a certain liberty: I mean before, I was sometimes (often while improvising) stuck in theory, like I would always fall into chords I had studied or whatever; it's not the case anymore
Old 10.27.2008, 04:23 PM   #38
al shabbray

I feel that.
Ive never took guitar lessons, and of course I lost a year to lern the basics, but when Ive played with other guitarists who took lessons I felt like Ive gained something more important for me, freedom in how to play something. thoe guys where always kinda trapped in how to do something. I kept this D.I.Y. style, hahha not everybodies cup of tea, of course.
and since i am almost playing in non-standard tunings only I am way too far out for every guitarero Ive met so far (thats the reason in the first place why Ive started to make the music I am doing now, hahaha)
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 04:45 PM   #39
SYRFox
invito al cielo

guitar heroes suck. it's another different thing, there's no really piano heroes (ahah) i guess (except really really good players but they won't go playing hours-long solos... maybe i don't know too many piano players though)
but yeah, it's great to have a little freedom, especially when you try to improvise...
Old 10.27.2008, 04:48 PM   #40
al shabbray

yes there isnt anything worse then somebody who thinks he is technically better then nybody else when it comes to music. its NO competition its art for fucks sake. but alot of guys tend to make a competition out of everything, I think that sucks big times, and especially a lot of guitarists are this way, but I am sure thats because the guitar is maybe the most played instrument?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth